Elmod Bluetooth DIY module

Here is the place to talk about everything El-Mod! Help with installing and upgrading ect.
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: Elmod Bluetooth DIY module

Post by wibblywobbly »

I've been chatting to a member of the Bristol group, he has an Elmod Bluetooth in a KV1. If I can get to the meet on Sunday, I can take a look at his and see if I can figure out which pins are hooked up on the Elmod BT board. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Well, I could not wait more, so I had to experiment. I dont have the elmod bluetooth module, but I do have the USB programming cable. I imagined I was going to find the pin names in the board, so I removed the heatshrink tube and BINGO
Sin título.jpg
On the left, the elmod USB connector.

On the right, the less than two euros-free shipping aliexpress bluetooth module.

The elmod bluetooth module has 4 wires. The fourth is obviously the VCC, and that is the one that powers the module.

So Id say, mistery solved. I will create my own module this weekend, so now we know how to create a bluetooth module for our Elmod, saving some dough on the way.

I hope to not to come back here in some days talking about some magic smoke, lol.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Your last line took the words right out of my mouth. :D :D :D
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Well, news here, I could now wait until the weekend, lol.
I wired my bluetooth module exactly as the USB plug, and I connected the VCC pin the same way as the Elmod bluetooth module. Then I connected it to the board, installed the phone App, and also powered my computer on.

Then I looked for bluetooth devices, and I could not find the Elmod board... :(

So I wonder if the module has to be special for Elmod (some kind of propietary module), or if we are missing something. At this point I think I need the help of somebody with propper electronics knowledge...

EDIT: After a while looking for a bluetooth module with the same shape as the elmod one, I belive the module has his own design... So probarbly it will work only with the original board.

EDIT 2: Dont lose hope! The Elmod USB is not self made, I found it in aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USB-2-0 ... 35e71b1600

So that makes me have faith and to think that he is using an existent bluetooth module.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I have a button on my bluetooth module to pair the module with the phone, do you have one?
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

wibblywobbly wrote:I have a button on my bluetooth module to pair the module with the phone, do you have one?
I will say what germans call "Jain" (Ja-nein) (yes-no). Lol

I got two of the modules. I used one of them in my radio viewtopic.php?f=81&t=24954
That module had the button, but I had to remove it, and to put a wire from the EN pin, to the called pin 34. (not showed in the picture) Why? I dont know, I just followed some tutorial from the open rc guys. So in my radio, the module is connected with 5 pins and it works, I can detect it with other bluetooth stuff and program it with the computer and so on. So it works.

Then we started talking about this idea, and I decided to order another module... But it seems I screwed it and I ordered a module with no button. Due to in the radio I had to remove the button I thought it was not going to be important. But after seeing it does not work I tried bridging it, and from blinking fast, now it blinks slowly, but I am not sure if I am missing something. I will keep trying different combinations, but I might end ordering another module with the button, but due to the EN is not connected to the elmod board, it might not work. I also tried to connect the EN pin instead of the VCC, but then the module wont switch on.

Meanwhile you can also try and you can tell us... I can assure you the conecction is safe, and it wont blow anything.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Meanwhile you can also try and you can tell us... I can assure you the conecction is safe, and it wont blow anything.
Famous last words... :D

On my board with the button, I am guessing that this pin needs to be connected to power it. This leaves the other wires to hook up.

When I get some time I will try to hook mine up, I wish I could have made it to the last tank club meet as I could have looked at a genuine Elmod one and maybe see where the wires go. The next meet is in March, so I might wait till then. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

wibblywobbly wrote:
Famous last words... :D

On my board with the button, I am guessing that this pin needs to be connected to power it.
Take a look to the back of the board, I think there is a track connecting it to VCC
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Well, news here, I could now wait until the weekend, lol.
I wired my bluetooth module exactly as the USB plug, and I connected the VCC pin the same way as the Elmod bluetooth module. Then I connected it to the board, installed the phone App, and also powered my computer on.

Then I looked for bluetooth devices, and I could not find the Elmod board... :(

So I wonder if the module has to be special for Elmod (some kind of propietary module), or if we are missing something. At this point I think I need the help of somebody with propper electronics knowledge...

EDIT: After a while looking for a bluetooth module with the same shape as the elmod one, I belive the module has his own design... So probarbly it will work only with the original board.

EDIT 2: Dont lose hope! The Elmod USB is not self made, I found it in aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USB-2-0 ... 35e71b1600

Hi, Rad

Isn't there usually an instruction coded in the firmware of USB, and Bluethooth, devices that enables PCs and Macs to recognise them? The frustrating, unrecognised device phenomenon is, sadly, nothing new. :think: Just a thought.

So that makes me have faith and to think that he is using an existent bluetooth module.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hi 43rd, all my experience with bluetooth started 4 days ago, so I am green here... But there are several things that can be tweaked in the bluetooth modules, like the baudrate. I have to keep digging on this, I will try experimenting until it works or I set the tank in flames.

So far, it seems the button is quite important, so I ordered another module in aliexpress with it. When it arrives (in 60 days or so, lol) I will try again.

Return to “El-Mod”