No way to treat a Tortoise...

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: No way to treat a Tortoise...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

tomhugill wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:The sea air up here can reduce even galvanised parts to heaps of red dust before you know it; but I'd never suspect that a kitchen in Manchester could be so cruel to a helpless beast. Perhaps Tom should have used brass bolts..
;)
I wonder if there's something in the cast texture ian used as the kv5 had the same
Issue or rusting bolts. The kitchen is not so bad, however the bottom shelf near the door of my garage seems to create natural oxidisation!

Woz the turret looks fantastic so far!
Could be some sort of chemical reaction, I suppose. :think: Salt is the usual enemy of iron and steel. Just out of curiosity, Tom, do you think the cast texture is in need of toning down, or will you be adding another levelling layer of some sort at the priming stage? That's after a coat of 'rust eater', of course :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
tomhugill wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:The sea air up here can reduce even galvanised parts to heaps of red dust before you know it; but I'd never suspect that a kitchen in Manchester could be so cruel to a helpless beast. Perhaps Tom should have used brass bolts..
;)
I wonder if there's something in the cast texture ian used as the kv5 had the same
Issue or rusting bolts. The kitchen is not so bad, however the bottom shelf near the door of my garage seems to create natural oxidisation!

Could be some sort of chemical reaction, I suppose. :think: Salt is the usual enemy of iron and steel. Just out of curiosity, Tom, do you think the cast texture is in need of toning down, or will you be adding another levelling layer of some sort at the priming stage? That's after a coat of 'rust eater', of course :D
It's defintly too rough, it'll be sanded down and probably redone using Mr surfacer. Rust water for sure (or brass bolts)!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Mr Surfacer is an excellent product for reworking models cosmetically :thumbup: . Apart from having- I suspect- the only 1/16 scale (rusty) Tortoise in the Northern Hemisphere, Tom, you'll have the advantage of acres of internal real estate for electronics, motors and smokers. After working in the Cromwell turret, I know what a relief that will be :thumbup: :)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Woz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Woz »

tomhugill wrote:
;)

Getting carried away as I got some transparent resin to do the vision blocks, lights etc,
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Woz wrote:
tomhugill wrote:
;)

Getting carried away as I got some transparent resin to do the vision blocks, lights etc,
Fantastic!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Vision blocks- now there's a subject in it's own right. I'd thought of using bits of transparent sprue; but it should be possible to make small mould for transparent resin, I expect. Is there a way of putting a thin film of paint on one side to give the impression of depth?
Here's pic I took through the vision blocks of a Swiss Mowag Piranha AFV:
Swiss Mowag Piranha AFV Vision blocks
Swiss Mowag Piranha AFV Vision blocks
View through Piranha AFV Vision block
View through Piranha AFV Vision block
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Woz wrote:Hot off the printer-
20180318_094925~2.jpg
By heck, that looks very niceImage
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Close, but I think that that's an earlier version.

Possibly a KV-1 version Big Wind?

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
TheCrow
Recruit

Post by TheCrow »

Hi Tom,

i just registered myself here specially for your Tortoise Build :) Im looking very forward to see your finished tank.

I´m from germany and had build this tank two years ago. I hope it is allowed to show some pictures of mine. Keep up the good work.
3466-85957a94.jpg
3465-b86b3015.jpg
3464-63efeefb.jpg
3463-9d82a338.jpg
At the moment I´m casting a scale boogies for the suspension and scale tank threads for a second better build of this tank. I totaly love this tank and its shape.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

TheCrow wrote:Hi Tom,

i just registered myself here specially for your Tortoise Build :) Im looking very forward to see your finished tank.

I´m from germany and had build this tank two years ago. I hope it is allowed to show some pictures of mine. Keep up the good work.
3466-85957a94.jpg
3465-b86b3015.jpg
3464-63efeefb.jpg
3463-9d82a338.jpg
At the moment I´m casting a scale boogies for the suspension and scale tank threads for a second better build of this tank. I totaly love this tank and its shape.
Hey Crow! I'm very glad you did join, your tortoise is superb! Do you have any more details of the build/internals you could share? I'd love to see

Return to “General Discussion”