Oh No! I fell off the tank-wagon again...

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Oh No! I fell off the tank-wagon again...

Post by Max-U52 »

And what about winter tracks on a jagdpanther? Did it happen?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:And what about winter tracks on a jagdpanther? Did it happen?
Until you raised the issue, Gary, I'd never thought about it. :) I've delved deeply into research on the Comet, Cromwell, Panzer IV, Tauchpanzer 111, and Tiger 1- but I've not really looked at the Panther in anything other than a basic trawl for info, and pics. I see that Heng Long Panzer.de does winter tracks (with the extra track cleats) for the Panther, and Jagdpanther- but I'm not inclined to fit them. That said, the ones I have already look fairly similar.
Here they are:
https://heng-long-panzer.de/en/Metal-Wi ... nther.html
I'm guessing that Panthers and Jagdpanthers fighting in the Ardennes from Dec '44 to Jan '45 might well have been fitted with winter tracks, but by then parts were in short supply- even paint for the tanks could only be found at the factories, and rarely at depots. :problem:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

As an addendum, I read that from March, 1945, Panthers had a base colour of dark green (Dunkel Grun)- so at least that's in keeping with the paint job on the HL Panther, and what I've gone with for the Taigen hull. :)

edit: Having just compared the Tamiya tracks I have, with the Heng Long metal tracks on my Panther, and with this image of Taigen winter tracks for the G/F models, I'd say the configuration is identical.
If this is the case, I was unaware that Tamiya's Ausf G Full-Option model had Winter tracks. Then again, as the Panther is not my fave tank- it's way down the list, in fact-I'd never given it rivet-counter level scrutiny. ;)
https://www.taigentanks.com/taigen-part ... /tag120678

No doubt some Panther buff will add some context here. :D
Here's a quick, and useful, precis of mods to the Jagdpanther G/F Ausfuhrungs:
https://firearmcentral.fandom.com/wiki/ ... er_Panther
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Another comparison, this time between Taigen drive sprockets and Tamiya Ausf G sprockets shows them to be a good match, from a dimensional standpoint. With minor(?) mods, then, it might be possible to fit Taigen's Panther running gear, and motors, to the Tamiya Panther chassis- if you needed to, that is. Vice versa ought to work, too. :think: :)
Taigen-(L)- and Tamiya-(R) Panther Ausf G drive sprockets compared-
Taigen-(L)- and Tamiya-(R) Panther Ausf G drive sprockets compared-
Taigen (L) and Tamiya (R) -in profile
Taigen (L) and Tamiya (R) -in profile
Having built a Tamiya Panzer IV, from spares, up to Full-Option standard, and a Tamiya Jagdpanther from a static kit to full-option, there were times when it was a real struggle to source the parts I needed. The expense was another headache. :eh: if there had been compatible alternative parts, there were times when I'd have happily fitted them, instead of of sticking to my (self-imposed) brief of creating 100 % Tammy models.
Lately, (and this is nothing to do with Rad's radical views on Tamiya Tanks :wave: ) I've found them rather boring. I love building them, and fully appreciate their superiority in terms of everything below the
hull deck: alloy hulls; the precison fit of engineered parts, etc. I also appreciate the accurate detail their researchers have brought to many of their full-option kits.
However, like quite a few members, I guess, I have no access to battle facilities, and so the IR, and battling features of Tamiya models are utterly useless to me. :/
At least with the HL and Taigen offerings, I can use BB's AND, I really like tanks that smoke, and have an array of lights. Tamiya models are totally bereft in the BB and smoke dept, and only a few models have any form of lighting to enjoy.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Roy The ice cleats were on every 3rd track not then all, all the metal winter tracks are wrong.
Ice cleats spaced out on tracks.
Ice cleats spaced out on tracks.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

