My Tiger Tank Project

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: My Tiger Tank Project

Post by PainlessWolf »

Herr Doctor!
The Clank and Track Squeak of the old Mato M4A1 is exactly why I did not change out the MFU when I did the Update on it these many moons ago. I'm glad to see that you enjoy the classics as well. ;0) Jimster! Your Tiger is inspiring for any level of Modeler. You have definitely given it the 'Stuff' !

regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

Great Job!!!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Been a while! I took old ugly out for a romp about the backyard and I’ll be damned. The DKLM gear for the barrel elevation popped off, the piano wire that controlled the commanders head movement came loose and the grub screw on my Henntech idler adjuster came loose. Son of a b@*ch!
Tonight I fixed everything and all is well. It seems like the more modifications made, the greater chance something will fail. Feels like I’m supporting a real Tiger tank in the field with breakdowns and repairs. I don’t care. I still love it!
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

“Must resist following Jimster. Must resist following Jimster, down the Tiger rabbit warren”.
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

Meter rat wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:14 pm “Must resist following Jimster. Must resist following Jimster, down the Tiger rabbit warren”.
I can't resist.

It's inevitable.

I'm already planning 3 Tigers for fall 23/spring/summer 24. With a 4th in the plans for fall 24.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Uh-oh: Jimster, that is somewhat like my car today. Like me, it's getting a bit old. And Chef, get this: three of my Tiger I tanks are in my living room, all in nice crates, none yet finished. I believe this is call addiction. But for years I have been a SFINKNW.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Yup, I’m falling apart as well. Kidney stones (ouch!!!!), gall stones and memory issues not to mention the ebb and flow of modeling motivation. Thank goodness for my libations!!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Quick update for those who may be interested. My starting handle has proven successful. For those modeling an Initial Production Tiger it is worth it to make the low hanging starting handle swing freely using two metal “collars” to allow the handle to swing while navigating rugged terrain, rocks or deep grass. I have had zero failures (broken off, lost handle pieces) after making this modification. This probably only applies to the first 25 or so Tigers built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi Jimster, I had the same problem with my first Tiger 1 and resolved it by fitting a non standard clamp above the tow hook to retain the handle and at the same time I made a tow pintle pin that sat nicely in place but to make sure I did not lose it I attached a length of chain to the pintle pin and the other end to the starting handle clamp so two problems solved in one go.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Holy sh#+. 110 degree (Fahrenheit) but old ugly performed like a champ. When I first stepped outside my transmitter screen instantly fogged up but my Initial Production Tiger worked like a champ. I couldn’t imagine being assigned to the DAK. The older I get, the more I dislike hot humid weather.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”