1st generation rc king tiger

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Re: 1st generation rc king tiger

Post by ronnie42 »

Back onto this for a change , starting on the rear hull
PB035005.JPG
Exhaust tubes need a slight adjustment
PB035006.JPG
armoured covers need filled to remove square section
PB035010.JPG
4 holes to drill in hull and fill little slots at lifting points
PB035012.JPG
drill for rod in exhaust
PB035013.JPG
should thin out top of tube before cutting rod .
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

This is a really great looking machine. Well done. Following along :wave:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Thanks for the encouragement. Some more work on rear hull
PB040009.JPG
making the flange ring with bolts
PB040011.JPG
making the c hook fit a shackle will fill void , the pin adds some strength after cutting
PB040013.JPG
looks better now with wider flange and bolts
PB040016.JPG
c hook fitted
PB045015.JPG
c hook brackets started and fixed starter guide it can swivel now.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

loaders hatch and rear hull almost complete
PB070004.JPG
PB070005.JPG
PB070003.JPG
PB070002.JPG
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Been putting this off for ages , can't find track hangers anywhere. Does no-one do metal KT track hangers ? Plastic would be easy but i think i would be fixing them quite often as i want to use metal track links .
Will try brass, wish i could find 1.5 by 3 mm lengths .
PB090006.JPG
PB090007.JPG
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

One down 8 to go , turned out ok just need to make the rest the same size.
made up a test run
made up a test run
will the cutouts in the zimmermet line up
will the cutouts in the zimmermet line up
Glad i took a gamble and ordered the Trumpeter version instead of Tamiya as the Tamiya one only had the 4 slots cut in the zimmermet
Glad i took a gamble and ordered the Trumpeter version instead of Tamiya as the Tamiya one only had the 4 slots cut in the zimmermet
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Used a Tamiya track pin as my metal tracks are only short 2 pin fixings.
Used a Tamiya track pin as my metal tracks are only short 2 pin fixings.
Just noticed a picture of a Kingtiger posted by Eastern Front , good view of track hangers and track pin . Done one , need some good drill bits now. Drill bit wants to clog up and jam , central section of track has no pin holes.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Sure is looking fantastic Mr 42, I'm gaining a lot of info and tips from your build.
I also looked at making my hangers from brass, but as the spare track sets will be secured to the turret, they will add to the support of each hanger.
Love what you are doing mate :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Having been away from the Forum since spring, I've missed many threads. Luckily, I've just chanced upon yours, Ronnie. I must say there's a lot to like about it, and you demonstrate some accomplished skills here in your detailing :thumbup:
I particularly like the method you've adopted of routing the convoy light and headlight into the scheme of things. Those wee white (self adhesive?) cable ties are very neat. Where did you source them? The ones I use rely on soft laminated bendable straps. Like many bits imported from China, their quality can be very variable. Some of the bendy bits on my ties have sharp edges that can occasionally cut through the laminate, the precious wiring, and even one's precious fingers :O Tamiya tanks in the main don't offer working lights (i.e Tiger, KT, Panther, Pz IV), and I think this is an inexplicable desideratum in such an expensive model. Good on you for fitting them :thumbup:
Overall, I applaud the process of restoring (or perhaps resurrecting) an aged contraption, and giving it a new look and renewed vigour :clap: (A process of few of us here could doubtless benefit from :haha: :shh: )
I also applaud the iMac and H-K Soundsticks sitting atop your desk. I have the same setup. :D
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Thanks Herman I used to build models up until i left school. Had one of the 1st 1/16 tamiya static Jagdpanthers round about the late 60ies but it ended up as target practice when i discovered airguns . Picked up lots of info on this forum , am still at the bottom of the learning curve. Not looking forward to painting so hope your KT is ready for painting before mine , will be watch your painting methods.

Return to “Tamiya Builds”