PHF 1/16 Jagdsturmtiger

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
PatrickH
Recruit

Re: PHF 1/16 Jagdsturmtiger

Post by PatrickH »

Thanks Herman and yes it was a bit of a desperate move from my part as I really wanted to use this Hachette pieces for this build and needs must and all that hehe

S.Panzer, cheers but desperation came into play here and plenty of luck, now I still haven't made good the deck yet as I got distracted by a project, a project I wanted to get done first before doing anything else to the JST's deck in terms of sealing it up and by Jove I sure hope my project works.

Now a quick comparison with the Taigen/Heng Long hull alongside the Hachette rear deck pieces in case anybody else is thinking of doing a similar project and also it baffled me why the Hachette wasn't marrying up with the hulls so I had a closer look.
DSC_1120.JPG
DSC_1120.JPG (27.07 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
So the fan grills are of similar size to both HL and Taigen deck, no problems there
Taigen Hull
Taigen Hull
DSC_1121.JPG (25.36 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
Now this is when things start to differ, as you can see from the picture this piece is slightly longer by at least 1mm - not a big difference I admit but it is enough to present problems.
HengLong hull
HengLong hull
DSC_1122.JPG (25.22 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
As you can see, an even greater difference in lenght with the Heng Long hull.

So unless you are thinking of using just the side Hachette grills on both Heng Long and Taigen, then it shouldn't present you with too much problems. It's the middle section that will give you a bit more pause.
PatrickH
Recruit

Post by PatrickH »

Now onto my 'secret' project, I had devoted the past 4 days on this one, researching, designing and tweaking as I went along, might have gone faster had I consulted with a friend especially on the research side of things I admit but this is my own personal baby and I wanted to keep it to myself until I have finished it.

So, my idea and you guys will have guessed by now that this JST will be a non-runner as my interest lies mostly in modification, construction, painting and weathering. I do have a few runners in my collection, a Ferhmann Tiger 1, a King Tiger, a KV and a Panzer1, all in boxes and collecting dust sadly. Anyway, since I have these awesome Hachette pieces and the fact that they are workable I wanted to have something to show if you open up the deck. I don't know if there are aftermarket parts for the engine etc or if those will fit but I decided to fire up Fusion360 and get building in cyber space.

To start with I needed to design the box to go inside the Taigen Hull, I began by creating a maquette using cardboard and then transferring the data onto Fusion so that i can be sure that the rest of the pieces would fit prior to printing. I then printed the box on my FDM printer and kept my fingers crossed and hoped that I had done the correct measurments - 10 or so hours later
interior box
interior box
I was so relieved, now onto stage 2, the gearbox fans and I compiled quite a collection of reference materials but the biggest influence was this picture from a Tiger restoration project
fan gearbox reference
fan gearbox reference
Most of my references, mostly other people's project only utilised one blade but I noticed in this Tiger restoration picture that there are 2 blades, one underneath the other and I wanted to intergrate this into my design - 1/16 is big enough to show this so why not?! =)
Fan design
Fan design
double bladed fan render
double bladed fan render
DSC_1153.JPG (28.67 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
The left fan was the initial concept, the final iteration is the one on the right and it's the one that I printed and assembled
fan assembly
fan assembly
IMG_20200216_181234.jpg (111.45 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
completed resin fans
completed resin fans
DSC_1143.JPG (26.47 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
DSC_1135werr.jpg
fits like a dream =)
PatrickH
Recruit

Post by PatrickH »

Now as I mentioned before, I had purchased the Elegoo water washable resin and I have been wanting to try it since getting it a few weeks back. I have been using it these past couple of days and I must say - I love it,
Elegoo Water washable resin 1kg
Elegoo Water washable resin 1kg
DSC_1140.JPG (26.91 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
no longer will i have to deal with IPA and nasty chemicals that stinks the place. I would love to make it my go to resin but at 1kg, it is an expensive resin, £43 - roughly £10 more than standard resin of similar quantity but it is a joy to use and clean up. Perhaps I will use it on special projects only.

