Taigen panzer iv kit.

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Re: Taigen panzer iv kit.

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Wife, ''what's that smell'' Me looking down at my Taigen MFU.....S**t. Cooked like a proper English BBQ in the rain. Blackened and disappointed. Looks like I need to shop for a new MFU. I think I narrowed the culprit down to some glue stuck in the right gearbox, causing it to bind. Rookie mistake, should of tested all the gearboxes before I plugged the damn thing in. AH well only $35 for a new one. Still......will it happen again...are the 5:1 gearboxes to much for the weight. Honestly I do not know at this point. I need a beer. or two.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

All is good now, I un-jammed the stuck gear, will have to go over it with a fine tooth comb when I get home. Also ordered a new Taigen MFU. Am seriously considering the clark boards. Will have to wait and see. Will do another movement test when the board comes in, this time I will be a lot more careful. fingers crossed.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

New MFU lands today, :thumbup: So next step is to get it all installed and commence another running test, this time I shall go over the model with a fine toothcomb before I comment to powering up the MFU. Im excited to see what happens. Fingers crossed that the little bugger works.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

So small update on this and a warning to others the original gear boxes that I picked up, were burning out the MFU. I spoke with Erik over at Taigen and he informed me that this was a common problem when placing them in heavier models, such as the P4, which is why he no longer sells them on his site, after some begging and pleading he managed to find a set of 4:1 steal ball bearing gearboxes for me, which I picked up, I had to tear out all the original switch mountings that I had built in order to place the gear boxes. I have since them, rebuilt the shelf and re-added all my switches and dials. After a quick run test, the tank now fully runs without burning out the MFU. So next step is to pick up the zimmerit from ATAK models in Poland, then onto detailing the top deck, removing all the molded on tools, removing the checker plating and adding all of them from either scratch or aftermarket that I have acquired. Massive shout out to Herman Bix for sending me over a lovely set of spare track lengths to add as additional armour, cheers buddy, also a massive shout out to Max U52 for sending me over some metal road wheels and a brilliant set of wood printed boxes for stowage, cheers guys, your help is greatly appreciated.

Photos to follow later on of the updated shelf.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

New shelf built and installed. Image

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Nice impressive clean and neat work with the "shelf"! :wave:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Thanks for the kind comments. The shelf has been built over the new gear boxes, next step in the build is to remove all the molded on details such as shovels and picks. replace them with cast metals on and remove all the tread plate and replace with arbor etch.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

The shelf and the switch don't interfere with the bow machine gun?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Not at all, its a tight fit with the new gear boxes, but everything sits in there perfectly, switches are just under the two front opening hatches.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I think what Max is getting at is does the Hull MG still freely move up and down in its ball mount as well as side to side or is it now only able to swing left and right because it is lying on top of the shelf.
This was a problem I faced and I resolved it by narrowing the leading edge of the shelf in the area of the MG allowing it to swing freely.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Other Builds”