Removing mould seams and weathering plastic road wheels

Fixes and mods for the HL Bulldog
Crispy
Sergeant

Removing mould seams and weathering plastic road wheels

Post by Crispy »

This method could be used on any tank with plastic road wheels. I've used it on both my Bulldog & StuG 3. It's a quick 30min job, easy to do and only involves removing the tracks. You'll need a dremel or something similar fitted with a sanding drum.

Like many HL tanks the road wheels have a mould seam running around the circumference which in reality is the rubber tyre of the wheel. The seam shouldn't be there and the rubber doesn't take long to start showing wear and damage in wartime conditions.

Before taking anything off the tank put it on one side and dab a few drops of oil onto the rear hub of each wheel and let it work into the wheel to lube the axles. This helps them rotate and reduce the heat build up later. I use silicone oil but if you dont have any the HL smoke oil will work, its just a lot thinner. Give it a few mins to work in and then turn the tank over and do the other side.

Its best to do this next bit one side at a time, leaving the opposite track on the tank to help support it when its on its side. Either tap out a track pin or undo the drive sprocket on the upper most side and remove the track.

Check all the road wheels you intend to sand rotate freely. If they dont try spinning by hand a few times but if this doesnt help you may need to crack them open to sort it out. Its also a good idea to check all the screws and allen bolts are tight at this point. Better to find a loose one now and tighten it than lose it in the garden later.

Once theyre all free to spin, put your drum sander in the Dremel tool and set it to a slow speed. Then starting at one wheel, spin it with your finger and bring the sander on to the wheel vertically so that the wheel comes up to speed. Tilt the sanding drum up to 45 degrees against the wheel so that its still spinning the wheel, but its also grinding across the surface of the tyre a little. Dont apply too much pressure, just let the drum do its work and itll gradually grind off the seam and bring the surface down to a uniform level.

Dont let the wheel spin for too long or hold the sander against it too hard. Remember the wheels are plastic and held in by a metal screw which acts like an axle. Spinning them this fast will produce heat build up and if youre not careful the inside of the wheel will begin to melt. The oil you added earlier will help reduce this. I also put my finger on the centre hub of wheel to help stabilise it and gauge just how hot its getting. If its getting not hot to touch then stop and allow the wheel to cool down for a few mins before starting again. Check youre happy with how its going.

Edit: The rest of this thread was lost in the forum move. Here's how the road wheels look once everything is refitted

Last edited by Crispy on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You aint gettin me on no plane fool!
Steenv
Sergeant

Re: Removing mould seams and weathering plastic road wheels

Post by Steenv »

thanks for the hint - I will give it a try on my Pershing :-)

cheers
Steen
Best regards
Steen

www.panzerteam.dk

Return to “HL Bulldog”