ronnie42 wrote:Roy The ice cleats were on every 3rd track not then all, all the metal winter tracks are wrong.
P7125928.jpg
I can't say I'm surprised, Ronnie. They're just described and sold as 'winter tracks'. :)
The metal tracks certainly add a bit of weight. In fact, I think they help the tank to rub better on grass, so long as the grass is cut very short. They flatten the grass as they progress, without snagging on it.
On the subject of weight, the Taigen Panther metal chassis weighs in the region of 2.26 Kg (4.9lbs).
That's not a lot less than the whole HL Panther tank which, when shod with metal tracks comes in at around 3.6kg (7.9lbs). So the revised HL/Taigen hybrid will weigh considerably more than the original HL product.
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Another comparison, this time between Taigen drive sprockets and Tamiya Ausf G sprockets shows them to be a good match, from a dimensional standpoint. With minor(?) mods, then, it might be possible to fit Taigen's Panther running gear, and motors, to the Tamiya Panther chassis- if you needed to, that is. Vice versa ought to work, too. :think: :).
The biggest issue with putting anything other than a Tamiya gearbox into a Tamiya Panther hull seems to be the lower glacis. Are you able to take a few measurements Roy to see how Taigen manages that end without the slots in the hull that Tamiya has? I'm guessing the angle is probably different.
I have a PDSGB on the way for my static Tamiya Jagdpanther and I will start a thread for that build when I collect a few more parts and get started on it. I am expecting a few modifications will be required.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

B_Man wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:Another comparison, this time between Taigen drive sprockets and Tamiya Ausf G sprockets shows them to be a good match, from a dimensional standpoint. With minor(?) mods, then, it might be possible to fit Taigen's Panther running gear, and motors, to the Tamiya Panther chassis- if you needed to, that is. Vice versa ought to work, too. :think: :).
The biggest issue with putting anything other than a Tamiya gearbox into a Tamiya Panther hull seems to be the lower glacis. Are you able to take a few measurements Roy to see how Taigen manages that end without the slots in the hull that Tamiya has? I'm guessing the angle is probably different.
I have a PDSGB on the way for my static Tamiya Jagdpanther and I will start a thread for that build when I collect a few more parts and get started on it. I am expecting a few modifications will be required.
I'll look forward to the Tamiya Jagdpanther conversion thread. :) I'll have a look in my box of tricks to see what's left over from my own static to full-option project. I know, I have a spare bracket for the gun pivot assembly and the elevation motor attachment points, just in case. :) :thumbup:

With the exception of the Leopard and Abrams, Tamiya appears to use the same gearbox casing in all of its 1/16 static and full-option models. Position relative to the hull floor, sides, and final drive output
covers of the gearboxes is achieved by fitting standoffs of varying sizes. In the Taigen case, it's a mounting plate, and I've yet to open the HL model up to see what solution lurks in there. :think:
When putting the Jagdpanther together, I looked at the other gearbox options out there, including the PDSGB (which will only work with Clark, IBU2 and Elmod- I think?). In the end, after a few brick walls, it just seemed quicker- and cheaper- to borrow the boxes from the Tamiya Panther. ;)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Having now considerably more interest in the Panther, than previously, I found quite a neat little German webpage devoted to Panzer camo developments from 43-45. It's a scholarly contribution, and one that set me scurrying off trying to find some acrylic Olivgrün (RAL 6003) for the hull. Why? well, my Vallejo and AK-interactive collection hadn't moved with the times-the war years, that is, and I was stuck
with the old 'Dunkel' trio of earlier war years (Grun, Gelb und... Rotbraun-hmmm....so..that's dunkel duo, actually :D ). Late '44 and '45 vintage tanks used RAL 6003, in the main. This explains why my dark green hull now
looks the wrong shade to be a rough match for the pea-coloured green of HL's upper hull. :/ ;) . Olive-green for brush, and airbrush,is now on order. Typical: yes, this is the hobby that keeps on taking :lolno:
Here's the article I liked:
http://kfzderwehrmacht.de/Homepage_engl ... _-_45.html
I'm also a fan of the Tank-encyclopaedia. It's articles get better and better, and the pics are always a cut above the average. :thumbup:
https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi ... anther.php
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I'm watching this one closely, as I have the same tank waiting in the wings. I believe it will get V3 electronics and stay airsoft, with most of the efforts going into detailing.

I've always thought the cheap Panthers were vastly overlooked. In fact, I even made a video four years ago that says just that.

phpBB [video]

In the video I talk about how Imex is looking at the Panther for improvements, shortly after that they introduced the Panther F with the all metal lower. With all the options available today it makes builds like this much easier. I have box full of brand new parts right now that will eventually become a King Tiger with Porsche turret on the metal lower that usually comes with the Henschel version.

This was about the fifth or sixth tank I bought, in my first six months in the hobby, and this tank is how I met Erik. Now you can get the Panther F, but I still think these low cost HL Panthers are a real good place to start. I also did a low cost HL Jagdpanther, bought it for $109, put about $700 into it and now it's one of my jewels. Another example about how RC Tanks can be like breast augmentation, the more money you put into 'em, the more fun they are to play with. @) @)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!

Return to “General Discussion”