Comet A34- Ludwig kit

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Comet A34- Ludwig kit

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Great work Roy, it will sit wonderfully alongside your Cromwell :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Last edited by Model Builder 4 on Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Many thanks for the encouragement, Carl, Lee, and E.F :thumbup: Limited hours of daylight, Christmas coming, puppy training- and caring for a terminally ill dog, when combined, don't leave much time for model making. :|
Still, I'm fairly pleased with the progress made so far, in those moments I've snatched from other commitments. :) I have a couple of gunsights coming from Shapeways (one's for the Cromwell), and then I have to
scratchbuild this British WW2 type aerial (Antenna-US).
British WW2 type tank aerial
British WW2 type tank aerial
British Tank aerial.png (275.13 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
I've not been able to find a decent diagram of one, and so I'll just make an approximation of one based on blueprints and pics. The one in the blueprint doesn't look like the one shown in this pic., nor does another version on Shapeways. I'll just take an average of the available images.
Here's the blueprint version:
Blueprint showing Comet aerial
Blueprint showing Comet aerial
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
biertje
Private

Post by biertje »

fear naught
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks Biertje. Even with P.M.Knight's brilliant 'A34 Comet Tank-a technical history to assist me, it's difficult to find photos showing the turret roof of the Comet, along with its fittings...
Well, in any usable detail, that is. :problem: I had a great pic of the loader's hatch area (it was posted earlier in the thread), but it didn't show that inverted tripod aerial.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

You might well have seen these pictures already but just in case you have not try ________ http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/a34_comet.htm
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
enginepeter
Private

Post by enginepeter »

Great work -coming along very nicely and I am envious.

I had a similar problem getting info for the aerial/antenna. Try a search for No 19 aerial/antenna base - this will throw up some pictures. I might have a good set of photos on my home computer of one that was for sale on eBay. The photos were from different angles. I am away until next week so will have a look when I get home.

Good luck in making one - I ended up using thin brass tube and strip to get the proportions right and it proved great ‘fun’ soldering it all!

Peter
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:You might well have seen these pictures already but just in case you have not try ________ http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/a34_comet.htm
If you check some of the images above, especially the ones of the Mantlet with stand-out casting numbers, you'll find that they were actually sourced from Primeportal. Thanks, anyway :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

enginepeter wrote:Great work -coming along very nicely and I am envious.

I had a similar problem getting info for the aerial/antenna. Try a search for No 19 aerial/antenna base - this will throw up some pictures. I might have a good set of photos on my home computer of one that was for sale on eBay. The photos were from different angles. I am away until next week so will have a look when I get home.

Good luck in making one - I ended up using thin brass tube and strip to get the proportions right and it proved great ‘fun’ soldering it all!

Peter
:D Well, I had a go yesterday with styrene strips, but it was futile; they're just too fragile. I have some copper wire from ring main cables; but it's slightly too thick for this small detail feature- so, I may well try the shapeways effort, as it also includes a fire extinguisher!
There's nothing to envy here :D These things can be a colossal pain sometimes, and not even 1/16 of a pain. >:< :D
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Von Mooflesaaa
Corporal

Post by Von Mooflesaaa »

Simply loving this build. Cannot wait to see more.
Taigen Metal Tiger
Taigen Metal Panzer IV
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Von Mooflesaaa wrote:Simply loving this build. Cannot wait to see more.
8O Well, thanks very much for the vote of confidence :D if I were any younger, I might blush :lolno: :D
Having already scratchbuilt the trooper's telephone box, the smoke dischargers, and more, I think I'm ok with gluing bits on that have been conceived, and fashioned by others. :| Once the aerial and gunsight have been attached, the exterior features of the tank will be just about complete... :think: although...
I'll still have to make some retaining brackets for the tools, crowbar (prybar-US) and track tool (looks like a hockey stick). For that, I have some brass clips and some butterfly nuts from Schumo.

Return to “Other Builds”