Oh No! I fell off the tank-wagon again...

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
oldowl1953
Recruit

Re: Oh No! I fell off the tank-wagon again...

Post by oldowl1953 »

Hello 43rd,

I appreciate the tips on weathering the out of box tanks. I have noticed some of the tanks are a little more paint detailed than others so I'll need to pick my paint updating battles carefully. I did drop by a local hobby shop and they did have a couple of the Tamiya rust, mud, dirt and weather related paint compacts to try my hand at it. I have several WPL trucks so I think I will sacrifice one of those my grandsons have already started on the natural process. After I have a little confidence I will work on the Tiger. As you mentioned the history of the tank is what breaths a little life into these mechanical creatures and what makes them beyond just a toy model. I have read a piece about the German tank command that created quit a bit of chaos around Normandy the later part of the war and his Tiger was 007. I think I will try to emulate his tank and if I purchase a Sherman I'll see if I can convert it into a Firefly and pay tribute to go the Canadian that finally ended his campaign.

Thank you for your help and I do think your Panther is a great example to aspire to. My grandsons and son in law are starting a website to document and video some of our exploits. It's grandpasrcgarage.com so in awhile please take a look. I'll try to show progress on the Tiger and other tanks if a find some ambition.

Regards,
Grandpa
Heng Long - Jagpanther Pro / Tiger I Pro / Panzer IV F Pro / Stug III 5.3 / King Tiger Premium / Leopard 2A6 Pro / Panther G / German Panther / KV-1 Pro / T-34/85 / T-72 / Challenger II / M41 Pro / M4A2 / M1A1 / M26 5.3
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Many thanks, Painless, and Grandpa (although I think a might have a few years on you, Gramps :D ). Right- well, it's eyesore time, then. :)
I'd considered levering the cover off a Tiger headlamp, but found I could scuplt one with Milliput- without too much difficulty. It should stick when solid, and shouldn't cause the LED to overheat...I think :problem: :D
A tiny bit of post-petrifying wet and dry, and some paint should make it look discrete, whilst retaining its functionality.
HL Panther- Milliput headlamp shield
HL Panther- Milliput headlamp shield
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Nice! You’re quite the sculptor.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:Nice! You’re quite the sculptor.
I've been called many things in my time, Jim, and many of them unprintable- but this is the first time I've ever been described as a sculptor :D In these, my 'twilight' years, 'firsts' are an increasing rarity. :)
The Grim Reaper one, though, is one I'm hoping to avoid for quite a few years yet. 8O :D
Milliput, as I'm sure you know is an essential in the modeller's toolbox- and it's made in Wales (Gwynedd). So, apart from Rugby, singing, and sheep-shagging ( :shh: ) our Celtic cousins do make some useful products.
The shield is really modelled on the British pattern; but, as I said at the outset, :thumbup: it's nice to drop the semi-perfectionist scratch-building for a while, and just go for a 'runner'.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I recently purchased some Milliput but not sure when I’ll use it. It just seemed as if I should have some on hand after hearing about it so often.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:I recently purchased some Milliput but not sure when I’ll use it. It just seemed as if I should have some on hand after hearing about it so often.
It's very versatile. You can make Zimmerit with it, make repairs, fill gaps, or even fabricate parts (as in this instance). It takes quite a while to set rock-hard, but that allows plenty of time to bash, soothe, or cajole it into any shape you choose. It also doesn't leave a sticky mess on shirt sleeves, hands, the partner's favourite furnishings etc., :eh:
Here's a useful intro. Marco also compares it with all the other types of putty, and filler, used in modelling.
phpBB [video]

I sometimes use Tamiya putty as well for tiny gaps, but Milliput has the big advantage of being odour-free. This allows you to contemplate the full aroma of your favourite 'amber nectar' (say- Glenmorangie 10-year old malt) when doodling away. :thumbup:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

I used white milliput to fill some chips in the kitchen tiles a few weeks ago. It's handy stuff.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I used Glenmorangie 10-year old malt with chips for my supper last night. Works a treat :thumbup:
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

B_Man wrote:I used white milliput to fill some chips in the kitchen tiles a few weeks ago. It's handy stuff.
Yes, and for repairing favourite ceramics, knocked over in those more carefree moments. It comes in five varieties, and can be used for everything from (full-size) Boat repairs, fixing terracotta, masonry, and so on...
It can also be used on metals, wood, glass, and well- this is what the makers say about it:

https://www.milliput.com
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

General Jumbo01 wrote:I used Glenmorangie 10-year old malt with chips for my supper last night. Works a treat :thumbup:
:D Yes, but roast tatties give it a slower release into the bloodstream; thus minimising unwanted paint blobs, excess glue, and Elastoplast finger repairs, from gung-ho modelling scalpel use :)

Return to “General Discussion”