1/10 RC military models is it a thing?

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
jarndice
Colonel

Re: 1/10 RC military models is it a thing?

Post by jarndice »

Will01Capri wrote:Its all good discussion.
Recently i have also started my own 1/16 Garden railway, but using track that is strictly not to scale, but there is only so far you can go. I do not intend to make my own gauge rail, so happy to keep my narrow gauge 1/16 on 45mm track as you could argue that in some countries it may have been close enough haha
Just about every country in WW2 used all the gauges that were available from Narrow gauge through to Broad gauge so no problem with the track as long as the rolling stock is to scale.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
cupra313
Recruit

Post by cupra313 »

I recently made a 1/10 is-1. The reason i went with 1/10 is that the driving characteristics of 1/16 are nowhere near my liking. A 1/10 is heavier,suspension works much better,it can go almost on any terrain...I could go on but you get what i mean,it simulates the real thing better.

I own 2 1/5 gas cars and 1 1/4. Also last year i made a 1/10 hemtt which is over 1.1m long and around 25kgs. My is-1 seems pretty small to me to tell you the truth. That's why i started planning to build another tank in larger scale. To make a model feel like a real tank you need weight,you need mass,things that arent available in smaller scales. That's just my perspective. Below a photo of my is1, of my 1/4 mcd next to my dog and of the hemtt to get an idea of the size.

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

cupra313 wrote:I recently made a 1/10 is-1. The reason i went with 1/10 is that the driving characteristics of 1/16 are nowhere near my liking. A 1/10 is heavier,suspension works much better,it can go almost on any terrain...I could go on but you get what i mean,it simulates the real thing better

The addition of Metal Tracks to a 1/16 Tiger1 changes the look and the handling thereby bringing the Tank much closer to reality than a Nylon/Plastic tracked version which in comparison is more toy like.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

My colleague Bernard made wonderful scratch builded 1:10 scale 7TP and T-34. But during club meetings he is somewhat outsider, his tanks don't fit on 1/16 diorama. As I said before, 1:10 is nice scale to show modeller's skills but not much practical in case of group meetings.

Out of the box 1/16 tanks have often terrible gearbox ratio and stiff suspension but with some modification you can achieve realistic effect. Proper electronics are also helpful as stock HL or Taigen are more toy-like.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

As others have already mentioned, 1/16 scale seems to be the perfect balance for giving enough detail and being able to have enough space to keep them all. The majority of us seem to be collectaholics and our collections are well into double figures so space is at a premium. I must admit that if space and money wasn't an issue I would love to have a 1/6 scale tank even if I just used it as a coffee table in the living room and admired it :haha: :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

And 1/16 can be very realictic ;)
phpBB [video]
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

cupra313 wrote:I recently made a 1/10 is-1. The reason i went with 1/10 is that the driving characteristics of 1/16 are nowhere near my liking. A 1/10 is heavier,suspension works much better,it can go almost on any terrain...I could go on but you get what i mean,it simulates the real thing better.

I own 2 1/5 gas cars and 1 1/4. Also last year i made a 1/10 hemtt which is over 1.1m long and around 25kgs. My is-1 seems pretty small to me to tell you the truth. That's why i started planning to build another tank in larger scale. To make a model feel like a real tank you need weight,you need mass,things that arent available in smaller scales. That's just my perspective. Below a photo of my is1, of my 1/4 mcd next to my dog and of the hemtt to get an idea of the size.

I meet the person now with the cool Hemtt which inspired me on some other builds. Welcome in.

That hemtt is properly wicked.
The other models are sweet aswell
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I love the anti theft unit for your RC race car!
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

jcarducci wrote:I believe I'll answer the primary question first. "1/10 RC military models is it a thing?"

Of course I'll say yes having spent a larger part of my modeling 'career' with the scale. However it all depends on your point of
view. If you seek easily available inexpensive models as a norm then no it isn't a 'thing'. Up to recently it's not been so in the US.
Even though in Japan, Germany and a few other locations it was more prevalent than many other scale years ago. Before Tamiya released it's Sherman and Imai its Elefant really starting off 1/16 as a scale there was only Bandai in the 1/16-15 arena- 1/10 scale had already made an entrance; the only other scale armor vehicles you read about were in the scratch builds in 1/8- 1/7 scales because builders could use fairly readily available bicycle chain as the basis for tracks. 1/6 scale was pretty non existent.

1/10 scale armor has always been costly in my experience, usually due to smaller manufacturers making their products by labor intensive methods. Like anything else they've only become more expensive until Hooben came along. Some question why is it that since 1/10 is a popular car and truck scale why hasn't that carried over to armor? These two RC branches really don't share much in common unfortunately. The latest spate of 1/12 scale military trucks isn't really helping rather making for more confusing choices. With regards to Hooben I've been both pleased that they've come out with their 1/10 series yet annoyed that so far they haven't payed much attention to even the basic level of detail that other 1/10 scale models have had for years: As Charles will tell you one of my hot buttons is lack of rubber tires: inexcusable in this scale. I'm rather alarmed with how fast Hooben is putting out new 1/10 models; again I hoped that they would focus on upgrades and improving their platform.

It is true that I have a pretty large collection of 1/10 armor and related models; I've seen first hand as many as I own so I can say I have some insight with these. I'd really like to see more enter the market with even better detail and more robust construction. In contrast to the Hooben T-34 I just received which weighs what 15-20 pounds at most any one of my Panthers weigh in at 75 pounds, my King Tigers at close to 100. I like what Hooben is doing make no mistake, I just hope they quickly abandon the toy mode and begin to either offer serious upgrades ( and not just have them as vaporware) or even better make their 1/10 platforms much more robust. 1/10 models really shouldn't have substantial amounts of plastic or at worst it should be fiberglass.

I haven't had the chance to revisit the T-34 binding issue although sadly I'm not highly confident it will work unless I've overlooked something or have failed so far to properly follow their instructions or worse their instructions are incomplete or incorrect. If I continue to have issues I'll give Hooben a chance to assist first however I may have options. I can't help but think how I'd feel if this was my introduction to 1/10 armor. It would leave a sour taste in my mouth as Hooben isn't exactly giving these away... All this and I've not even had a chance to run it to see if it can withstand just normal operations without breaking something. I'm known for babying my models; I'm by no means into 'thrashing' anything. I do expect a model tank to be able to traverse grades, dirt, loose dirt, some mud and pavement. I try not to run in sand, gravel, rocks through deep water and grass. Hooben has their own running recommendations as laid out in their manual.

Jerry
I am interested as I want to push some things I fesigned in the 1/16 scale to larger proportion, want to try and test limits on 3dp of certain parts. But I have one vehicle in mind to do that in both scales. I am still not sure about 1/10 for military models, but the idea is we will have a play and see where it takes us. Never say never :)
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Xiaoshan_Sailor
Sergeant

Post by Xiaoshan_Sailor »

I'm not rigid when it comes to scales, especially where I live, since nobody in the region has any interest in IR battle - all they want to do is gather together & parade their tanks on erstwhile driving courses set up by several well-known brands in an effort to market themselves at annual events - BORING ain't the word!

In my opinion 1/10 is the sweet spot for AFV such as light tanks & thin skins that are too small to obtain proper scale performance that I am interested in modeling.

Return to “General Discussion”