Post by Matdragon »

very good work on the bridge there..

the trains ... OO guage ? Hornby ? i too have that :D

Matt
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: Bridge over the River Wye

Post by wibblywobbly »

I build a 1/16 tank bridge and people ask me about trains!  ::)

I started off with Hornby but soon realised that Bachmann was better quality, they were also consistent with their couplings etc. It became addictive, and with loksound equipped loco's at £130-150 a throw, plus rolling stock, I was spending a fortune. You can add all of the layout costs, scenery, buildings, trees, lichen, paint, figures, and track. I would love to build a really huge complex layout someday, when I have the space and the cash, but until then I am sticking with the tanks, they are good value for money.

I also dabbled in RC helicopters..OMG that 'was' money down the drain, also did RC Rock crawlers and ended up scratch building a Paris Dakar truck with lights etc which was cool, and I had a couple of nitro MT2's, a G3 and an 18SS, both were hopped up with all the trick bits and were a lot of fun, but there is nowhere around here to run them??

I liked all of it, I love models!

RC Rock Crawler Dakar Race Truck

Rob G
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Wight
Lance Corporal

Post by Wight »

That bridge looks great.
Been thinking of doing one for a while and yours is great inspiration.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

It's looking a bit more like a bridge now. Still hasn't cost me a bean, but I may have to buy some more tile cement to do the walls on the ramps.

The road surface was a challenge. In the end I coated the base with undiluted UPVA, then sprinkled topsoil (yes, out of the garden) onto it. When that was almost dry I completely soaked the whole surface with diluted UPVA (50/50) so that it was really runny. Then I sprinkled more topsoil on, but finer stuff this time.

Next, as it was looking a bit bland, and while the whole surface was still white and swimming in glue, I got some white talcum powder and sprinkled that down the centerline, and down each side. I stippled this in with a paintbrush.

When that had dried out a bit, but still really wet, I diluted some black acrylic and let it drip onto the parts where tank tracks would run. It gave a sort of crazed effect.

The next morning when it was 90% dry, I ran my 13lb Tiger backwards and forwards across it so that it left track marks in the 'mud'. Now that it has dried it looks like a muddy bridge that has been used as a crossing point for tracked vehicles.

I need to get the ramps done the same way, but I am off to Germany 8-14th, so I won't be able to do a great deal until after I get back. I am thinking of mounting the whole thing on a modular plywood base, and building some rocks, and slopes around it, maybe a machine gun emplacement or two as well.

I knew that it would never end with a simple wooden bridge!
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

Very cool.  Nicely done.

One question:  what is UPVA?  I assume a glue, but what does the acronym break out to?
Ex_Pat_Tanker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

Something like 'Elmers' glue ;)
BREL
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BREL »

UPVA  better known as wood glue
see this link to find out more information
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_acetate
Matdragon
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Matdragon »

very nicely done, hope you dont mind me moving this thread to the new shiny board specifically for this kinda thing ??? :D :D

cheers, keep it up! :D

Matt
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

BREL wrote: UPVA  better known as wood glue
see this link to find out more information
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_acetate
Thanks.  Always something simple that I didn't think of.  ::) ;D

Return to “Battlefield Construction”