Panzer 4 Tamiya restoration

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
percy1510
Corporal

Re: Panzer 4 Tamiya restoration

Post by percy1510 »

More progress tonight. A coat of dark yellow. I used Tamiya TS3 from a rattle can and then touched up with the airbrush. Everything is now connected now all is working as it should do. Will need to call at the model shop tomorow (emodels. They have everything and are nice guys) to buy the cammo colours. Any body got any suggestions for the brown and screen scribble cammo using Tamiya acrylics?
The instructions suggest xf64 red brown and xf61 dark green but if any one has better suggestions I would love to hear them.
Glyn
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Glyn that looks fantastic :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Guido Henn
Lance Corporal

Post by Guido Henn »

Hello,

i wonder why a lot of colleagues painted the muzzle brake black. ??? That's not right, please have a look at some original photos from the time.

with regards,Guido :thumbup:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

You are absolutely right Guido,
I think it was the German Armament industry that introduced Smokeless Ammunition and that is why black muzzle brakes on German armour was almost never to be seen in WW2 AND yet a lot of us paint a matt black finish to the end of the muzzle of the main gun including me :lolno:
It might be wrong but it just looks right :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

I am with Jarndice on this one. The muzzle may not be correct but I think it looks good. I think that I read somewhere else on this forum about making these models look good over making them 100 percent accurate. A bit of artistic license :D
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Has certainly had an upgrade, even to this stage :thumbup:
As for the green, I feel it should be Tamiya Olive Green, but even that I find gets too dark once washed.
On my Fo5 Tiger I used a blend of AK 715 and Olive Green to get the right look.
If you use a dark yellow wash- your camo will darken.
My Tamiya King Tiger used a similar blend, light then darkened with washes & filters.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Percy don't be fooled into trying to copy the same palette as the full size Tank as "Tom Hugill" explained in great detail some time back the colours on a 1/16 scale Tank using the "Correct" colours look totally wrong.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The transformation continues apace, Glyn :thumbup: You do work quickly :D
I used those three Tamiya colours on my Tamiya KT and Panther. I think they look the part. :thumbup: Tamiya rattle cans are easy to use, but not when it comes to fine detail. As for colour modulation, I think they could do with a bit of muting, or toning down, to make them look as if they'd been exposed to sunlight and weather (paints are generally photo-degradable..). I liked ronnie42's muting method, as described in his 1st generation Tamiya KT restoration project ( viewtopic.php?t=25091). Maybe adding a bit of white to base colours would work, when using the airbrush? :|
My Pz IV ausf J is also sitting in a coat of Dunkelgelb at the moment. My aim is to find the right colours for Finnish tri-tone camo, and deck the Pz IV out with them- together with some Hakaristi (Finnish swastika) transfers.
That said, I can't find anyone who makes those colours :think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

A bit more done tonight. Scribble cammo. I went for the Tamiya red brown and olive green as per the manual and then give light overspray of xf60 dark yellow. Quite pleased with the way the cammo has turned out.
As luck would have it Rad from this forum has a set of decals for this model for sale so I have snapped them up. The metal tools that I ordered from forgebear are waiting for me at the post office so that’s tomorrow’s job lined up. Think I will order a tbu from wonderland models as suggested by someone earlier in this thread.

Can’t believe how this model looks now compared to the first photograph with the white paint scheme

I managed to sell my tiger on ebay so am on the lookout for my next project. At the moment I am torn between another beat up Tamiya to restore or I quite fancy a kv2 with a winter cammo. Any thoughts?
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

You've nailed the Camouflage pattern my favorite :clap: I'd do the KV series tank just my opinion. What an awesome job :wave:
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Tamiya Builds”