1/10 RC military models is it a thing?

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Sergeant

Re: 1/10 RC military models is it a thing?

Post by Xiaoshan_Sailor »

Kaczor wrote:1:10 is nice middle of the road size but there is lack of military figures and accesories.
Thats why I have Captain America in my Hummer. That said, you'll find a few torsos available but its not a deal breaker for me, especially given what can be 3DP. Plenty of 1/10 crawler accessories, even some figures, if you want to mash up something.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hmmmm, I'm tinkering with the idea of a 1/10 Nashorn after seeing Waynes 1/6 Nashorn gun, 1/6 is too big for me and my printer but I should be able to handle 1/10 scale.....

Maybe it's a temporary project while I'm in limbo waiting for my dratted house sale to happen.

Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Xiaoshan_Sailor wrote:
tankme wrote:Jerry over on RCU got the Hooben T34/85 in 1/10th and wasn't impressed with it.
Its actually a T34/76 & have been following. Saw him post a few hours ago on FB stating he couldn't get the TX/RX to bind. Told him early on after getting the Hetzer the first thing you want to do is bin the electronics as well speaker. I did ask today if he ever gets it running as stock I'm curious to know what sounds they used for the T-34 - hope its not the same Tiger sound effect they used for the Hetzer. :haha:
I knew it was a 76. Not sure why I put 85...and I don't even drink. :)
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
jcarducci
Recruit

Post by jcarducci »

I believe I'll answer the primary question first. "1/10 RC military models is it a thing?"

Of course I'll say yes having spent a larger part of my modeling 'career' with the scale. However it all depends on your point of
view. If you seek easily available inexpensive models as a norm then no it isn't a 'thing'. Up to recently it's not been so in the US.
Even though in Japan, Germany and a few other locations it was more prevalent than many other scale years ago. Before Tamiya released it's Sherman and Imai its Elefant really starting off 1/16 as a scale there was only Bandai in the 1/16-15 arena- 1/10 scale had already made an entrance; the only other scale armor vehicles you read about were in the scratch builds in 1/8- 1/7 scales because builders could use fairly readily available bicycle chain as the basis for tracks. 1/6 scale was pretty non existent.

1/10 scale armor has always been costly in my experience, usually due to smaller manufacturers making their products by labor intensive methods. Like anything else they've only become more expensive until Hooben came along. Some question why is it that since 1/10 is a popular car and truck scale why hasn't that carried over to armor? These two RC branches really don't share much in common unfortunately. The latest spate of 1/12 scale military trucks isn't really helping rather making for more confusing choices. With regards to Hooben I've been both pleased that they've come out with their 1/10 series yet annoyed that so far they haven't payed much attention to even the basic level of detail that other 1/10 scale models have had for years: As Charles will tell you one of my hot buttons is lack of rubber tires: inexcusable in this scale. I'm rather alarmed with how fast Hooben is putting out new 1/10 models; again I hoped that they would focus on upgrades and improving their platform.

It is true that I have a pretty large collection of 1/10 armor and related models; I've seen first hand as many as I own so I can say I have some insight with these. I'd really like to see more enter the market with even better detail and more robust construction. In contrast to the Hooben T-34 I just received which weighs what 15-20 pounds at most any one of my Panthers weigh in at 75 pounds, my King Tigers at close to 100. I like what Hooben is doing make no mistake, I just hope they quickly abandon the toy mode and begin to either offer serious upgrades ( and not just have them as vaporware) or even better make their 1/10 platforms much more robust. 1/10 models really shouldn't have substantial amounts of plastic or at worst it should be fiberglass.

I haven't had the chance to revisit the T-34 binding issue although sadly I'm not highly confident it will work unless I've overlooked something or have failed so far to properly follow their instructions or worse their instructions are incomplete or incorrect. If I continue to have issues I'll give Hooben a chance to assist first however I may have options. I can't help but think how I'd feel if this was my introduction to 1/10 armor. It would leave a sour taste in my mouth as Hooben isn't exactly giving these away... All this and I've not even had a chance to run it to see if it can withstand just normal operations without breaking something. I'm known for babying my models; I'm by no means into 'thrashing' anything. I do expect a model tank to be able to traverse grades, dirt, loose dirt, some mud and pavement. I try not to run in sand, gravel, rocks through deep water and grass. Hooben has their own running recommendations as laid out in their manual.

Jerry
Stay home, build a tank save a life!

http://tanks.linite.com
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Excellent replies and discussion points guys, i am going to have a good proper read thru again, but yeah it does depend on your point of view.

As i said in my thread start, i see more and more talk and builds in 1/10 and it would be interesting to have something larger without being massive, but also something that could be compared against crawlers and other vehicles.

The 1/12 models sure are becoming interesting, but just the wrong scale as there is little in 1/12.
I have just put together a 1/10 Flak 30 and it does look pretty darn cool, but i still think mostly i have to stick to 1/16 due to space.
Never know i may put together some of my other model designs in 1/10 scale. Time will tell.

