Sd Kfz 223 conversion

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Sd Kfz 223 conversion

Post by Max-U52 »

Now that ... is very, very cool. Great job. How long did it take you to build?

If you scaled the print up until the tires on the 223 matched the tires on the truck you're probably closer to 1/14th than 1/16th. If you take a stock HL tire and blow it up 16 times it will be about 42 inches tall (diameter). That's a very big tire, much bigger than most WWII vehicles used. Just for example, the tires on a WWII U.S. Jeep were only about 28 inches tall. But The HL tires sure do look great on your 223. I think it looks better your way than if you had used tires from some place like asiatam, and you also saved a bunch of money this way. Very ingenious. And that tow cable is great. I bet that would work perfect for a track cable on a Tiger.

I can't wait to see the video of the 223. 8)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Bill it's really incredible how well this came outthis happens to be the nicest truck conversion I've seen yet!
Tanks alot.... :wave:
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Thanks, Max. I knew it was going to be off a bit, and I had to fudge a few things to get it all to work, but I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. I started it about 3 weeks ago, and have been working on it off and on since. It sits a bit high, but that was so that I could have some play in the suspension. I think I like this look better than the way it's supposed to be. Looks a bit more aggressive.

Now that you mention it, that cable would look right at home on the side of a Tiger. It is just some of the light weight picture hanging wire from Wally World. When I get around to redoing my Tiger, I'll have to make up a new cable for it.

Carl, that's high praise coming from you! :{ Thanks!

This started out as a "I wonder if it can be done" project, and kind of ran off on it's own. I was just along for the ride! :haha: I'll try and get a video of it in action and get it posted tomorrow. Still have the final detailing to go to finish it up. I've been thinking about printing an aerial recognition flag and using it as a kind of sun shade for the drivers compartment. Have to see how that works out.

Thanks again, guys!

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

That's an excellent conversion from one of the h/l trucks Bill :clap: it's amazing what a bit of time and a lot of skill can achieve, I have the Andrew Design sdkfz 222 and yours would look right at home with that :thumbup: they do look good running around and complimenting the armour :D

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Thanks, Lee! It has been a pretty fun build.

I managed to get out and shoot a short video...

phpBB [video]

I'm using a select able 4 wheel steering radio, so I just attached the rear steering servo to the turret. You can select front steering, rear steering, crab steering, or 4 wheel steer. I can jump between the modes to get the turret to respond differently.

Enjoy!

Bill
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Awesome work. I love the way you have built it and put it together. Some great hands on scratchbuilding.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

That's truly amazing!!
Ferny
Lance Corporal

Post by Ferny »

That is awesome!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Best conversion I have seen to date on an HL truck...now why didn't HL do that as an option?? :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Bring it on, Mick!

I can make up answers with the bet of em! :haha:

Thanks to all for the great comments. I've got some finish detailing ideas to work on, but for right now it's kind of on the back burner with Big Wind. Trying to finish up a couple of other projects for a friend.

Bill

Return to “Heng Long Trucks”