In a fit of madness... KV2

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
jonh
Private

Re: In a fit of madness... KV2

Post by jonh »

Just trying to pluck up the courage to remove to additional armor from the upper deck and hull. Given my very limited modeling skills I don't want to mess up the model but at the same time I know they should not be there. Spent some time today adding a battery box and neatening the wiring
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Excellent choice for a gear box! If I may ask, which control board are you using?
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Removing the armor from the lower hull is definitely not bad. I was able to remove it easily and fill the holes with some styrene rod that fit firm enough to not move. I dropped a little Tamiya Thin on the outside and the holes practically disappear with just minimal sanding. The add on upper hull armor is going to require some styrene sheet to cover holes left after it is removed. It's not major surgery, but it will require some time and care to remove. You can also remove the cylinder on the left side of the model that would hold the cleaning tools on a KV-1. The KV-2 did not have that mounted on it as the barrel cleaning tools are not the same. The saw on the left side can be removed if you want to represent a late war tank or just flip it around. Late war the saw was mounted inside the last tool box on the lid. The handles should be facing outward as far as I have researched to allow the wooden sleeve to be opened and have the saw removed for use. Both Tamiya and HL got it wrong. Or do it however you like...it's your model. :)
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
jonh
Private

Post by jonh »

Hi Jimster - I am using an IBU2U board.
Hi Tankme - many thanks for the advice. I think I will do it as in the end it will look more like a KV2.
jonh
Private

Post by jonh »

Well - armor panels removed, saw removed, tube removed from the upper hull. Will remove the panels from the lower hull when i next remove the electrics. Got some sanding and filling to do now. Will post some pics once it looks a bit presentable.
jonh
Private

Post by jonh »

After an inordinate amount of time spent filling, sanding down and filling and sanding down............. this is the result:
KV2 post mod.JPG
KV2 post mod.JPG (51.38 KiB) Viewed 2882 times
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Not a minute wasted, lovely job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MITCH
Lance Corporal

Post by MITCH »

Good work, the KV2 is a strange tank but I like it :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

You're allowed to post pics up to around 350 Kb on the Forum. Yours are coming in at around 50-60kb. Is there any way you could post your pics in a larger format? Most of us do. Why? well, then we'll be able to appreciate your impressive skillset, and the truly excellent results it's producing, in much greater detail :thumbup: The bigger, the better :wave: Give it a go. :D
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jonh
Private

Post by jonh »

Thank you for your kind words chaps. I can assure you I am in no way skilled at this but rather am trying to learn as I muddle through.
I will endeavor to post larger pictures.
Cheers
Jonh

Return to “Heng Long Builds”