A Panzerturm for Alpha

sassgrunt
Sergeant

Re: A Panzerturm for Alpha

Post by sassgrunt »

I don't know how you ever found those photos, but that's the most imaginative camouflage I've ever seen. I'll bet that Alpha is rolling on the ground (clouds) laughing his butt off about the idea!
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

sassgrunt wrote:I don't know how you ever found those photos, but that's the most imaginative camouflage I've ever seen. I'll bet that Alpha is rolling on the ground (clouds) laughing his butt off about the idea!
I agree with sassgrunt. Very unusual and very cool. This will be a very interesting and unusual build. I have no doubt that Mr. Bix will give it all the attention it deserves and end up with something very worthy and respectful. :thumbup: Watching with much interest.

Regards, Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Wow, what a sneaky disguise :clap:

Herman, when it comes to the fine mesh, if you have trouble locating any, may I suggest looking out for one of these, they should all be very fine mesh, but take a look at different makes, some may be finer than others.
Attachments
Screenshot_20201215-134340.jpg
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:This sounds a cool idea.

Herman, if not pink, how about a pinkish/red brick one :D :thumbup:
Brick camo, how cool! :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

In the quiet times between xmas and new year commitments I've managed to assemble the turret donated by Mr Sassgrunt.
The Panda Hobby Pz38t turret went together fairly easily, the parts are top quality and are robust. Thankfully Im not trying to get the thing automated, or assembly would have been more difficult.
As can be seen in the subject picture, the turret is slewed to the right when concealed so the barrel fits inside the wooden disguise.
I am assuming that due to the standardisation of German fortifications, the shape of the concrete bunker was the same as the images from other '38t Panzerturms around the place.
I took a guess'timate of scale by the height of the man peering into the window, and assuming he was a 6'2" Teuton, the wooden ledge was above his waist but below his shoulders.
I made the base block out of left over polystyrene packing & dug the clearance hole out of it with a steak knife & mellon baller !!
Then got the mini vacuum out to clean up the god-awful mess the stuff makes :/
The shell splash guard that slopes towards the turret was a separate piece cut to suit with the handy poly-cutter that I used on the R39 version.
No snow storm created when that is used.
That was glued with full strength PVA to the base block.
The upper hull plate was trimmed of excess material and test fitted.
By the looks of all the '38t Turms, the upper hull plate was always used in some form to allow trouble free mounting of the turret, rather than remanufacturing a new plate.
It can rotate a full 360 so maybe it can be made partially automated later.
The base block was glued to a section of 4mm marine ply that has a full covering of light oak stain/varnish to prevent warping and create a nicer visual effect.

Todays mission is to get the faux concrete finish on the poly block.
Then, on with the "ALPHA-JOURNEAUX" news stand !
Attachments
pzkpfw_38__t__937.jpg
pzkpfw_38__t__937.jpg (82.55 KiB) Viewed 4654 times
P1010010.JPG
P1010009.JPG
PC290006.JPG
PC260001.JPG
PC260002.JPG
PC270005.JPG
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Mr. Bix,

That's looking very sharp. Love the idea of using that block of polystyrene! :clap:

And it looks like the sun finally came out down under!

Happy New Year and to better days ahead,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Well, after a bit of a dysfunctional beginning to this, Im on again.
Got the sealer over the block to simulate concrete, not as smooth as the Germans version, but its going to be covered by a shed any way !
I used a grey colour base for the concrete, that has to be dry brushed over with a lighter grey/stone shade to get it better.
The turret and base plate received a red oxide primer, then hairspray(jeez that stuff is magnificent on the senses, smells like the Mrs getting ready for a big night out ;) ) then a can coat of TS 4 German Grey, which took on a nice hue once dry.
I also had a thought as to where the turret might have come from to end up there :think:
Ive gone with a machine from the early Polish campaign, sent to France for the 1940 invasion & scrapped there.
The turret stowage bin will have a tattered white cross on it, like the ones used in areas of the Polish conflict did.
Theorising that the machine has been used by various units into France, then either knocked out or suffered irreparable other damage along the way, so its turret was recovered for use in the 'Turm defenses...........
Once Ive got the tooth brush onto the Dunklegrau, it should come up good.

Then its onto the woodwork :problem:
Attachments
P1030005.JPG
P1030004.JPG
P1030003.JPG
P1030002.JPG
P1030001.JPG
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

It is looking really good. I am sincerely sorry that he is not around to watch your progress; I know he would enjoy it as much as the rest of us.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Yeah, it’s a bit like that.
It’s not a very exciting build for now, but the woodwork on the disguise will create a bit more interest I hope .
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

To tone down the grey on the bunker and make it look a bit more like concrete , I gave it a dry brush with Mr Surfacer 500.
Its much better.
The wooden frame has begun.
used balsawood square section for the main frame, notched & PVA glued.
Also drove dress making pins through each joint.
Once the glue has set on the base of the posts, more pins will be driven into the feet through the plywood base.
When that has set, I can get on with the rest of the cross members & roof braces.
Intend to use cardboard for the roof and lower side panels with balsa sections as required.
Plan is to make this solid, but light(in case it needs to ship somewhere ;) )
Attachments
chipped the base plate
chipped the base plate
P1100003.JPG
P1090002.JPG
P1090001.JPG
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Battlefield Buildings”