Mato sprocket issue on HL M4A3

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
AshMann
Corporal

Re: Mato sprocket issue on HL M4A3

Post by AshMann »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
c.rainford73 wrote:Ash I'd follow Ludwig's advice, one screw has some debris on the threads could be from the gearbox final drives?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I noticed that, but I'm wondering if it's cast sprocket debris. The screws and shafts are both steel, the black on the screw should surely wear off a bit and show the silver metal below if there was thread damage.
But, after saying that, the thread in the shaft could have been poor quality to start with.
Possibly, should i replace the screws? I have another sherman i can pull them from
" ...use a gun. And if that don't work ...use more gun" - Engineer from Team Fortress 2
HL: 2 M4A3 105s , Panther ausf G, M41
Taigen: Tiger 1
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Take the tank in question, remove both drive sprockets and try the other set of screws in the shafts. Measure how far they both go in before they stop. If you find any binding or restrictions stop threading in. If one binds quickly you have a thread issue. Maybe easy to clean out with a bit of oil

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

The screws look ok, I think it's more a case of is the thread in the gearbox shaft ok?
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:The screws look ok, I think it's more a case of is the thread in the gearbox shaft ok?
Exactly, also are the kit provided screws the same machine thread? I've run into that issue before too.
Last edited by c.rainford73 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

c.rainford73 wrote:
Son of a gun-ner wrote:The screws look ok, I think it's more a case of is the thread in the gearbox shaft ok?
Exactly, also are the kit provided screws the snae machine thread? I've run into that issue before too.
To be honest, I'd use the original Heng Long screws in heng long shafts.

Mr Ash Man, have you used both makes of screws in those shafts?

If you hold both makes of screws together like this, do they fit together perfectly?

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
AshMann
Corporal

Post by AshMann »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
c.rainford73 wrote:
Exactly, also are the kit provided screws the snae machine thread? I've run into that issue before too.
To be honest, I'd use the original Heng Long screws in heng long shafts.

Mr Ash Man, have you used both makes of screws in those shafts?

If you hold both makes of screws together like this, do they fit together perfectly?

Strangely, my kit didn't come with those
" ...use a gun. And if that don't work ...use more gun" - Engineer from Team Fortress 2
AshMann
Corporal

Post by AshMann »

The screws that were originally on my newer M4 work just fine on my older HL sherman with plastic gearboxes
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

AshMann wrote:Strangely, my kit didn't come with those
LOL, they were just a couple of cabinet handle screws I had closer to hand to use as an example of what I was asking you to do. If you hold the two makes of screws together and they fit perfectly together end to end and they are the same diameter, then they are the same sized thread. If they don't go together, it would cause a problem.

AshMann
Corporal

Post by AshMann »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
AshMann wrote:Strangely, my kit didn't come with those
LOL, they were just a couple of cabinet handle screws I had closer to hand to use as an example of what I was asking you to do. If you hold the two makes of screws together and they fit perfectly together end to end and they are the same diameter, then they are the same sized thread. If they don't go together, it would cause a problem.
So you want me to hold the two screws from the two shermans next to each other? I'll try that
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

No, one mato screw next to a Heng Long one.

Return to “General Questions”