Anywho, as you would have noticed from previous pictures I have in my possession a 1/16 Maybach HL 230 engine. Now I don't know much about this but I believe this is an early engine!? This was eventually replaced with a better version, the HL 210 is that right!? Okay i just did a quick google and I am none the wiser what version is what - 230 is the upgraded version but when i google 230 it mostly shows me this two cylinders engine design!? 210 being the three cylinders on top!? I'm confused - I wanted to use the three cylinders one - which one is that one and do i have to change the marking on my render!?

Well I designed the 3 cylinders version using lots of picture references as well as using my model example for measurements. This is by no means accurate as I'm finding it very difficult to find good actual photos of the real thing but it gives a good impression anyway and it's as close I can get it. this is still WIP but mostly the top part is done - the part that's going to show up anyway. the cables, plumbing etc will be added after printing using wires, tubes etc.
Maybach 210 render
Maybach 210 render
Maybach 210 render2
Maybach 210 render2
Here I'm using artistic licence with the markings
Maybach 210 render markings
Maybach 210 render markings
Unfortunately the full engine is just too big to fit inside and it is a very tight fit in there. I'm going to have to chop at least 20mm from the bottom to make it fit but it should be fine as the side and bottom details aren't going to be seen anyway and cables will hide the rest.
maybach fitting
maybach fitting
Maybach fitting2
Maybach fitting2
Now time to take a break.
Trora
Corporal

Post by Trora »

Hello

your range finder looks on the pics wrong , thats looks not german , is american T29 style

the german range finder for the Sturmtiger looks this way

without the Dreifuss

Gr Ralf
Would like to go home
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Very cool, i like it, you are doing a cool job.
My Mid Tiger is getting same treatment. I have 3D printed Engine i drew up in CAD and will be using small laptop fans to cool the esc, i have also painstakingly cut out the hatches and made them have small hinges so they also open. I am now just working on the inner subframe to give back strength in upper hull which is left weak from all the cutting of the HL hull.
Lovely details you are showing on these parts. Good luck
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

Phenomenal work on creating the Maybach engine for this JST build, PatrickH. Your devotion to realism is humbling (to me at least). I'm sure you'll not want to omit the upright radiators just behind the fans and probably the gasoline tanks behind them as well, but that's for another time. Here's what seems like a pretty authoritative description of the Maybach HL 210 and how it differs slightly from the HL 230. Surprisingly, your three pot oil bath air cleaner is the earlier HL 210 while the HL 230 has the two pots atop the carbs.

http://www.alanhamby.com/maybach.shtml
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Well done keep up the great work!
Tanks alot.... :wave:
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Engine pics , the later 230 engine in the panther . This is how trumpeter do the hoses etc.
the pipe work
the pipe work
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

Don't know how far you intend to go with your admirable quest for engine compartment realism, PatrickH, but maybe this will be of some value.
p1070160_orig (800x601).jpg
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

PatrickH wrote:Now as I mentioned before, I had purchased the Elegoo water washable resin and I have been wanting to try it since getting it a few weeks back. I have been using it these past couple of days and I must say - I love it, no longer will i have to deal with IPA and nasty chemicals that stinks the place. I would love to make it my go to resin but at 1kg, it is an expensive resin, £43 - roughly £10 more than standard resin of similar quantity but it is a joy to use and clean up. Perhaps I will use it on special projects only.
I thought that too until I did a search on Amazon and found that it may also be colour based...
Example.
Elegoo Water Washable resin on Amazon 500g had different prices depending on colour...
Grey - $33.99 CDN ea
Clear Blue/Red/Green or White? - $22.99 each.

Bah. Just checked Amazon.co.uk and your prices are way higher than they should be... £25.99 for 500g is silly (nearly 2X my cost in Canada)...
That being said Glad to hear you love the water washable resin... I was hoping to hear a regular 3d printer say it! Makes feel glad to also go that route... (Just waiting on a couple UV lamps to arrive before going all out...)

Return to “Other Builds”