New project Matilda 3/4

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: New project Matilda 3/4

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:thumbup: Design is one thing, Alwyn, but with suspensions, I found that the type of spring needed, as well as the amount of tension needed for realism, proved a mighty hurdle (with the Comet and Cromwell).
For us mere mortals, it's a blessing when a maestro, such as your good self, acts as the Pathfinder :thumbup:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Yup if I had realised what I was getting myself into at the start I might not even have begun. I have gone through countless cycles of design, print, test over the last few days before I am approaching something that seems workable and capable of being built, disassembled, maintained, and reassembled (I forgot the need to be able to do the last three!). I am now hoping that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a high speed train coming the other way :haha: :/ :crazy:

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Won't be today Alwyn, the trains are running at a reduced speed because of Dennis ;)

Oh no, all that extra time and effort sounds expensive. . . . 8O

But, all that extra time and effort was/is well worth the trouble to please me :D

Mr Tiger6, what Wayne meant by "I'm going to pull my weight once I retire!" Could have been referring to dragging his fat arse. . . . runs and hides
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Just a newsflash - Wayne is back in gainful employment, I suspect the cost of all the 1/6 scale builds proved too much for the retirement budget (something I know all about 8O :'( ) :haha: :haha: mind you he did say that his new employer had equipment for cutting sheet aluminium so there could be a cunning plan ;)

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Alwyn your technical and mechanical expertise are as impressive as the subject being built. Well done :clap:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

There is always a cunning plan Alwyn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

The suspension is proving quite tricky but one of the smallest units seems to be working

It proved very difficult to replicate a working damper and spring that stayed straight and provided adequate spring effect, but after five tries :/ :crazy: I finally got it to work. I can now use the components on the larger suspension units.

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Awesome, well done Alwyn :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I came across another Matilda 2 scratch-build recently, Alwyn. It was a bold attempt ( in 1/16 scale) spanning a couple of years; until an emerging dimensional hiccup gave the builder pause for thought. A pause that has lasted almost three years, it would appear. :problem:
Thus, It looks like you, and Freddy, will have been the only ones to have reached the Matilda summit. :D
http://modelerssocialclub.proboards.com ... matilda-ii
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

No wonder the guy gave up.... doing all that work in styrene sheet!!!!! I'll stick to my 3d printer, at least each component only has to be designed once.

A sterling effort though 8O 8O :crazy: :clap:

Alwyn :thumbup:

Return to “Other Builds”