SAMOKHODNAYA USTANOVKA-152/KV14 RENOVATORS DREAM!

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: SAMOKHODNAYA USTANOVKA-152/KV14 RENOVATORS DREAM!

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I showed a regular delivery man my T34 T-shirt with the Russian slogan "come to the dark side, we have vodka." To see what he thought of the translation as he is from Yakutsk in Siberia. He told me that spelling, and even accurate translation can change by region within Russia.

Anyway. Well done Mr Bix, this 152 is looking. . . .
Attachments
20201019-222320.jpg
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I gotta get a tube of that stuff !!

Pigment is messy to apply, well, its is if you like a lot of it like I do, but it sure does add to the finish.
I used a mix of Europe Earth(MIG3004) and Russian Earth(MIG3014) in an irregular application to cover the lower hull, tracks, and guards etc.
Slightly diluted PVA glue onto the relevant surfaces and dab the brush into the pot & onto each area, mixing the product on the brush and mostly using both at the same time.
The 200L fuel drum used for spare Diesel has been painted in Italian colours. Apparently there were several brands of distillates and oils exported in the '30's from Italian makers, so I took the view that this machines crew picked up one old drum from a village somewhere in the area & used it to increase the stored fuel capacity.
None of the outboard tanks were directly hooked into the machines fuel system, rather they were simply used to top off the internal tanks as required.
Still to really chip it up make it look the part, but you get the idea.
I also searched for anything I could use as shell cases for the rear deck. These massive weapons used 2 part ammo, so the internal space for ready-use ammo was tight. Many records of the floor being awash with extra cases and projectiles 8O
I hunted the gun world for any straight cased ammo that is close to the scale.
Came up with .38-55 Short Win that has an almost parallel case, and now I have 60 rounds that I can cut down to the correct scale length.
They will need the rims thinning and the primer hole filling, but they will look ok once blended in.
There is a great period picture on one with the rear deck covered in fired cartridges that I may take some inspiration from to a lesser degree on this build.
I have the spare track segments set on the back guards, and the stowage bits almost done.
Attachments
PB300012.JPG
PB290011.JPG
PB250006.JPG
PB250005.JPG
PB250004.JPG
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Herman!
It is looking every bit the war weary Beast that it was in real life. A Beautiful job on applying the realism out of a can and bottle! ;o) Did I hear you mention spare track? Did you finally get the envelope of stuff that was mailed out? Following along!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I don’t usually like soviet armor but you have really created a very realistic model. The weathering and detailing is first rate.
I bet that 38-55 is a fun plinking round! I reload my 44-40 with blackpowder for my 1860 Henry.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Thanks lads, No progress for a few days as I’m off yo be a “ dance-dad”
My girls have the end of year show that they spend 4 nights a week training for.
It’s all about costumes and makeup for me for the nxt 3 days :/

I have got the old oil drum looking pretty good. It’s been sealed, hope to wash it & secure it to the deck on Sunday when I get home .
Some tarp stowage is on, still to secure a box to the engine rack & fit the tow cables.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Got back last night after a frantic few days of show biz living!!
The girls had a wow of a time and the dance mums/moms cut loose on Saturday night after the shows, some pleasantly disgraceful behaviour from otherwise reserved types :/ :haha:

Got the drum washed and secured.
More stowage to attach then the tow cables.
Attachments
BF73B7AD-C88F-4DC0-843B-3F496A4CE20C.jpeg
7AAAC476-E92E-45F3-B0DF-9295F586CFA7.jpeg
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Im getting the final touches done this weekend.
The tow cables presented a bit of a problem as to have them on & in the right place, but leave the upper hull easy to remove for battery changes etc, they had to be mounted in some sort of remove/reinstate way............ :think:
Once pigmented in the relevant places and secured to the front 'D-shackles' I figured that the tightening dogs could be used to remove the cables for each battery change & then to re-secure them once ready to run.
I did use some of Mr Soerens(KV-1) methods to get the weathering the way I wanted it, cant go past a "Michael Angelo" & not try to paint a close version of it when perfection is on display eh !
Stowage is all on & I hope to be able to call it by Sunday.

Then on with the next project as we do :/ :crazy:
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi Mr Bix.
What a transformation, very realistic and full of atmosphere, :clap: very well done Sir.
Sub.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Mr. Bix,

She's looking "right as rain". I really like what you did with the 55 gallon drum. I love the weathered, washed out look that you gave it. :clap: I see a strong contender for TOTM! And I've always wondered, how do you guy's decide when your project is considered finally "done"? :think:

Regards,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Sub wrote:Hi Mr Bix.
What a transformation, very realistic and full of atmosphere, :clap: very well done Sir.
Sub.
Thanks Mr Sub, not as much of a transformation as your flat white sheets into a stealth bomber-tank :haha:
Appreciate the credit mate, its coming out good enough ;)
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Other Builds”