Hiding in plain sight...

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Hiding in plain sight...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

silversurfer1947 wrote:Camouflage is a very strange science. You don't necessarily have to make something blend in with its surroundings to make it difficult to attack. Just think of the dazzle camouflage on ships. Also I can remember a TV programme which disguised a troop carrier by putting lights on it!
Strange, and fascinating too, Richard. :( When you consider how the evolutionary quest for survival has driven some Moths to resemble Hornets (via 'Batesian Mimicry'); insects to look like twigs; a spider to disguise itself as bird poo, in order to prey and to escape predators- just to cite a few examples.
Here's a handy link to some other extraordinary examples from nature.
https://www.plt.org/educator-tips/camou ... e-examples

This pic is of a spider disguised as bird excrement, and not bird excrement itself. :O :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Now if l were a spider l'd sooner be eaten than look that bad. But yes, it's easy to mislead people into thinking you are something other than you really are. For example, if you join a tank hobby forum all the other members assume you are another bloke.

General Jumbo aka Mrs Maria-Rose Smith :eh:
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:|
General Jumbo01 wrote:Now if l were a spider l'd sooner be eaten than look that bad. But yes, it's easy to mislead people into thinking you are something other than you really are. For example, if you join a tank hobby forum all the other members assume you are another bloke.

General Jumbo aka Mrs. Maria-Rose Smith :eh:
Yes, GenJ, times are hard. Even so, I don't think that spiders- unlike Humans- are troubled by vanity. :think:
I guess, we all wear some sort of disguise, often in order to conceal truths that even we don't wish to face. If your alter ego happens to be Mrs. M-R. Smith, all I can say is- I hope you're happy with it ;)
In reality, we all end up looking worse than bird-shit, and that's a truth than all too many of us are going to have to face- probably before our time. :(
Right now, I'm enjoying listening to 'Brothers in Arms', by Dire Straits, and perhaps- with a headband- I could disguise myself as Mark Knopfler. However, that wouldn't fool anyone. Still, I canplay his amazing guitar part. That makes me feel it's good to be alive- a feeling requiring no disguise in plain sight :thumbup: Slainte!
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sat May 23, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01

Listening to Brothers in Arms is a good place to be. You are a bad influence because l've just grabbed a large pile of Dire Straits / Mark Knopfler DVDs which will now dominate my day, stopping all planned work. Having finished my T-90 yesterday l was going to dust off my SU-100 and Megatron projects today but tomorrow will do!

Thanks for that inspiration Going Home at Hammersmith first, a favourite :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Listening to Brothers in Arms is a good place to be. You are a bad influence because l've just grabbed a large pile of Dire Straits / Mark Knopfler DVDs which will now dominate my day, stopping all planned work. Having finished my T-90 yesterday l was going to dust off my SU-100 and Megatron projects today but tomorrow will do!

Thanks for that inspiration Going Home at Hammersmith first, a favourite :thumbup:
Glad to be a bad influence in this instance. :thumbup: :wave:
The 'Brothers in Arms' guitar solo is one of Knopfler's sweetest, and worth learning note for note. 'Your latest trick' is also another outstanding track, but especially for the sax theme that runs through it. My favourite guitarists- those who play 'melodic' licks (I've no time for 'shredders) are: Mark Knopfler, Carlos Santana, Jerry Garcia, and Richard Thompson. For folk style- Bert Jansch and John Renbourn.

Going wildly off theme...well, here's Knopfler disguised as a younger version of himself in a grainy video...playing an amazing solo to 'Sultans of Swing':
phpBB [video]

and the theme from Local Hero- 'Going home'
phpBB [video]

Enjoy.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

...back on the In Plain Sight theme. In the Ardennes, Germans took the most obvious form of disguise- the enemy uniform- to new and notorious heights. However, their attempt to make a Panther look like an M10 is actually quite impressive. Pics were lifted from ' The Tank Encyclopaedia'- to give them their due credit.
and the real thing:
General Jumbo01

That's a clip from A Night In London, a small concert organised by Jules Holland many years ago - one of the best. Mark plays all his favourites with all his top musician mates. It was the very dvd l watched first! Superb mix ... Canabals, Golden Heart, and many more including Brothers in Arms. Now you've done it! I still have six more concerts to watch!!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

You sure know how to open a can of worms, Roy. Best guitar solo of all time? Hmmm, Mark is a damn fine ax man, but better than Tommy Bolin? And what about Whole Lotta Love? I've always thought that was the best solo ever recorded, and to this day it makes me stop whatever I'm doing and get out my air guitar for Jimmy's awesomeness right after the strange part. 8) 8)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
General Jumbo01

Marks talent goes beyond solos though. Song writing and getting together other great musicians to create a sound that is both original and all absorbing. I would not claim he is the best but he certainly ranks up there for me.

But then so does Handel, Bee Gees, UB40, Roxy Music, lan Dury and so many others that fill my music racks and wandering mind!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

General Jumbo01 wrote:That's a clip from A Night In London, a small concert organised by Jules Holland many years ago - one of the best. Mark plays all his favourites with all his top musician mates. It was the very dvd l watched first! Superb mix ... Canabals, Golden Heart, and many more including Brothers in Arms. Now you've done it! I still have six more concerts to watch!!!
I've often been into the early hours on Youtube following a Knopfler inspired theme. :thumbup: The same goes for a select bunch of musicians I've followed over the years. :D

Return to “General Discussion”