Tiger at Kharkov

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Tiger at Kharkov

Post by Soeren »

Got the order of Montana Spray Cans today. Actually the "Everglade" color is the greenish brown. Is it coffee with milk or baby poo? Well, it is slightly darker an less ochreish than the Vallejo modelcolor RAL 8000. Good primer color if you ask me.

So it was time to spray the wheels and prime the hull. Almost one can down.

The roadwheels were "evergladed" and the outer wheels got a highlight of VMC RAL 8000, the sprockets were painted RAL 8000 without priming. The Colors are slightly different, but go together very well.

Same treatment to the 1/16th scale wheels.

The color appears lighter on this pictures than what I see with the naked eye though

I feel that a dark brown wash and then some serious highlighting of the outer wheels should be a good start. Will do this together with the hull which I just started working on.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

“Baby Poo” :haha: :haha: You must be a good Dad! You did a good job of spray bombing of those wheels. Your plans for adding a wash will really bring things together. This is exactly why I have often said that this forum is my most useful modeling tool.
You’re sharp photography is a big bonus.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Hey there. Thanks for stopping by. No, the metal parts are painted with the spray paint directly. It is really tough once fully cured. No need for special primers.
Last edited by Soeren on Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soeren

Tiger at Kharkov

Post by Soeren »

Jimster wrote:“Baby Poo” :haha: :haha: You must be a good Dad! You did a good job of spray bombing of those wheels. Your plans for adding a wash will really bring things together. This is exactly why I have often said that this forum is my most useful modeling tool.
You’re sharp photography is a big bonus.
My intention with the wash as next step is applying it as post shading and afterwards do the final highlights. Just as a starter for some definition. But I just identified some missing detail on the hull front. This is weldlines and missing bolt heads on the final drives. Those things have to be addressed first.Image
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Tamiya is missing quite some detail on the hull. The front section needed screw heads and weld lines. For the front panel I glued some styrene card on to build a channel to add the recessed weldline. All the raised welds I will do with styrene rods this time. When softened with cement they can be shaped with knifes and a piece of shaped brass tubing.Image

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

A good upgrade that Schumo do is the idler support for Tamiya Tiger. Cheap and easy to fit.

Would recommend a gearbox driveshaft bearing support too.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Hey there. I just saw those idler supports for the first time. I already wondered why Tamiya left a hole in there. That is a must have for sure. I didn’t see the support for the drive shaft though. Which set do you have in mind?
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Thank you that looks like a useful piece as well.

Mentioning useful, is the DKLM gearbox brace of any use and will the Taigen metal tracks work with the Tiger? I realized that the Tamiya tracks have solid guide teeth.

The build until now is straight forward. It has lots of wheels :O Having the separate rubber rims it is still easy to do, unlike the 1/35th scale kit where I will have to paint the rims of 48! wheels. I know why I only did steel wheel Tigers before.

Also getting a feel for the color now. It is appearing very similar to olive drab in its properties and looks like a camouflage color unlike this light sand of later.

Soeren

Post by Soeren »

I started on the PE, as it was the recent step in the Tamiya build. Front fenders this is. Cut the kit parts down, one PE fender complete, the second needs the brackets still. And received the latest ABER product for the early Tiger.

As if it wasnt enough already :crazy:

Return to “Tamiya Builds”