Oh no! I did it! I bought a (used) Armortek Tiger 1! :-)

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Re: Oh no! I did it! I bought a (used) Armortek Tiger 1! :-)

Post by Marco Peter »

Took my Tiger out for a first spin in the wild last night!
I ran her over some grass and some (wet sand), leaves and dirt/soil too. It was FUN! But... OMFG it get's dirty!

Currently she is parked in the living room for restoration, so I did some cleaning right there, it was a mess. Sand, dirt, even dog poo... Yikes.

Took the tracks off and took them into the shower, kilo's of sand and hands full of branches removed, still not very clean. We also tried to brush off most of the sand from the wheels (a lot of wheels! I'm beginning to understand Panzer-crews now haha!)

So... The big question... How to clean my big cat? And how often? Tips/tricks are welcome!
1:16 was my scale. Until 'Konan' came into my life... an Armortek 1:6 Tiger 1!
... Now followed by a Panther G, 'Gunther'!

I'm a happy man. 8)
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

How about an HVLP spraygun filled with a mild detergent solution for the tracks, suspension & running gear?
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
A tip I have learned from cleaning my black powder revolvers ( which also get stupendously filthy during a normal shooting session ) is to use just water ( in your case, an outdoor hose ) on those tracks and then while they are still damp, spray them down with a product called 'Ballistol'. It removes water from the pores of the metal and leaves a nice, protective film to keep rust from forming. For the upper hull with all of it's detail, scale up from the regular size brush we use to remove dust on our 1/16 scale armor, and use a soft BBQ grill brush to remove dirt and debris. Have fun! It's all part of the 1/6 learning curve. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

PainlessWolf wrote:... It's all part of the 1/6 learning curve. ;o)
A steep one haha!

I'm a happy man. 8)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Your shower reminds me of my married days (and possibly why I'm not married now.. ). :haha: In the 70s and 80s, my hobby was rebuilding early Mini Cooper 'S' 1071 and 1275cc cars (the real Monte Carlo Rally winning Mini..not the smug looking BMW version..). As often as not, there would be oily engines, subframes, etc.. in our hallway, and even an engine block being cleaned in the kitchen sink :O . You may be able to guess the look on my ex-wife's face. ...
Sometimes it was: :-< , and on other occasions: :/ :/ .
WE are still good friends, however..albeit 600 miles (or many thousands of kitchen sinks..) apart :thumbup: :thumbup:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Your shower reminds me of my married days (and possibly who I'm not married now.. ). :haha: In the 70s and 80s, my hobby was rebuilding early Mini Cooper 'S' 1071 and 1275cc cars (the real Monte Carlo Rally winning Mini..not the smug looking BMW version..). As often as not, there would be oily engines, subframes, etc.. in our hallway, and even an engine block being cleaned in the kitchen sink :O . You may be able to guess the look on my ex-wife's face. ...
Sometimes it was: :-< , and on other occasions: .
WE are still good friends, however..albeit 600 miles (or many thousands of kitchen sinks..) apart :thumbup: :thumbup:
Wow, Roy, does that bring back memories. The old lady bitchin' to "Get these damn Harley parts out of my kitchen!! And when are you gonna get that bike out of the dining room!?!" @) :haha: :haha: :wtf:
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

I'm so glad I'm not the only one haha!

But actually, my wife is not even complaining that much. I'm a very lucky man!

I'm a happy man. 8)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Wow, Roy, does that bring back memories. The old lady bitchin' to "Get these damn Harley parts out of my kitchen!! And when are you gonna get that bike out of the dining room!?!" @) :haha: :haha: :wtf:[/quote]

Yep, We cavemen don't live in caves any more; but the urge to have a 'cave' seems to remain.. :think: ;) Sooo...your hunting steed was the Harley, then, Gary?
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Marco Peter wrote:I'm so glad I'm not the only one haha!

But actually, my wife is not even complaining that much. I'm a very lucky man!
Lucky indeed, Marco :thumbup: Just wait, though, until you crush her toes under those mighty Tiger tracks... :haha: Then, even the chocolates and roses will have no effect :lolno:
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

Been working on the gun mantlet to see if I could get more of a cast structure.

Spraying Mr. Surfacer 500 didn't actually do a lot, I guess I leave that to WAY smaller models. Ended up making my own putty/superglue mix. Man you need a LOT on a 1:6 model haha!

Not sure how much I like it, yes, there's more structure, but still not nearly as much as I wanted. But hey, I love the details I'm adding to my big cat!

I'm a happy man. 8)

Return to “Larger Scale Military”