Grammer.

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Grammer.

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

jarndice wrote:The United States Army may call it the Latrine the British Army call it the Ablutions !!!
I thought the Ablutions was the act of going :think:
Who calls it the dunny then?

This conversation reminds me of a time I was working on the first floor of a house in Wimbledon Hill with a pair of plasterers. Just the three of us in the house.
And as lads do, we lowered the tone of our conversation, and ended up keeping a tally as to which naughty parts had the most slang names for it, male or female, as we shouted back and forth, back and front of house with our "words." After some time there was a little pause in our shouting, and a little posh female voice calls up, "I bet those throats could do with some tea!"
Boy, was we quiet, you could hear a pin drop before we cried with embarrassed laughter :{

The male part won, but please do NOT post your names for them, because I will have to remove them ;)

Oh, and that part of Wimbledon is very expensive, only for the very rich. For those that aren't familiar with the town.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I feel certain that Herman will confirm that the "Dunny" is an Australian expression :thumbup:
The Ablutions is the structure, It is also the act of going to, using, and coming from the Ablutions.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

jarndice wrote:I feel certain that Herman will confirm that the "Dunny" is an Australian expression :thumbup:
The Ablutions is the structure, It is also the act of going to, using, and coming from the Ablutions.
Oh yeah to Australian :{

As for the Ablutions, I guess I'm just that bit younger than you to have missed out on that one ;)

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I'm not sure where it started but my favorite expression for that is, I've got to see a man about a horse. 8)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

And after a big Sunday dinner sometimes you gotta go “drop the kids off at the pool”.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Jimster wrote:And after a big Sunday dinner sometimes you gotta go “drop the kids off at the pool”.
That's my favourite :thumbup:

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Max-U52 wrote:I'm not sure where it started but my favorite expression for that is, I've got to see a man about a horse. 8)
This side of the water it is Gotta see a man about a dog, Then we have--- Gotta take the wife's best friend for a walk, or going to point percy at the Porcelain,
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:
Max-U52 wrote:I'm not sure where it started but my favorite expression for that is, I've got to see a man about a horse. 8)
This side of the water it is Gotta see a man about a dog, Then we have--- Gotta take the wife's best friend for a walk, or going to point percy at the Porcelain,
I can still smile at the smut, double entendres, and seaside postcard humour of 'Carry On' films...until, that is, they're finally banned from out screens by the Thought Police.
One, in particular, comes to mind- 'Carry on at Your Convenience', about the travails of a toilet manufacturer: 'WC Boggs'. 'Covenience' is a polite euphemism for 'Bog,' or 'WC' (Water Closet).
I grew up with 'Bog', and Bogs. By the by, 'Bog 'is one of the few native Celtic words to have survived the English invasion... :) ) and so for me, Bog it remains. :thumbup:
Going for a 'slash' often indicated the bladder release function, whilst I coined the phrase 'going to bomb Dresden', for the other. That was to amuse my kids. Lest is causes offence, though, I should point out
that Dresden and nearby Meissen were once world-famous for China, and so this, in turn, was a reference to the 'porcelain' toilet theme... :think: It wasn't meant to detract from the horrors of the Firestorm ...
(and no, I don't mean after a Madras Curry :O ).
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Roy you be careful you don't set fire to your tyre back peddling so fast :haha: :haha:
CARRYING ON with these "Accidental" remarks pertaining to the last unpleasantness could have you going the way of the BBC and its faulty towers repeat debacle. :crazy:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

So the Scots are descended from Celts? Why do I keep thinking the Scots used to be the Picts? So does Scotland have a separate language, like Wales and Ireland? And no offense through ignorance intended, just trying to learn.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!

Return to “Off topic”