Planning to get Tanked up at Christmas?

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Planning to get Tanked up at Christmas?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Model Builder 4 wrote:Sounds like you had a few lucky escapes Roy 8O biking can be a very hazardous hobby, the front cover of that Haynes manual looks a far more gentile pastime :D I've got a good few years to reach pension age yet and the way it keeps rising I'll be working until I'm 80 :haha:

Cheers, Lee.
Yes, Indeed, Lee.. :| but if weren't for the fact that my bones break too easily these days, or that Highland Red Deer are a constant hazard to motorists (a potential death sentence for the motorcyclist), I'd still like to have a motorbike. The Highlands have an almost magnetic pull on Bikers- from all over Europe; but every year we have quite a few fatalities; with Deer representing an ever-increasing threat. That's because their numbers are not managed by natural predation, nor man even, these days. :think: That said, The Highlands provide not only a stunning landscape, but also a real test of riding skills. :thumbup:
I always fancied a wee Ducati, personally, but failing that the Norton Interpol 2 (Wankel engine).., or maybe a vintage BSA.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

There are some great roads and lovely places throughout the UK Roy and as you say they have a magnetic pull on bikers, I'm fortunate that I only live about 8 miles from the Brecon beacons national park, stunning scenery and great biking roads, not so many deer down this way but plenty of sheep and horses to be aware of though, we also have the Aberdare park road races held every July which run everything from classics to the modern era, I can still get my fix of the smell of 2 strokes from the start line :D :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Ah yes, but you are overlooking the real bikers tarmac that lies here in Essex. The 'Harlow Roundabouts', the 'Burnham Bends', the Chelmsford City bypass. Their repetitive 90 left, straight, 90 right, straight, 90 left, straight, 90 right, straight, 90 left, straight, 90 right, straight, 90 left, straight, 90 right, straight, 90 left, straight, 90 right, straight can really take their toll, sending you to sleep with their monotony! Takes a real man to stay awake.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Have you ever been to Milton Keynes? Roundabouts after endless roundabouts. I passed 13 in total in very few miles :(
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

My point exactly. Find a good roundabout and run round n round practicing getting your knee down, then your elbow down, then your bum cheek down and finally your helmet down. The is also well sign posted biker support at MK - aka MK A&E!

Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
One of the all time biggest regrets in my life is having to give up road riding. After 30+ years of seeing the country on two wheels, I had to sell my Bike and go live a 'quiet' life. It helps with time for modeling and reading and suchlike and stillness is key I hear. Even owning a convertible and making road trips out and about isn't the same. Here is my last road bike in a couple of photos on my last big trip up to Yellowstone. It was my lovely traveling companions first Bike trip out of Colorado. She and her Concours did wonderfully while me on my trusty Drifter made it through in like new shape. ;o)
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Stopping for lunch in SW Wyoming
Stopping for lunch in SW Wyoming
Rabbit Ears Pass in Colorado
Rabbit Ears Pass in Colorado
...Here for the Dawn...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Ah yes, but you are overlooking the real bikers tarmac that lies here in Essex. The 'Harlow Roundabouts', the 'Burnham Bends', the Chelmsford City bypass. Their repetitive 90 left, straight, 90 right, straight, 90 left, straight, 90 right, straight, 90 left, straight, 90 right, straight, 90 left, straight, 90 right, straight, 90 left, straight, 90 right, straight can really take their toll, sending you to sleep with their monotony! Takes a real man to stay awake.

Followed By Blue Lights..dee daw! dee daw!...Blue rights....90 right then left, left...Arrrgh!!... rammed by a rozzer :O :thumbdown: :lolno:

"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good morning,
One of the all time biggest regrets in my life is having to give up road riding. After 30+ years of seeing the country on two wheels, I had to sell my Bike and go live a 'quiet' life. It helps with time for modeling and reading and suchlike and stillness is key I hear. Even owning a convertible and making road trips out and about isn't the same. Here is my last road bike in a couple of photos on my last big trip up to Yellowstone. It was my lovely traveling companions first Bike trip out of Colorado. She and her Concours did wonderfully while me on my trusty Drifter made it through in like new shape. ;o)
regards,
Painless
Looks like it was a great trip, Painless!. I recall reading about another unique trip, in the cult book: 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'. That wee tome encouraged me to stop being cerebral to excess, and get onboard a good Bike...and soak up some experience :thumbup: :wave:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

When I rode bikes I was a bit of a bad boy, I used to disconnect the front brake light, during normal use I relied on the back brake light to operate. The reason, well, as I used to do most of my social riding in the evenings, it was just a case of lights off, only use the front brake during possible nee nar pursuits @)
There is a place called Box Hill, back in the day when I spent a lot of time on bikes, there wasn't speed bumps like there is now on the unlit winding road. We, my friends and I were used to the road, and we used to make bets as to who could go the furthest and or quickest without lights.

Those were the days. . . .
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Roy,
Here is a better look at my last Bike. Where do the years go? I am a much smaller man without one ( both in girth and in spirit I think )
regards,
Painless
Attachments
wall_2060_1024.jpg
wall_2060_1024.jpg (89.74 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
A Manufacturers Pic of the 800 Drifter.  An exact match for my Bikes paint
A Manufacturers Pic of the 800 Drifter. An exact match for my Bikes paint
Drifter800E.jpg (3.13 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “General Discussion”