Tamiya 1/10 scale Humvee ( Finished at last !!! )

This board is for you people out their who would like to discuss RC cars and trucks
STEINER
Sergeant

Tamiya 1/10 scale Humvee ( Finished at last !!! )

Post by STEINER »

This is my first Tamiya RC build and it went together like a dream. If their tanks are like this, then I know why people rave about them. My only mistake was I started this build at the same time as my HL Tiger late build. I have found out that you just cant flit from one build to another or else neither gets completed  :'( :'( :'(

The Humvee has a few Hop ups added. Its 4 wheel drive, both front and back diffs are locked. Upgraded prop shaft, plastic bearings replaced with ball raced bearings through out. Heat sink and alloy motor mount fitted. The crewman US Ranger is 1/12 scale elite forces figure. The rear carrier is an extra from the US, the tools are 1/10 scale from dare I say it, a dolls house :-\ :-\ :-\.

STEINER
Last edited by STEINER on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Do you realize how much I hate this uniform and all it stands for. ( Cross of Iron )
Saxondog
Captain

Re: Tamiya 1/10 scale Humvee ( Finished at last !!! )

Post by Saxondog »

Looks good Steiner,the effect on the windows how did you do that? Did you coat with the floor polish first? Really looks combat ready,and very realistic.My Tiger has been slow work but hoping to do some detailing tonight.SAX
Last edited by Saxondog on Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
STEINER
Sergeant

Post by STEINER »

Cheers Sax

After Matt varnishing, I simply used a 1in household paint brush and went over everything with Mig pigments, European dust and light dust, including the windows.

Cheers

STEINER.
Do you realize how much I hate this uniform and all it stands for. ( Cross of Iron )
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Well it is a good effect,looks alot like the machines on the news in Iraq. Well done!
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
STEINER
Sergeant

Post by STEINER »

Thanks Sax, After seeing the Documentry/Film about Black Hawk down, I thought I would build a Humvee. I have another one that I got off ebay. Its been hammered (well used ) but I plan to rebuild it and paint it in desert storm colours. I have got to finish this Tiger first though. Hang in there with the painting sax, maybe we can both get some progress pics posted on that thread.

Regards

STEINER
Wight
Lance Corporal

Post by Wight »

Nicely done!
Makes me wish I still had mine.It's a fantastic model and well detailed for an rc car.
I did mine in desert yellow (I'll post a pic if you wish) and did a little weathering.Trouble was though,it was pretty quick and a blast to drive and after I finished the paint I could not bring myself to drive it anymore,so it had to go.

The good news is your little guy is in scale as the Humvee is 1/12 scale.

Cheers
Steve.
STEINER
Sergeant

Post by STEINER »

Hi Steve

Thanks for the kind comments, I would love to see a pic of your Humvee. What colour did you use ? Did you part with it because you couldn't bare to see the paintwork scratched/damaged.

Cheers

STEINER
Wight
Lance Corporal

Post by Wight »

Hi Steiner.
Thats exactly why I did not want to run it.
I don't remember the exact colours but I know it was a mix of three humbrol colours over a black base.
If I can find out the colours I will post them here,I know I got the colour mix from a magazine article on the Tamiya Hummer which I think I may still have.I will look.

This is about the best pic I have left of it.It's unfished in this picture as it was yet to have the windows fitted.I did not add any extra detail as you have.It was really a test piece for using chalks that turned out better than I expected.

I don't really regret the sale of it as I replaced it with my Sherman.

Steve.
STEINER
Sergeant

Post by STEINER »

Wow !!  Love the paintwork on that Steve, really,  really nice. I like the upturned V recognition markings on the doors.
What type of wash did you put over it ? It looks really effective. When I weathered/ dusted mine over, I lost a lot of the wash detail. I don't plan any stowage or extra detailing on my other one, I will probably keep it like yours. Can I ask you what paints did you use for the stoplights/indicators ? I used Tamiya acrylic gloss paints as recommended in the build instructions, but they were a right pain to use. Nigh impossible to get the paint to flow even with thinning.

Great job

STEINER.   ( Have you got a link to your sherman/pics. I would like to see them )

Cheers

STEINER
Last edited by STEINER on Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wight
Lance Corporal

Post by Wight »

I found the magazine article with the colours.
I used humbrol paints- No:-187 sand , No:-148 Radome and No:- 71 Oak ,these are all matt colours.
They are all mixed in equal part and airbrushed on.

I did not do any washes,it's all chalks/pastels ground into a powder then worked onto the paint.
I did not seal it or touch it again after that but I could imagine if I did it would also lose definition as you found with yours.
However I was happy not to seal it as I was not planning on getting it wet and I thought any extra dust it picked up would naturaly weather it.

For the stop lights.indicators I first painted them silver then went over them with clear red and clear orange.I just kept adding coats until I was happy.
The Tamiya clear colours are excelent for this.They are like a coloured laquer so can look a bit like glass with enough applications.

I have a build thread on this forum of my Sherman that has pictures of my progress.

http://www.rctankwarfare.com/Forums/index.php/topic,253.0.html

Hope this is a help.
Steve.

Return to “RC Cars and Trucks”