Tiger at Kharkov

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Ad Lav
Captain

Re: Tiger at Kharkov

Post by Ad Lav »

Time to take the gearboxes out and have a look. Never had a problem with the last three tamiya Tigers rubbing. Could be worth checking the manual and seeing if something got left off or put on in wrong place?
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Yes, did that already. Only thing I could find until now is the roght gearbox flexes slightly onwards. But I will check again.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Axles etc all on correctly with the right orientation?
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

From what I see, there are not too many options how to build this. All the running gear is attached to the metal part of the hull directly, all screws on the rails for the swing arms are tight. The right side swing arms face to the bck and the left to the front. The gear boxes are symmetrical. I cant find anything that is wrong with those. They can only be screwed in one way, and allign themseves. Also pushed the gearboxes as far outside as possible during tightening the screws. That will give just enough clearance. But the tolerances while running will most likely result in slight rubbing. Have no idea what else to try. It is just a bit too tight on the right side.

Had demounted and remounted everything just now and the issue is still present. Schimming with a 1mm piece of metal to the end of the drive shaft would help. But that should be the method of last ressort.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Very unfortunate situation for such an expensive kit that has the reputation of being the very best.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

I changed the sporckets between sides, It is the drive shaft not sticking out far enough, you can see that in comparison with the two gearboxes mounted. It must be something with the metal chassis. The swing arm is a s far in as possible. Tried that as well.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Hi Are the gearbox's hard against the hull , if not why not drill new holes for the standoff's to line up the sprocket with the wheels. My KT gearbox's sit about 5mm in from the hull sides.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

You bought the kit new or second hand?

I wonder if the wrong gearboxes are inside... I don’t have a tiger anymore to measure.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

It is a new kit, it has the correct sized gearboxes. They are not meant to press against the hull sides. They are flat against the hull and sit tight. You can wiggle them a bit though during mounting. With pushing em out as far as possible I can get them to almost the same amount of shaft clearance and to the same specs on both sides. It is within increments of 1mm now. Still the space between the sprocket and the swing arm on the right side is really really tight. I would say very close to 1mm. The right side gearbox also has a bit more play. I will see how it works. Still didnt get the brace yet.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Things are going slower after the summer holiday ended. Sanded the muzzle brake and used mr surfacer to smooth it down. The Schumo Muzzle Brake is the best value for money piece you can get for this part. Sufficient detail and light. Won’t go with anything else unless you want the highly detailed aber piece.

Also did some work on the side fenders after adding texture to the hull. I didn’t bother adding the aber mounting blocks as the Tamiya part is good enough. You have a pe weld bead frame for this anyways. Not that you will see anything of it once the fender is on. Aber wants you to attach a small rectangle piece to the tip of the mounting block. I don’t see the point though. When you attach the screws there is kind of a washer underneath that you fold over. Nice detail and it is reasonably thin to make shaping real easy.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Return to “Tamiya Builds”