Panzer 4 Tamiya restoration

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
percy1510
Corporal

Re: Panzer 4 Tamiya restoration

Post by percy1510 »

Might apply a cammo pattern on the clamps and hang metal helmets from them ..

Think they would blend in nicely

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
Find a better way of life at Marillion.com
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you go to Daves Shop and click on PZ4 just scroll down to the "MK Modellbhau Aerial" which says its for the Tiger 1 which it is BUT of course the later PZ4s had a rear mounted Aerial like your Tank and this one is perfect
If the Aerial holder has the top blanked off Drill out the Aerial holder top just smaller than the Rubber Base of the Aerial then lightly coat the rubber base in Washing up liquid (Its that Green stuff by the Sink in the Kitchen) then lightly twist and push the aerial into the mount. Job Done. and all for just £8.05p plus post,
By the way Dave and Julie are on holiday until the end of March.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

Yes just seen that Dave will be away. I will definitely add the Ariel so thank you for that information
Regarding the green liquid next to the sink in the kitchen. What's a kitchen?

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
Find a better way of life at Marillion.com
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

Not posted for a few days but I have still been working on the panzer Iv. I have the tools and spare tracks. The Decals from Rad have been applied . I have done a bit of light chipping effects here and there but not too much. It has had a brown wash which has only just been applied when I took these latest photo’s but I think the wash has really brought all of the cameo colours together nicely. Look nice and dirty now like it’s seen a bit of action. Found another problem last night when one of the return rollers fell off. Turns out that there was no nut inside the tank holding it on?
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Great turnaround on this model, very nice job :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

Finished for now. Just want to add a scale Ariel but will have to wait for Forgebear to re open later in the month. The Panzer has just had a bit of light weathering and has been finished off with a couple of coats of clear matt to seal everything in. Everything on this model now works perfectly which I wasn't sure I could do without spending a lot of money as most of it was put together incorrectly. Luckily the glue holding it together was pretty poor quality so armed with a bottle of de bonder I have been able to get most of the parts off, cleaned up and put back correctly. The biggest challenge was getting the turret armour to line up as the support brackets were out of line and a couple of them were broken, The back 2 brackets were positioned so that the armour was catching the spare wheels when the turret turned so stopped rotation. Thanks for the comments, suggestions and spare parts on this buid. Now I am going to start on the Pershing which although looks bad in the photo's is actually built reasonably well so it will be more a case of replacing missing detail parts and a new paint job ( I Hope)
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

The end result is amazing. I am im process of painting a tricamo king tiger. Can you tell us which colors did you use for painting it, and for darkening the tank after painting?

My tamiya dark yellow is horrible clear...
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
percy1510
Corporal

Post by percy1510 »

Hi Rad - Recognise them decals ??
Thanks for your comment. I used the colours suggested on the Tamiya instructions so Tamiya acrylics Dark Yellow, olive green and red brown. I haven't done a massive amount of weathering. I have dry brushed some gunmetal on some of the edges to give a metallic look plus added a bit of paint chipping in a few places. I did this using a bit of sponge dipped into matt black and then dabbed on. To darken the colours the whole model was given a wash using Vallejo model wash 76.514 which is a brown recommended for light models. I left the wash on for 1 day and then took some of it back off again using Tamiya thinners so that the tank is lighter in shade on the horizontal surfaces to represent a bit of fading
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

A tip, You can buy a litre of Isotonic (Acrylic) thinners for the same price as Tamiyas 250 Ml pot.
Just shop around.
If you are using an airbrush you could save yourself a fortune :haha:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

"save yourself a fortune" eh.......... :problem: ..................
Oi, Mr Jarndice, remind me of this hobby we are in again ?
How does one "save" a fortune in tanking ?
Hm, that would be by taking up knitting :shifty:
Swings & merry-go-rounds, save on thinners, squander on shumo/aber/anything&everything else !!! :haha:

I feel that as long as you are in the pastime of this thing we are in, the only way you can save a small fortune is to start off with a big one ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Tamiya Builds”