Oh No! I fell off the tank-wagon again...

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Oh No! I fell off the tank-wagon again...

Post by Max-U52 »

Jimster's right about the Tiger, and this tank is the same way. As long as you use the matching sprocket you'll be fine. But just to be sure I'd check alignment at the sprocket with both brands to make sure they stick out the same distance.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

43rdRecceReg wrote: The Chinese do seem to have a reputation for copying and cribbing stuff. :shh:
That, my Friend, is an understatement of truly epic proportion. @) :haha: :haha:

:haha: :haha:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:Jimster's right about the Tiger, and this tank is the same way. As long as you use the matching sprocket you'll be fine. But just to be sure I'd check alignment at the sprocket with both brands to make sure they stick out the same distance.
A timely note of caution, Gary, old chum. Yes, I took the precaution of ordering Taigen sprockets and idlers. That should give me a fighting chance of having a runner, without out one of those 'what the hell have I done !: :problem: moments. That said, even approximate compatibility can convert into a good fit, with good will, lots of time and patience, and a set of needle files.
Failing that, a sledgehammer will do >:< :lolno:

As a fellow Imgur user, you may have noticed that one of the images I posted from that site has already been blanked out. That's a worry, and it's also the reason why I post a mix of photos from Imgur, and direct from my Mac. :problem:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks, Jim for the note of caution- and the Yoko reminder. Incidentally, when I'm not blowing a hard-earned pension on objects from a 1/16 world, I spend a lot of my time playing McCartney's best basslines (Rain, Penny Lane, Taxman, Something) on my Hofner violin bass, and the best of Harrison's electric 12-sting lines from the Hard Day's Night era, and earlier, on my old Danelectro 12-string (can't afford a Rickenbacker 360/12- but if I sold all my tanks, well...maybe :think: :D )
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

PainlessWolf wrote:Roy!
This is exactly what I want to do with my Panther G. Good to have a template to follow here ( and I am ;0)
regards,
Painless
Good to know you're watching, Painless :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The Panther sprockets arrived late yesterday. I have to applaud Forgebear :clap: ...despite the Covid calamity, he always delivers the goods, and promptly too. :thumbup: Up here in the Highlands, we're often treated as postal pariahs. Some even designate us as an 'island', :) rather than the Scottish mainland. ;) >:< Not Dave, though.
Anyway, on the compatibility theme here's a wee curiosity- the Taigen drive sprocket is a perfect fit for Tamiya tracks. Look:
[attachment=1]Taigen Panther sprocket with Tamiya track-pic A.jpeg[/attachment

If I have problems with the Heng Long metal tracks, I can always use the Tamiya ones. :)
As for the spacing, I have a collection of 8mm spacers and washers, and so the driveshaft and idler positions shouldn't engender a shouting session to wake the dead. :lolno:
In the meantime, I'm going to have a few days sport with the HL before I rip it to bits.
Attachments
Taigen Panther sprocket with Tamiya track-pic B
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

That is weird about the missing photo. Have you checked your imgur page to make sure it's still there?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:That is weird about the missing photo. Have you checked your imgur page to make sure it's still there?
:problem: Yep, Gary, I've well over 500 pics on there (under- 'royzone14'), but I did mention before, that it used to be the case if no-one actually clicked on your Imgur shots directly, after a few months
Imgur would delete them. I don't imagine anybody clicks on them, and so they may all vanish into the ether, in time. I thought this 'redundancy' policy had been sidelined, but maybe it's back in play.
Imgur is really handy for posting pics quickly, and with maximum- eye-catching sizes. Therefore, it'll be a real pain if it starts becoming like a certain notorious website that held archive photos to ransom. :problem: .
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I checked my imgur page and nothing is noticeably absent, and there's stuff going back three years. Can you reload the missing photo?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Back on topic, would a set of tracks with the winter thingies in place be right for a Panther G? Was there any special camo in winter? By the time the Panther G hit the field it was close to the end, right? Would the winter tracks look out of place on a tank with the three color factory summer camo paint? I've looked and I can't find a photo of a Panther G that's had the white-wash winter camo applied.

Return to “General Discussion”