If you are going to have a tank hauler and trailer with a tank 1/10 is going to need some space haha, i maybe pass on that. 1/10 trucks are BIG, heck 1/14 are big enough. :)
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Nice handy size ;)
Attachments
IMG_9387s.jpg
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jcarducci wrote:I believe I'll answer the primary question first. "1/10 RC military models is it a thing?"

Of course I'll say yes having spent a larger part of my modeling 'career' with the scale. However it all depends on your point of
view. If you seek easily available inexpensive models as a norm then no it isn't a 'thing'. Up to recently it's not been so in the US.
Even though in Japan, Germany and a few other locations it was more prevalent than many other scale years ago. Before Tamiya released it's Sherman and Imai its Elefant really starting off 1/16 as a scale there was only Bandai in the 1/16-15 arena- 1/10 scale had already made an entrance; the only other scale armor vehicles you read about were in the scratch builds in 1/8- 1/7 scales because builders could use fairly readily available bicycle chain as the basis for tracks. 1/6 scale was pretty non existent.

1/10 scale armor has always been costly in my experience, usually due to smaller manufacturers making their products by labor intensive methods. Like anything else they've only become more expensive until Hooben came along. Some question why is it that since 1/10 is a popular car and truck scale why hasn't that carried over to armor? These two RC branches really don't share much in common unfortunately. The latest spate of 1/12 scale military trucks isn't really helping rather making for more confusing choices. With regards to Hooben I've been both pleased that they've come out with their 1/10 series yet annoyed that so far they haven't payed much attention to even the basic level of detail that other 1/10 scale models have had for years: As Charles will tell you one of my hot buttons is lack of rubber tires: inexcusable in this scale. I'm rather alarmed with how fast Hooben is putting out new 1/10 models; again I hoped that they would focus on upgrades and improving their platform.

It is true that I have a pretty large collection of 1/10 armor and related models; I've seen first hand as many as I own so I can say I have some insight with these. I'd really like to see more enter the market with even better detail and more robust construction. In contrast to the Hooben T-34 I just received which weighs what 15-20 pounds at most any one of my Panthers weigh in at 75 pounds, my King Tigers at close to 100. I like what Hooben is doing make no mistake, I just hope they quickly abandon the toy mode and begin to either offer serious upgrades ( and not just have them as vaporware) or even better make their 1/10 platforms much more robust. 1/10 models really shouldn't have substantial amounts of plastic or at worst it should be fiberglass.

I haven't had the chance to revisit the T-34 binding issue although sadly I'm not highly confident it will work unless I've overlooked something or have failed so far to properly follow their instructions or worse their instructions are incomplete or incorrect. If I continue to have issues I'll give Hooben a chance to assist first however I may have options. I can't help but think how I'd feel if this was my introduction to 1/10 armor. It would leave a sour taste in my mouth as Hooben isn't exactly giving these away... All this and I've not even had a chance to run it to see if it can withstand just normal operations without breaking something. I'm known for babying my models; I'm by no means into 'thrashing' anything. I do expect a model tank to be able to traverse grades, dirt, loose dirt, some mud and pavement. I try not to run in sand, gravel, rocks through deep water and grass. Hooben has their own running recommendations as laid out in their manual.

Jerry
I followed the link Xiaoshan gave to your site and, at random, had a peek at the Panther project :O My eyeballs nearly fell out. :D The scale engineering on display there- involving, lathe, casting and more, was simply breathtaking. :clap: I would really like to make a Churchill or Comet in 1/10 scale- but would have to take a very long apprenticeship (another lifetime- perhaps :think: ) to begin shaping one with anything like the skills you have on display there. Many congrats :thumbup: !
Just for the general behoof, here's a link to show what made my eyes pop:
http://tanks.linite.com/pf.html
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jcarducci
Recruit

Post by jcarducci »

That's the beauty of modeling though: you can build with whatever materials you feel comfortable with. I've seen fantastic models
built with just about any materials you could think of. Steel, aluminum, plastic, wood, fiberglass you name it. I started
with metal models and due to what my dad instilled in me decades back I stuck with it but it didn't have to be that way.

I hope anyone who wants or aspires to wanting a 1/10 scale model doesn't let the choice of materials deter them. Build with
whatever suits your skill and tools. The guys with cad and 3D print skills will rule the world. I wanted to use the little 3D printer
I have to make a sort of dual chamber( "Duolamp"?) tail light for my Kaelble truck but grew annoyed at an online cad pgm so I've
chosen a method more familiar to me.

Just enjoy yourselves.

Jerry

Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I did see a 1/10 Sheridan on eBay earlier. Tamiya I think it was, but the seller could have listed the size wrong
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
jcarducci
Recruit

Post by jcarducci »

Exhibitedbrute wrote:I did see a 1/10 Sheridan on eBay earlier. Tamiya I think it was, but the seller could have listed the size wrong
To my knowledge Tamiya has only offered the 1/16 scale Sheridan and as far as I am aware have never offered any 1/10 tank model.
They should...

Return to “General Discussion”