Tortured Tamiya Tiger...

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Tortured Tamiya Tiger...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Taigen-late Tiger 1
Taigen-late Tiger 1
This is my (unfinished- what else? :lolno: ) Taigen late Tiger 1. This now sports a metal turret with the Airsoft Barrel recoil feature. It actually does spit BBs and recoil at the same time. :)
But right now, it's the wheels I'm interested in.
Here's my Tamiya King Tiger (almost finished- except for light weathering). The Tamiya wheels are plastic, and have a diameter of 50.3mm. This is virtually identical with the diameter of the Taigen wheels.
Maybe then Tamiya (plastic) KT wheels can be adapted to fit the Tamiya Tiger, and if not, then the Taigen set look like a decent match- given the possible pitfalls awaiting in other parameters. :problem:
Tamiya KT aluminium wheels are not obtainable currently at Axel's. Unfortunately, the ABS ones are also out of stock.
Since I'm in no hurry to begin yet another project, I can afford to bide my time (and money :D
Attachments
Tamiya King Tiger wheels
Tamiya King Tiger wheels
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

Try the late wheels off the taigen tiger and see if they fit the tamiya tiger
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

That’s the easiest to try.

The Taniya ones will need the spacers adapting to fit the Tiger track spacing.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

As is my wont, I've been mooching around on the 'Net and the archives here, and found a Tamiya Tiger 1-'late' version being put together for a friend, by a wegie member of RCTW, 'Tankmad'. (note: my Mum's also a 'wegie'- Scots slang for 'Glaswegian' :D )
Looking at the result- albeit through links to the annoying Photo-Highwayman of photosharing sites- Photobucket- the results make me want to begin buying a few of the bits Ad Lav listed. :problem: :)
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14621
Click tae ENLARGE the Pic and do check out his build :thumbup:
Tamiya Tiger 1-late version-the  wheels
Tamiya Tiger 1-late version-the wheels
edit: perhaps I should add that these bespoke wheels were supplied by Guido Henn (a member) of henntec.de

In the meantime, I've just ordered some Taigen metal wheels from Forgebear, and these other turret vent detail bits:
Taigen Tiger 1-late version metal wheels
Taigen Tiger 1-late version metal wheels
Taigen Tiger 1- late version metal wheels.jpg (93.21 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
Taigen turret vents for late version Tiger 1
Taigen turret vents for late version Tiger 1
Taigen Tiger 1-late version turret vents.jpg (46.27 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
I noticed that Steve, of Welshdragon, said these wheels were once marketed by Asiatam. That being the case, then the ones I've just ordered for £30-ish are being sold by Asiatam for 80 Euros. :| In which case, I've done myself a favour. In any event, I couldn't really trust the Asiatam claim that these would fit the Tamiya Tiger 1 (implied: with no adaptation)- well, not to the extent of 80 Euro's worth of trust. :think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I forgot to add, that the wheels I've just ordered have a reviewer who states that he has sets of them on 3, (Yes, 8O three) of his full-option Tamiya Tiger 1s. While three sounds a tad improbable, I'll go with the recommendation anyway.
Anyone here have multiple full-option Tamiya Tiger 1s?...just out of curiosity. :D
forgebear
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by forgebear »

yes i do thanks for the order as well dave :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

forgebear wrote:yes i do thanks for the order as well dave :wave:
...and many thanks for the ultra-dependable service, Dave- not to mention the sweets in the previous order :thumbup: :wave:
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Roy, it has been some time since I converted a set of Tamiya King Tiger roadwheels to make a late Tiger I. And, as Ad Lav said, the wheels need to be spaced to fit the Tiger I track; which I found to be a pain. Buying the Taigen Tiger I late wheels will be MUCH easier for your build! The shafts for the Tamiya Tiger I are 4mm down the length of them, but neck down to 3mm where they go through the hub and are held by the grub screw. Other Tamiya tanks are 4mm all the way down. I have found that it is fairly easy to drill out the Tiger I hubs to 4mm, and they are thick enough to still leave plenty of meat for the grub screw. So, if you do need to drill out the hubs for a larger Taigen shaft, you can plan to do that without worry. And, if you off-center any of the arms, I have several spares you can have. -Mike
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

sassgrunt wrote:Roy, it has been some time since I converted a set of Tamiya King Tiger roadwheels to make a late Tiger I. And, as Ad Lav said, the wheels need to be spaced to fit the Tiger I track; which I found to be a pain. Buying the Taigen Tiger I late wheels will be MUCH easier for your build! The shafts for the Tamiya Tiger I are 4mm down the length of them, but neck down to 3mm where they go through the hub and are held by the grub screw. Other Tamiya tanks are 4mm all the way down. I have found that it is fairly easy to drill out the Tiger I hubs to 4mm, and they are thick enough to still leave plenty of meat for the grub screw. So, if you do need to drill out the hubs for a larger Taigen shaft, you can plan to do that without worry. And, if you off-center any of the arms, I have several spares you can have. -Mike
:thumbup:
Many thanks for that, Mike! It's good to have the dimensions without stripping my Tam KT, Tam Tiger 1 and Taigen TIger 1 down, to get their respective dimensions. :thumbup:
I have packs of ABS spacers in a wide variety of dimensions, should I need them (from the Comet and Cromwell projects). They're in all sizes, and in black and metal too. Cheap as chips. :thumbup:
Standoffs and spacers
Standoffs and spacers
Standoffs.jpg (33.38 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
It's good to benefit from your experience!
Hope the mid-Pacific life is a rewarding as ever, and that the scary Wuhan virus doesn't migrate your way!
In the meantime, thanks and Aloha!
Roy.

Return to “Show Off”