Early m4a1

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Early m4a1

Post by Model Builder 4 »

To be totally honest with you I'm not really sure what they are :haha: I started the main body of the build nearly 2 years ago so they have been on there for a while. If you read any of my build threads you will most probably find some unusual items that I use within them. I'm always on the look out for handy items that I can use in any of my builds and the vision ports are two such items, I've used a spare pershing road wheel to make a spot light on my M51 Sherman and even the inside of a tyre valve from a car wheel to resemble an aerial base :crazy: I'm sorry I can't be of more help but I'm sure you'll come across something that you can use for them :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Last edited by Model Builder 4 on Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Here are a couple of different angles so you can hopefully get the idea of them, still can't remember what they made from though :haha: :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

From this angle they look like either some sort of panzer hinge or plasticard. Either way it gives something to work with
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

I know I used 2 parts on each of them so they could be made from anything :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I’m sure I have something around I can use
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

So on discovering an issue with the supplied hatches I put this to the jury, which is best.

Printed hatch or metal hatch supplied.
Both will require filler one way or the other
Attachments
4CBC66C2-AD45-4B71-8CE0-E44E17FC1C08.jpeg
4CBC66C2-AD45-4B71-8CE0-E44E17FC1C08.jpeg (82.08 KiB) Viewed 1445 times
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

I used a printed set from shapeways and designed by woz :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I know as much about Shermans as I do about Diplomacy, but I like the one on the left side.
Chancing a guess that the material is easier to work with to get right than the other one ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

The one on the left is a re-design of some I bought off shapeways a number of years ago that are now on my a2. The biggest improved feature our design the hatches open, shapeways do not,

I have been comparing with mr gunner on this as he has bought the same cast top from Ludwig so any help you can offer me may also be of help to mr gunner as it seem we have the same problem, the metal hatches are to big and the disc that goes in that hole is to small, perhaps a design flaw but an easy fix I hope
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Well, the periscope "disk" is more than a millimetre smaller in diameter than the hole it's meant to fit in. The periscope lid/cover is too long to fit within a protective cage should someone want to add one, it's longer than the disk hole diameter. And the periscope itself looks about the correct size, but for some reason, the indent in the undersized disk where the periscope sits, is far too big. But, nothing that can't be sorted with some plasticard.
I prefer the fit of the metal one within the hatch hole in the hull. Otherwise it's a lot more work to make an undersized hatch fit.
And lastly, if you want a driver figure poking his head up, the larger size is probably best.

I'll try and dig out my Nick Aguilar and my dgsselkirk small hatches this evening and do a comparative photo or two.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “Other Builds”