3D printing requests

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

3D printing requests

Post by LordPanzer »

Hello fellow tankers. I do not have a 3d printer and don't really have a want to go buy one at this time. Yet it seems there are very talented people out there that are able to print just about anything. I had picked up a used Tamiya King Tiger and I have a vision of turning it into a E75 of sorts. I have found website that sells 3d printing files and has a E75 files available. I'm not looking to have the whole tank printed. Just the rear deck, the exhaust and maybe a few small details pieces.

So my questions would be. Can anyone recommend someone who could print for me ? Maybe someone state side to save on shipping and exchange rate. What type of price range am I looking at? How does 3D printed materials stand up against the plastics used compared to say a Tamiya plastic. Is there alot of sanding and filling needed or are printers able to print smoother surfaces now then years ago ?

Thanks for reading along.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: 3D printing requests

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I can get it printed for you no problem but I expect I would be charged for the service. But if you get stuck let me know and I will get it done
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hi mate, I am sending you a private message right now.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Anyone with a printer can print what you need, just like anyone with a rattle can can paint your car.
The best advice I can give you is to get the parts you need printed on a resin printer, detail is fantastic, no layer lines & very little clean up required. Resin printed parts should be as clean or cleaner than Tamiya parts.
Do a local search to you, you’d be surprised how many printing companies there are
Normal FDM parts are ok but clean up time can vary a lot dependant on the experience & skill of the person doing the printing
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I quite like the idea of a resin printer, but I would need quite a sizeable printer to print a hull in one piece
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

Hello everyone. I had recently downloaded these files from turbo squid and have them saved in my Google drive. Im looking to see if anyone knows of a printer in the US who could print these for me? Unfortunately in this current day the shipping and exchange rate is not in my favor coming from overseas.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. ImageImage

Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

You do realise that the 3D assets on turbosquid are not necessarily 3D printable? That fan detail will get lost for sure unless you pay a lot of money for professional hi-res printing.
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

Tiger6 wrote:You do realise that the 3D assets on turbosquid are not necessarily 3D printable? That fan detail will get lost for sure unless you pay a lot of money for professional hi-res printing.
I can work around not having the fan and creating that another way yes. I do not have the skill set,printers or background to be able to look at these files and determine the best way to print. Which is why I'm asking the RC Tanking folks and not just running to a local craft store to have just anyone print.

Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

Honestly, if you are not expecting what you see on the screen then just buy an Ender 3 off of Amazon? Cura is a free package for generating the Gcode that the printer interprets. So long as you have the STL format file you can drop into cura, you simply click 'slice' and you are good to go. There is no skill involved once you have the STL. None what so ever! Yes you have to be able to maintain your printer and recognise when it is starting to go wrong, That's not a whole lot of work, just keep a good stock of spare nozzles, bowden tubes, and connectors handy.

There are plenty of youtube video's and Reddit threads that will help you get the best out of your printer, but that is all optimisation, and to be honest the Creality machines are so well supported in Cura that its pretty effortless.

The only rule I follow is that the most detailed face of the part needs to point upwards on the print bed in order to get the best finish. Anything else is just tweaking printer settings to get the best out of your machine and your preferred filament supplier.
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

Tiger6 wrote:Honestly, if you are not expecting what you see on the screen then just buy an Ender 3 off of Amazon? Cura is a free package for generating the Gcode that the printer interprets. So long as you have the STL format file you can drop into cura, you simply click 'slice' and you are good to go. There is no skill involved once you have the STL. None what so ever! Yes you have to be able to maintain your printer and recognise when it is starting to go wrong, That's not a whole lot of work, just keep a good stock of spare nozzles, bowden tubes, and connectors handy.

There are plenty of youtube video's and Reddit threads that will help you get the best out of your printer, but that is all optimisation, and to be honest the Creality machines are so well supported in Cura that its pretty effortless.

The only rule I follow is that the most detailed face of the part needs to point upwards on the print bed in order to get the best finish. Anything else is just tweaking printer settings to get the best out of your machine and your preferred filament supplier.
Thanks Mr Tiger. Possibly down the road I may consider picking up a printer and fine tuning the process. Unfortunately it's just not in my cards right now to start that from the ground up. My work space is in a garage with varying temperature and humidity but planning on a indoor hobby room at the end of the year if goes as planned. So till then I'd prefer to have someone who has all the things you've mentioned above along with the experience to complete a project.

Return to “3D Printing”