TAIGEN PZ IV 4TH BATTLE OF KHARKOV 14 AUGUST 1943

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

G'day lads
Been lucky enough to have a new Taigen PzIV with the V2 electronics to work on for one of our NBRCTC members.
He is the guy that paints incredible figures Ive put up on occasion.
Ive got a mission on to fabricate & fit a set or brass Schurzen to it, whilst making it robust enough to stand the rough outdoors battlefield and not fall apart.
I was going to put this in others, but its not really a build as such, rather a pimp-out.

The tank itself out of the box is crisply detailed.
Tool clamps are sharp, the stowage bin is spot on correct, the mantlet has been corrected, and the entire metal & plastic combo is a very weighty and well built unit.

Down sides are................rear engine deck is still not sloped correctly. Drive sprocket height still not high enough, no track tensioning device fitted, some tools are molded to the hull guards and a quite obvious gap over the barrel in behind the mantlet.

These details aside, it drives well, sounds 100% better than the previous offerings, and is well & truly sturdy.

Ive used brass sheet and cut each one out to suit a later design . The type that use triangle teeth to hang the skirts from.
Brass flat bar and angle to form the actual hanger frames which will be gel super glued AND pinned to the hull.

The straps for each plate are the last to be made................30 of the stuff'n things. :/
Its been a real privilege to do this for him, this thing is expensive,and he's a real PzIV tragic , so Ive got to get it right.
Hes happy to accept some inaccuracy in exchange for close representation and over all- toughness.

Taigen really have done a top class job on this.
Attachments
P2080004.JPG
P2080003.JPG
P2020003.JPG
P1270006.JPG
P1250003.JPG
P1250003.JPG (78.33 KiB) Viewed 2317 times
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

Cool Herman! Will you build schurtzen for the turret as well?
1:16 was my scale. Until 'Konan' came into my life... an Armortek 1:6 Tiger 1!
... Now followed by a Panther G, 'Gunther'!

I'm a happy man. 8)
Arnie_DK
Corporal

Post by Arnie_DK »

Oh I'm looking forward to see how this turns out :D

Are you using the template from the downloads section??
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Herman this looks like a really robust and solid Panzer for sure :thumbup:

Your schurzen setup is quite impressive work! Glad to hear you approve of this latest offering from Taigen.

Will be following along :clap:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Marco Peter wrote:Cool Herman! Will you build schurtzen for the turret as well?
No sadly. The owner has a set of Tamiya turret armour he wants to fit.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Arnie_DK wrote:Oh I'm looking forward to see how this turns out :D

Are you using the template from the downloads section??
No Sir Mr DK.
A plethora of pictures and some German made styrene plates.
In all honesty, I completely forgot to look there :{ :{
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

c.rainford73 wrote:Herman this looks like a really robust and solid Panzer for sure :thumbup:

Your schurzen setup is quite impressive work! Glad to hear you approve of this latest offering from Taigen.

Will be following along :clap:
Cheers Mr Rainford

For what my opinions worth in International Commerce, this thing could almost make me want to do a PzIV........... :problem:
For me, I would all day long get a lower hull and turret, but for the cost, I would get an H/L upper and not feel bad about cutting to make it right.
The electronics............hell yeah, for a "toy grade" (that is not elmod, clarke, Benedini, etc etc) this is by far the best option.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I finished the hangers & soldered them onto the frames, and made the skirt plate retainers...............all 30 of those damn things !

In this case accuracy has to be compromised for operational resilience.
Attachments
P2110008.JPG
P2110007.JPG
P2110006.JPG
P2110005.JPG
P2110003.JPG
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Yes, as far as the turret's concerned, Taigen really did make an effort to get it right. It's such a pity that they didn't use the part alloy/part ABS type format of metal hull we saw on their Tiger, Panther, and Pz 111. :( The moulded in idler bracket is a bad idea. Fitting any kind of track tensioner thereafter is going to be a lot of hard work, and grinding. The Asiatam/Taigen adjuster (similar in principle to the Tamiya one) could be fitted; but oh what a pain, eh? :|
Great work, though, HB on the schurzen attachments :clap:
In the event that you build one for yourself, buying a cheap upper hull, and trimming the faults off is the way to go. :thumbup: Certainly, cutting a slope into the rear engine deck ought to be a must :think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Spartan tracks
Staff Sergeant

Post by Spartan tracks »

Hi Herm I had a Torro version and I took one look at it and sent it back despite all you mentioned it needs a major suspension upgrade from the sheer wait there was no suspension left it was squashed flat under the weight.

Regards Andy
Jagdpanther 1/6 1st SS
Torro Sturmtiger Clark TK60
Torro Jagdtiger Elmod Pro
Torro Panther G Clark TK60
Torro Panther F Clark TK60
Taigen Tiger 1 Early .....
Torro Jagdpanther TK60
Hooben Elephant Elmod Pro
Torro Tiger 1 Late ...
Torro KIng Tiger .....

Return to “Other Builds”