1/6 scale Universal/Loyd Carrier scratch build

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Re: 1/6 scale Universal Carrier suspension and road wheels

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Coming along nicely Alwyn, your 1/16 version will look tiny compared to it's big brother :D :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Yes it would, but unfortunately I sold it about 18 months ago to George Barnes in a moment of madness, so he now runs it around his workshop at home :( :(

Maybe when I get it's big brother finished we will arrange for them to meet up

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

How about printing something like this for the shafts to go through your ply wood tub. Then your adapter to fit on the 5mm diameter part could run against it to stop outward sideways movement. And your inner shaft mount would stop inwards sideways movement.

Just a thought.

Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks that is kind of what I planned but your solution looks more elegant. I was hoping not to have to hack the tub too much but given the problem with shaft length I think it's the best approach.

Thanks for the input, it's keeping my motivation up, which is quite necessary given that I have just spent 3 hours debugging and fixing a 3d printer problem. At the end of the day it proved to be a badly clogged nozzle and bowden tube. :thumbup:

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Well, I thought that due to the nature of your planned drive shaft setup, it may be prudent to use two bearings on the heng long one alone, make it more stable. Also, fitting a bearing, let alone a pair into the ply isn't so easy, especially getting it accurate.

And, you have a printer, especially now it's un-clogged ;)

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I'll be printing bearing holders which can be screwed to the ply to make it stable and secure. :clap: :thumbup:

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Well all the bits are here (apart from the belts and pulleys to link to the motors) so this is what it looks like

I've still got to print the bearing holders but generally that is how it will fit together. I need to move the internal ply partition inwards a bit as it is all too cramped but it should all work and be secure

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

That's a neat looking drive shaft extension set up Alwyn :thumbup:

Are the internal shaft supports staying as ply, or is that just a temporary support while you sort it out?

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I think I will keep them as ply while I get everything working. I haven't even decided whether the hull will stay as ply, it may change to 4mm styrene. The ideal for the inner support would be metal but I have absolutely no experience of fabricating in aluminium which it probably would change to. I'll decide later once I get the whole thing up and running.

My original brief on this was to create the suspension, road wheels, and sprockets for a forum member, but in order to do that I had to build a working model and this is the prototype. Having got this far then it only makes sense to do the complete build, and if I'm going to do that then it has to be a good build done to my standards - sometimes I hate this hobby it is so addictive! :crazy: 8O :haha: :haha:

rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

There's quite a range of aluminium angle and channel stock available if you hunt around, often you can pick up odd offcuts cheap at local metal merchants.

Return to “Larger Scale Military”