Tamiya Jagdpanther and Plate Spinning

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Tamiya Jagdpanther and Plate Spinning

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ad Lav wrote:Very smart!

Might I suggest a set of Schumo track holders? The pins and wires are beautiful pieces and not too expensive.

Also, if you’ve not done it, an idler bearing - Schumo do one which is cheap and works well.
Don't ya just miss having a JP around the house, ? :D Schumo track holders, yes, sounds good :thumbup: The ones on my Comet I made myself, in fact; but it took a fair while, and about as much patience as I can muster. :lolno: Just to refer back to the 'Plate Spinning' meme, though- for the present the JP will get tidied up, weathered and coated; but the Comet is nagging away in the background :/ it's a positive tracked tantrum, in fact. :)
I really want to fit the rotation system now, as well as the control system. I've solved the problem with the recoil unit clearance, and the turret roof's a great fit now, as well.
Then I'd hoped (weather deities permitting) to a get a few days of calm Autumn weather to start painting my Tamiya Pz IV Ausf J, in Finnish livery. cue: More plates spinning..
I have the unfinished StuG IV; A Tauchpanzer 111....and, well you know how these things get to take your life over. :D Jeeps do that too...
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:Excellent model but heck, you're just getting started.
Yes, Jim, the perma-project meme is a familiar one here on the Forum, methinks. I'm picturing Barry's legendary Abrams, of course, and...
yes, even a superb whisky-powered Leningrad Tiger also comes to mind, for some reason. :D
Speaking of which, time for a 15-year old nightcap, I think (and not the one that Popeye used to wear :haha: )
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

:haha: :clap:
I’m with you, friend!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Adam mentioned Schumo track holders, as desirable third party detailing. For those unfamiliar with the product, it looks like this:
and when fitted, something like this:

They're probably worth the ca. 30 Euros or so, Axels-Modellbau asks for, but- unfortunately, they're not in stock :thumbdown:

I do like the wooden block though, with grain in it, as well as the attachment frame. Have a look.
https://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/kat ... gdpanther/
Trouble is, I've already fitted the Tamiya one.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I've been busy with Tamiya's Weathering Masters (C and D variants). Their rust and oil stains (applied lightly) are amazing :thumbup: :D
Progress so far: exhaust, jack, and access ports have been done. All that remains is to weather the storage bins in, and to 'level' the decal on the right bin with some more decal fix, and then a coat of Vallejo lacquer. I'll also post some pics of Jagdpanthers sporting the rear German cross- that's where I took my position from...
Tamiya Jagdpanther-rear detailing
Tamiya Jagdpanther-rear detailing
Jagdpanther rear
Jagdpanther rear
Tamiya Jagdpanther-exhaust closeup
Tamiya Jagdpanther-exhaust closeup

The later G2 JPs were generally fitted with the shielded exhaust, but I just fancied putting the bog-standard one on there. :)
Here's a shot of the model from overhead. The accent-line washed really do single features out. After a couple more years of working with them, I might even perfect the technique needed. :lolno: ;)
I'll admit, I love buidling tanks, but am inclined to hate painting them >:< :D That said, I shall have a lot more fun with the Weathering Masters in future. :thumbup:

Here's an example of captured Jagdpanther sporting a cross on the storage bin:
Judging by the outfits those proud Tommies are wearing, they're from an Armoured, or Armored Recce unit.
Notice the nice (full-size ) Schumo brackets on this example. :lolno:

Here's a pic of an unfinished Jagdpanther on the production line of a bombed factory. What collectors would give for those spares these days, eh?
This example is sporting the shielded exhausts I mentioned.
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ooops...I mentioned an overhead shot, but forgot to post it. >:< (senior moment :lolno: )

Time for tea... :wave:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Everything is looking great. Future TOTM candidate.
Tea sounds good. Do you use cream and sugar or straight up?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Looking very good Roy :clap: :clap:

I've got to ask, what with being new to tank terminology, which ones are the access posrt's?
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Looking very good Roy :clap: :clap:

I've got to ask, what with being new to tank terminology, which ones are the access posrt's?
Typos, old chap. :D I also wrote 'Buidling' for building. Normally, I like to give a quick scan over what I've written- but not always. I rather like posrts (Ports), and the Kudos of inventing a new word.
Come to think of it, I invented one whilst walking the dogs this morning, it was: 'Fartriloquist' (noun), someone who habitually produces loud fa*rts, but is able to 'project them', and the blame, onto an innocent bystander. :lolno:
Believe it or not, I actually knew someone at school who appeared to be developing that talent. :lolno:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:Everything is looking great. Future TOTM candidate.
Tea sounds good. Do you use cream and sugar or straight up?
Too kind, :D Jimbo. But, many thanks, as always. :thumbup: TOTM? :) Well, that's 'Top of the Mornin! ' in Irish colloquial usage. I can just see Barry Fitzgerald (the stereotypical genial Irish drunk) uttering the greeting after a big slurp of Old Bushmills.. in 'The Quiet Man'. ;)
Nah, I might consider putting the Comet in for consideration, when it's finally signed off. A liitle more tarting up on the JP., then I'll give the Comet hull its electronic gizmos...

Return to “Tamiya Builds”