HG P802

This board is for you people out their who would like to discuss RC cars and trucks
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: HG P802

Post by wibblywobbly »

Built a crane, and added a load bed. I can't do the final assembly until some paint is delivered. I may then look at locking the diffs, which I have been told gives it better off road ability.
Attachments
IMG_20190722_164315.jpg
IMG_20190726_193539.jpg
IMG_20190726_193523.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
mcevoyi
2nd Lieutenant

Post by mcevoyi »

Hi Rob..

As you know I managed to get my 802 of Kevin... from South Wales crawler club

And here is what I've been up to I've not started to correct some of the detail round the cab yet ...
And looking at the idea of a gun truck .. as I have the italeri kit which I've used to scale up
So far

wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Heck Iain, yet another styrene masterpiece. I went over the truck comparing it to photo's and yes, there are quite a few inaccuracies, but I am guessing that the Chinese have to do this or pay licensing fees to the original designers (and those licences are 'very' expensive, with a limited timespan).

I tend to take my trucks out and run them over challenging terrain, so they have to be built to be pretty rugged. So I go down the route of as much detail as possible, but avoid detail that will get knocked off, or ground out on ascents and descents. It's swings and roundabouts for me.

There are only two things that peeve me. The tyres are too hard, so I will need to change them, and there isn't a huge amount of ground clearance. There is also a weak point in the diffs as they used a plastic diff casing. If I lock the diffs there is a risk of transferring the stress to the plastic and causing failure of the casing...but I will give it a go. Without locked diffs the climbing ability is limited.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Why not just load the axles with thick heavy axle grease. That will help reduce slip across the axle. It doesn't lock the diff, but will help offroad

Truck looks wicked by the way. Love the crane and bed. Nice work

As for tyres, you could experiment softening them. Although using oils attacks the rubber and they deteriorate alot quicker, but you can normally soften them quite a bit
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

It could just be the foams that are too hard, if I can get the tyres off I can star cut them to give them more flex. HG have used a weird tyre size, so getting hold of better tyres that fit won't be easy.

There is a putty, I think Tamiya sell it that can go in the diffs that stiffens them up, Silly Putty does the same, but of course the old rock crawler trick is to pack them with JB weld, or something similar, that locks them completely. I would probably only do the centre two axles as these will always be in contact with the ground, and doing it that way will hopefully allow the steering to continue to function. It's always a balancing act. It will climb as it is, but only if I can get a run up to the slope. If it stops, then I lose all traction as diffs simply kick in.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Still in progress, I test printed the crane parts under scale to check that it would all go together, and it does, so I can merge parts and reprint it again.
Attachments
IMG_20190801_131209.jpg
IMG_20190801_131158.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Is the crane functional?
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Only manually, there is an extension arm inside the outer casing, I only printed a short one for the test, but it will extend out. The base rotates as well. The problem is that the hydraulic tubes are styrene and won't support the weight of the crane. I will simply assemble it all and glue everything in place, otherwise there is a risk of bits getting pulled off by undergrowth.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

What an awesome machine. You've made it look even better :clap:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Thank you kind sir, I've designed it so that I could easily detach what I have added, in case I ever decided to build a transporter trailer...which would be huge, hence my reasons for taking this route. After the modelling is complete I intend to lock the diffs on the two middle axles so that I have some decent traction off road. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “RC Cars and Trucks”