Were tank tools and spares the same colour as the tank?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Re: Were tank tools and spares the same colour as the tank?

Post by ronnie42 »

Have a look at this. http://www.aboutww2militaria.com/german ... a-536.html

Don't think they would be painted for safety reasons. Looked this up as a mate gave me insulated tubes made of the same material. Its darker but never been exposed to daylight .
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

ronnie42 wrote:Have a look at this. http://www.aboutww2militaria.com/german ... a-536.html

Don't think they would be painted for safety reasons. Looked this up as a mate gave me insulated tubes made of the same material. Its darker but never been exposed
to daylight .
Interesting website. Yes, you would think if they went to the trouble of camouflaging a set of wire cutters, identical to the ones attached to tanks, then other tools and equipment would merit the same treatment. Water bottles, binoculars, webbing, jerry cans and more certainly did undergo camo treatment; even this Africa Korps periscope wore a colour disguise:
Africa Korps trench periscope
Africa Korps trench periscope
Afrika Korps periscope.jpg (20.3 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
In the course of rummaging on the net, I did come across this useful article on British camouflage patterns and types throughout WW2..
http://www.wwpd.net/2015/09/hiding-in-p ... e-and.html
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

Not sure about tanks, but WW2 USN camouflage instructions directed that all topside equipment, i.e. stretchers, fire extinguishers, tools, hoses, be painted or stained the camouflage color of the deck or bulkhead they were attached to.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

The wire cutters have no overspray or paint drips on the metal , its the natural colour of the insulated resin handles don't know about the black end caps . Looks like the resin is breaking down.
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

ronnie42 wrote:The wire cutters have no overspray or paint drips on the metal , its the natural colour of the insulated resin handles don't know about the black end caps . Looks like the resin is breaking down.
Bakelite. Also used for the MP-40 lower receiver. They used it for jewelry too, because of its color.
Afrikakorps
Corporal

Post by Afrikakorps »

So, without high jacking this thread, what colour should I paint the spare tracks on the side of a panther or king tiger?
Would they be bare metal ? Perhaps black like a shovel blade or sledgehammer. Or would the crew have painted over them in whatever camouflage the tank was.
I haven’t seen too many colour pictures to give me a clear indication.
Your thoughts gentlemen.
Cheers Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Panzer III G
Sherman M4A3 (105)
T-34/76 (1942)
Panzer IV Wirbelwind
Sturmtiger
KV-2
M26 Pershing
T-34/76 (1943)
KV-1
M3 Lee
Ferdinand / Elephant
M16 Half-track
Panther G
M4a1 (75mm)
M41 Walker Bulldog
JS-2
M4a3e8 (76mm)
Japanese Type94
FT-17
Tiger 1
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Afrikakorps wrote:So, without high jacking this thread, what colour should I paint the spare tracks on the side of a panther or king tiger?
Would they be bare metal ? Perhaps black like a shovel blade or sledgehammer. Or would the crew have painted over them in whatever camouflage the tank was.
Your thoughts gentlemen.
Cheers Steve

If the camo was painted in the field the track links will probably be the same color as the camo, but if it was painted in the factory the track links will probably just be dark grey or black color.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:
Afrikakorps wrote:So, without high jacking this thread, what colour should I paint the spare tracks on the side of a panther or king tiger?
Your thoughts gentlemen.
Cheers Steve

If the camo was painted in the field the track links will probably be the same color as the camo, but if it was painted in the factory the track links will probably just be dark grey or black color.
I think that's what I was really getting at, Gary. :) I suspect a lot of hard pressed units would simply have sprayed everything- including spare tracks Olive drab (allies), or triple-tone (Germans) later in the war, or some form of sandy/ dark yellow during the to-ing and fro-ing melees of the desert campaigns. Tanks arriving on trains for the Kursk metal on metal mashup, would probably have sported factory fresh livery...but not for long 8O
But, overspraying spare tracks, while allowing significant hints of bare (dark grey) metal to peep through (weathering effects), would seem like one valid option for tank model painting. :think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Hmm..I wonder what sort of campaign emergency led to this subtle outcome :eh: :
Zer Pink Pants-sir
Zer Pink Pants-sir
Pink Panzer...jpg (55 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
Afrikakorps
Corporal

Post by Afrikakorps »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Hmm..I wonder what sort of campaign emergency led to this subtle outcome :eh: :
Pink Panzer...jpg
Perhaps it is pink piñata camouflage ImageImage

Panzer III G
Sherman M4A3 (105)
T-34/76 (1942)
Panzer IV Wirbelwind
Sturmtiger
KV-2
M26 Pershing
T-34/76 (1943)
KV-1