Tamiya Jagdpanther and Plate Spinning

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Tamiya Jagdpanther and Plate Spinning

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

B_Man wrote:If you're interested in reading about G2 Jagdpanthers I recommend this blog: https://www.track-link.com/forums/site_blogs/42756/flat
It really goes into the fine details about the differences in variants and there is some good info on color schemes towards the end.
One observation from the article made me look at my stripes with a more critical eye. On both the left, and righthand sides, the stripes should run at diagonal angles from front to back. Mine has the left-hand stripes
running from back to front. :problem: Still, it was just more convenient to mask the model diagonally. :|
It also occurs to me that if the stripes work as a disguise in one (rearward pointing) direction, they should be just as effective in a forward/diagonal pointing direction. Unless I'm missing something. I suppose Could be. But it's not that important... ;)
:D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I found this useful, and interesting offering on Youtube. Even though the contributor sounds a bit like some Hollywood 'Igor' character, or Dracula's butler, he makes some good, instructive observations. :thumbup:
phpBB [video]
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

I don't think you can go far wrong using the Weald Foundation Jagdpanther as a reference. Hilary Doyle has spent more time researching German tanks than most and I think everything on that would be pretty well spot on. There's a great video here if you haven't seen it:

phpBB [video]

I like Night Shift's channel, he explains his techniques really well and does some great work. An easy option for spare tracks is to just paint them the same as the tank. I've seem plenty of wartime photos where that was done.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

B_Man wrote:I don't think you can go far wrong using the Weald Foundation Jagdpanther as a reference. Hilary Doyle has spent more time researching German tanks than most and I think everything on that would be pretty well spot on. There's a great video here if you haven't seen it:

phpBB [video]

I like Night Shift's channel, he explains his techniques really well and does some great work. An easy option for spare tracks is to just paint them the same as the tank. I've seem plenty of wartime photos where that was done.
Thanks B., yes, as it happens I have seen quite a bit of stuff on the Weald Foundation JP., - especially the video detailing the way it was acquired (old gunnery range target), and the amount of work that went into bringing it back to life, from a seemed like an irreparable state. :thumbup:
I did once post a query about tank tools and spare tracks, asking whether they were removed before a tank was resprayed, or simply painted over in situ- as part of the overall paint/camo scheme.
Opinions varied, and if I remember correctly, most seemed to think the the tools and tracks would be removed before the tank was painted. As it happens, it's not easy to tell from contemporary photos.
See the photos below...
(I shall probably use a dark gunmetal grey, however, as per the Bovington and Weald Foundation examples. If nothing else, extra colour detailing enhances the overall appearance of the model)
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jagdpanther, 1944
Jagdpanther, 1944
sdkfz173_jagdpanther.jpg
sdkfz173_jagdpanther.jpg (49.16 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Roy, I do believe at the time of that discussion I posted an auction link, or a picture of the tool for sale. It was a set of wire cutters that still had the original paint on them, although the cutting jaws were unpainted. Therefore, they either received a coat of paint while off the tank, or were painted during a touch up job.
Thinking about it again, it hardly seems feasible they would paint them on the tank, unless they masked off the bits they didn't want painted. Unless they used a brush around the tools.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Stripy JP from Sd Kfz 173
Stripy JP from Sd Kfz 173
Panzerjager_V_Jagdpanther_Sd_Kfz_173.jpg (85.81 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
Not all the accessories are here on this striped Jp., but the bit of track and the 'c' coupling are not camouglaged.
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

I think it depended on the crew doing the painting.

This guy is going for the black track look:

Whoever painted this one obviously wanted them to blend in a bit more:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

A good find! I used to rely heavily on the Histomil.com access to Bundesarchiv WW2 photos- as there were thousands of quality pics posted there for reference.
Now there's problem with the link (sql error :thumbdown: ) . Going directly through the Bundesarchiv itself is somewhat more cumbersome process :problem:
It took several clicks just to get to this page:
https://www.bild.bundesarchiv.de/dba/de ... agdpanther
I guess, that tanks prepared in the factory would have had tools and spares added after painting, in general- even though the regional camo schemes would have been added at regimental level, until late '44- after which all painting was dome in at the factory, I think.
Tanks operating in the desert, or an urban defensive postion, would have needed different camouflage patterns and colours than those campaigining in the Ardennes, or the snow. Initially, it would have made no sense for the factory to churn a one-scheme-fits-all approach (as factories did towards the end of the war), and this was left up to service units at the regiment- like your guy with a spraygun doing a Jackson Pollock- almost (jackson was sometimes referred to as 'Jack the Dripper' :haha: ).
In the field, it would have been quicker, and more expedient, I guess, just to spray the whole tank, irrespective of what was attached to it. Or to smear ir all in whitewash in the Winter.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I've often looked in on Andy's Hobby Headquarters for hints and tips, but by a stroke of good luck, found that Pt2 of his Tamiya Jagdpanther (1/16 display model) build covers painting the tools and tracks.
I just love the way he paints the shovel and axe. :clap: Tips duly noted. :D
I've ordered the Nato black he uses for base colour the tracks and metal tools, as well as a Desert yellow as a base for the wooden parts. (Tamiya recommend Red/Brown- but I've already used that for the camo, and- from previous experience- doesn't look all that convincing). I already have three shades of Tamiya accent-line washes for the job, as well as a clear coat barrier varnish (Vallejo). Now, I'm just waiting for the paints to arrive. I already have Tamiya's metallic grey, etc., for enhancements. Later on, I have three packs of Tamiya Weathering masters ( nine shades in all) to experiment with.
https://tamiya.com/english////products/ ... /index.htm

phpBB [video]

Coincidentally, of course, this Jagdpanther began life as a display model.

A quick note on the paints I'm using. The AK late WW2 colours contain, handily (for depth and tone), two shades of dark green, dark yellow and Red/brown. In fact, the lighter shade of Dunkelgelb really helps to give depth to the yellow stripes. (Pics another day).

I've also ordered Peddinghaus decals for the job. Having never used them before, and given their good reputation, it seemed like a good idea to try them out.
For those who are curious enough, here's the website link.
https://www.peddinghaus-decals.de
Decals from Peddinghaus can also be bought through Ebay UK, but seem to come only via US sources. I just went direct to Peddinghaus.

Return to “Tamiya Builds”