A Panzerturm for Alpha

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: A Panzerturm for Alpha

Post by HERMAN BIX »

EAO wrote:Mr. Bix,

Wow, carpentry too! :crazy: There's another thing (besides electronics, and RC tank building) that I'm not too good at! :/ I do it, and do it right, but really don't enjoy it all that much! :lolno: I do however, really like demo! It takes very little skill to smash things!

I think your Panzerturm is looking just fine!

Cheers,
Eric.
Thanks Mr EAO, I too am not a real fan of wood, ya cant join strongly it if you get it wrong, and the stuff just doesn't have an affinity for shaping, well not to me anyway !
The roof concerns me, robust but simple and light(in case it needs to be posted ;) )............thats the aim, plus it has to look close to the picture.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

All the main panels are timbered with the larger planks.
The side in the view of the real picture with the officer peering in has now begun to have the small window sections installed.
Cutting matchsticks to length, then in half down their length :/ :/
Again, PVA glue is used but is slow to cure.
I'll get there....................eventually
Attachments
P3030002.JPG
P3030001.JPG
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Mr. Bix,

Don't forget to center your studs! HA! :D Just kidding, it's coming along just fine! I also see that you have your Papa Stalin portraits framed too! Very nice!

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Good Grief PVA is a tough tool to work with !!!............
Slow to cure and has a capillary behavior that defies gravity AND the time/space continuum!!
That aside, (Retired) Gen Alpha's bunker is coming together now.

I stumbled over the mesh I needed to get the match for the security panels as are visible in the period picture.
In a local hardware chain store(Bunnings for the locals) while the Wife was setting up for a school fund raising sausage sizzle, wandering around looking for any object that looked like the material that looked remotely like that of the stuff shown in the picture from the day.
Apparently in the home storage section, they have various baskets you use for paperwork & stuff like that(if thats your OCD thing) who knew :think:
Well, in white or black, pressed steel mesh, $14.95AUD (thats about 3 pence/Euro for those with real currency :/ ) I got enough to make loads of screens! AAAaaand I got a sausage to boot ;)
Tough to cut though being steel, but once the edge trim is put on all panels, and painted, it should look good.
Got a bit of Kiwi blood spilled cutting the sections, but it was worth it.
The roof was a weapons grade pain in the ass to get to get right. :problem:
Again, the PVA glue & shape angles, plus its need to be supported more than a functioning alcoholic at a beer festival ,meant a long slow process to get it done. :/

A bit to do on the roof details, and the lower facade details, but the final form is there.
Still to place the flat timbers and other bits as seen in the period picture, which should help to add strength to the structure.

I still would appreciate any of our members that can speak French(not google) giving me direction on how to correctly make the sign on the roof that reads something like :

GENERAL ALPHAS JOURNAUX...........or............GIRLS UND PANZER JOURNAUX........(but written in spoken French)........
Thats the key for me to be able to send this off as I feel it should be.

Its my intent to complete this project and make it available to be repatriated to Hawaii where it could be retained by the man that gave me the motivation and means to do it, or, turned over to the relatives of the Late General for their care & fate.
Either way, I just want to get it right as much as my skill will allow.
Attachments
P3200006.JPG
PROPPED UP WITH A TEXTER
PROPPED UP WITH A TEXTER
P3130004.JPG
P3130003.JPG
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Shootermcgraw
Private

Post by Shootermcgraw »

All I can say in my inspiration is after reading this from the original post: Herman Bix your the man! From a nobody in this field.
Very grateful to have seen this...and from the photos so far! The anticipation killing me....Just say-in

Sent from my 9032Z using Tapatalk

You can call me Will:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Herman!
Your Skill is superlative. Thank you for all the blood and sweat poured into this. *bows*
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Shootermcgraw wrote:All I can say in my inspiration is after reading this from the original post: Herman Bix your the man! From a nobody in this field.
Very grateful to have seen this...and from the photos so far! The anticipation killing me....Just say-in

Sent from my 9032Z using Tapatalk
Thanks Mr McGraw, its an honor to carry this out. I regret its too late for the Late general Alpha to have & enjoy, but its still a great project for a very great reason, helped out by a great & generous benefactor (yes, thats you Mr Sass)
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

PainlessWolf wrote:Herman!
Your Skill is superlative. Thank you for all the blood and sweat poured into this. *bows*
regards,
Painless
Its "all in a days work" Mr Wolf..............with so many folks doing it tough just to get to next week, and the General passing well before his time, it really feels like its too little-too late :(

But, the mission ahead is to do justice to the concept, realise the dream so to speak, and have this project completed with the level of respect & humble appreciation that I hold the General and his circle of close support deserves................you included Sir.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Herman,
For all the times that the General and I had intense commo sessions over features or detail on one tank or another, your kindness humbles me. I miss my Friend and am Very! glad that you and Sass ( you both are in that particular Circle) got together to build this Tribute for him.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

As its Easter, and we all have time on our hands to relax and recharge, what do you think happened ??..........

I got to cater for a family breakfast on Good Friday, that began at 0830, so I was up with the birds getting stuff prepared. :-<
So, once the Mother-in-Law arrived, I ceremoniously cracked the top off a Corona & bought the wrath of Khan down on my head :thumbup: (went on from there to Gin & Tonics to be civil, then later by 01100 Im on the Jack Daniels) cooking the bacon, herb'd mushrooms & Italian tomatoes outside on the bar'by, left mercifully alone ;)
Add in that its my Wedding anniversary tomorrow, I've not had any real productive time to get on with things. :problem: :/

BUT..........tonight I had a crack at making a wash/stain brew for the timber on this structure. Slightly dark at the moment, but once its sanded a bit & dusted over, the wood should go close to the picture.
Used a few acrylic paints thinned with turpentine to help the shade soak in. Seems ok but still to be weather'd.
The colour of the various panels are a bit of a punt though.
I am thinking that the large ones on the face with the door will be either a green or blue, the lower panels white, roof panels white, and the odd false window blacked out.
What do you reckon ?
Have I got the possible colouring right ?
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Battlefield Buildings”