Aec Matador build.

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Aec Matador build.

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hi Roy,

The donor chassis was from a 6x6 vehicle so it was a little longer than the standard 4x4 version, the front axle was left in it's original position but the rear axle was moved back a little to give the distance needed between front and rear wheels, the chassis width is as standard so no problems there, if you need any info during your build please ask :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

The distinctive look of the truck for me Kaczor is it's front snub nose look, it reminds me of the vehicle equivalent of a British bulldog :D :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Lee, with such a long distance between front and rear axles, how did you fit the driveshaft?
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Really coming together and looks great.
I can't wait to see this finished, i think more of us are thinking about a Matador project now haha
Not going to send you the bits for the next project until you have finished here first hahahahahahahhahahaa
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Estnische wrote:Lee, with such a long distance between front and rear axles, how did you fit the driveshaft?
The front axle is the same distance from the motor as originally intended so you can use a standard driveshaft, the rear driveshaft needed to be extended quite a bit though so I used 2 of the wpl metal driveshafts and used both the open cylindrical ends from each set, I then used an aluminium tube which fits into either end and extended the distance needed, next I then drilled holes into the aluminium tube through the slots at each of the wpl ends and pushed a dowel through the holes so the tube would turn when the driveshaft spins, hope this may be helpful to you :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thanks Will :D I'll finish this build in double quick time then so i can get my next fix of parts from you :haha: :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"I used 2 of the wpl metal driveshafts...both the open cylindrical ends...an aluminium tube fits into either end...extended the distance needed...pushed a dowel through the holes so the tube would turn when the driveshaft spins..."

Apparently the driveshaft's length can be fixed; that is, there is not need for the shaft to extend and retract as the axles spring up and down. Am I right about this?
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Technically that is correct professor, the original heng long and wpl driveshaft setup would still work in a fixed state as there is a limited amount of movement from the leaf springs. I find that when modifying these chassis it is also wise to upgrade those as well by either doubling up on the metal one's or replacing with a stronger printed set, I have done a couple of builds myself where the driveshaft has been fixed in position as i didn't require suspension, not that these vehicles have that much to offer in that regard anyways :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Thanks for your rapid reply, Model Builder. Here on RCTW I have seen discussions of the WPL springs. I have a few of the WPL trucks, and I keep trying to store information in my numbskull :eh: in case someday a kit shows up to fit the chassis with a WWII vintage Deuce-and-a-Half.

Now "if I were a rich man" :'( I would pay you an outrageous amount to make me an Aec Matador and a GMC CCKW. :P
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi,
That is one awesome truck, very atmospheric and beutifully executed.
:clap: :clap: .
Regards.
Sub.

Return to “Heng Long Trucks”