My Tiger Tank Project

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: My Tiger Tank Project

Post by Jimster »

I’m thinking about trying to mount a Panzer lll or lV storage bin on the back but I’m not sure if the HL elevation unit will allow it. If it will fit I’m might even remove the escape hatch and add the gun port. I just hate removing molded on details and filling holes with putty and such. I don’t like retaining the late model bin on my initial production Tiger but I may have to live with it.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

My HL Tiger will soon be mostly Taigen. My initial plans at the beginning of this thread was to make a few basic modifications to my cheap Heng Long Tiger and be done with it. The more I upgrade, the further I want to go. I’ve been jealous of the recoil action of the barrel that I’ve seen on YouTube videos so today I ordered a Taigen Turret that has the BB unit with servo recoil, turret ring gear and a metal barrel. The Forgebear website is awesome and I’ve spent plenty of coin there. It’s hard to resist their great detail parts and upgrades. The service is fantastic!
I have a one question. I’ve not been able to add side turret storage bins because the Heng Long gun elevation unit protrudes through the rear of the turret. Is the Taigen turret set up the same as Heng Long’s with the elevation unit protruding through the rear turret wall? I hope it doesn’t. I love the elephant look of the very early Tigers with the side pods. Thanks in advance for any replies.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Nope, the Taigen has an integrated elevation/recoil unit. I used one to replace my H/L unit in my F05 Tiger build.
You will need one of those to enable the removal of the rear bin.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23856&start=40
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Thanks Herman Bix! That’s great news. Looks as if I’ll be ordering the side pod kit from Chris soon.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I guess the joke’s on me. I started this endeavor with a Heng Long Tiger 1 but it’s ending with a Taigen. I’ve read so many complications with Ibu2u and Clark Tk problems that I decided to order the Taigen V3 MFU with the sound cards and such to be an easy connection for my Taigen turret. Then I needed a Taigen daughterboard but they’re out of stock so I also ordered a complete Taigen upper hull. The only part remaining that is Heng Long is the metal tracks. I feel foolish but maybe others will learn from my journey. This is just a backyard fun tank so that’s that. Had I known better I would’ve ordered the Taigen in the beginning. I’ve still had fun every step of the way and appreciate all the help from all you fine folks.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Double post. Oops.
Last edited by Jimster on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi, I doubt that I am the only member of this Forum who Buys Heng Long Tiger 1 Bodies because they are cheap and all the tools and fittings are easily removable unlike the moulded on Tools and fixtures on the Taigen Body and I marry them to Taigen Metal Hulls.
As I do not use Heng Long Control Boards the difference between the two makers electronics has never been a problem for me,
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:I guess the joke’s on me. I started this endeavor with a Heng Long Tiger 1 but it’s ending with a Taigen. I’ve read so many complications with Ibu2u and Clark Tk problems that I decided to order the Taigen V3 MFU with the sound cards and such to be an easy connection for my Taigen turret. Then I needed a Taigen daughterboard but they’re out of stock so I also ordered a complete Taigen upper hull. The only part remaining that is Heng Long is the metal tracks. I feel foolish but maybe others will learn from my journey. This is just a backyard fun tank so that’s that. Had I known better I would’ve ordered the Taigen in the beginning. I’ve still had fun every step of the way and appreciate all the help from all you fine folks.
No one is born with an innate knowledge of Taigen and Heng Long Tigers, Jimster :) (nor the more accurately detailed Tamiya version). The enjoyment seems to come from the learning process: getting stuff wrong; then right- then those "wish-I'd-thought-of-that!!" moments; and finally, sharing all these experiences. You're doing a grand job so far- in all categories :thumbup: We've all been there, I think ...
I, for example, not really noticed that the Taigen deck had bonded on tools, until it was pointed out. Mid and Late versions feature improved looking tools; but they're bonded nonetheless. Some members grind the offending embossed tools off, and then fit aftermarket metal or plastic ones.
All versions of the Tiger 1, with the exception of those by Trumpeter and Tamiya, get the top edge of the front armour plate wrong. It shouldn't be a straight line. (Left and right ends have slight slopes, in reality).
Jarndice has a (justifiable) thing about the presence of a second aerial mounting on both HL and Taigen models, and that the position of the aerial itself is incorrect. :/ But then you're heading into the realms of the rivet counter 8| :haha: Some even wonder whether the location of the turret is accurate enough... :problem: :) Tamiya are fastidious in getting the right dimensions; but you pay a King's ransom for the results 8O
One thing is certain; the Taigen alloy hull is a must and the best basis for a non-Tamiya Tiger project...IMHO. :thumbup:
Looking forward to a satisfactory result for you, and to a great runner :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Yes, I forgot about the molded on tools. I will probably just swap the daughterboards and use my HL upper hull since I’ve already worked so hard on it. I’ll have an almost complete spare Tiger left over so maybe I’ll try to use it for a tank recovery vehicle. I saw a cool photo online of a Tiger lower hull with a boom rig of sorts built on top. Just thinking out loud.
Navy chief
Recruit

Post by Navy chief »

Jimster wrote:Made some progress on the painting. Thanks for checking in.

Looks great.. Looks like you may of gotten some overspray on that cat.. Looking orange and rusty.

Return to “Heng Long Builds”