Re: Chieftain Mk V scratch build

Post by midlife306 »

Or a Cromwell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thinking about the Cs, what about a Crusader? They were pretty effective against the Italian armour in N Africa (mind you what wouldn't be). Honestly the next tank is the Centurion and that should keep me busy for a while, also I have the camo to do on the Chieftain and think about some electronics - to TK22 or IBU2U that is the question (and can I hide the expenditure from SWMBO?)?

Thanks everyone for the good words on the Chieftain, without wishing to appear smug I love the chunkiness of it and it's 'presence' - it's hard to describe but it seems to have loads more character than the Challie or the Abrams, and it's turned out even better than I dreamt.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I shall say a very rude word if it is not the forerunner of every British Tank since 1944,
The Comet,
The template upon which every Post war British Tank is based.And with its Christie suspension none of the shenanigans of the Centurion or the Conquerors Horstmann complications.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Cracking job! Price isn’t too bad but to recoup those hours spent designing and printing I guess it would go up.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Basically because I'm retired the time is free, but it helps me quantify the value of what I've produced compared to an RTR tank or a kit. The nice thing is I can look at the time spent and now every time someone builds the tank in the future and because of that time spent, it means that others can get the pleasure of building and owning one, then it seems like a worthwhile investment. It's like a piece of art really, in the future people can maybe look at it, build it, admire it(hopefully), improve on it, and enjoy it. (this is all getting too metaphysical :haha: :haha: :crazy: :D )

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

The dark green paint arrived so busy with the hairy stick and here's the tank in camo

That's about it on this tank until I've saved enough pennies for a decent electronics rig. At the moment it has an RX18/27mhz receiver so no recoil or elevation.

midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Looks spot on Alwyn, I’ll have to get my finger out

Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

That looks marvellous Alwyn, as you said you've spent countless hour's designing and building it but at the end of the day you can stand back and be very proud of your achievement :clap:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks for the good words guys, much appreciated.

The Centurion kit arrived today and I'm trying to motivate myself to get started on that :crazy: :haha: :D

midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Think mine came today too, need to go & pick it up from the sorting office in the morning
Cheers
Wayne

Return to “Modern Builds”