choosing radio to work with Open Panzer TCB

Discuss your radio gear here!
Smaily
Private

Re: choosing radio to work with Open Panzer TCB

Post by Smaily »

I can't say about others, but I have Turnigy TGY-i6S and it works just fine with OP TCB. However I tried it only using 6CH receiver, I have now 10CH, but I did not have time to test it. Also I am kind of a newbie in RC, but for few bucks I got nice radio.
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

Thanks for all the suggestions & advice, I have a bit more homework to do. at least most of the choices are within my budget ......
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

jhamm wrote: I would prefer the Taranis Q X7 with Telemetry - the TH9x is outdated
FrSky X4R-SB SBus receiver when you need extra Functions by Servo
If you need only SBus there is the verry cheap FrSky XM Micro Ultra-Light 16 Channel Full-Range Receiver without Telemetry
or the FrSky R-XSR Ultra Mini Redundancy Receiver with Telemetry.
I like the look & specification of the Taranis Q X7....... the Open Panzer wiki recommends the FrSky X4R sbus receiver however I have just had a look at the XM Micro receiver, it's size & price are amazing.

I am curious about the FrSky XM Micro receiver, am I right in thinking that with an Open Panzer board I would have no need of any direct servo connections? Forgive the possibly dumb question, but when would I ever need a direct servo connection on an R/C tank?

Thanks

Brian
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Here's a detailed review of the QX7. Conveniently for model tankers, it comes with both sticks self-centring- a key consideration when buying a TX for this hobby. :think:
https://oscarliang.com/taranis-q-x7-tx/
Self-centring on both gimbals is not a standard feature of Turnigy radios, I believe (I may be wrong there), but adapters can be bought, or another self-centring gimbal for the default model tank setup.
My neighbour has a Taranis for his helo, and is smitten with its quality and feature set. They have a good reputation, I understand.
I'm happy with my Spektrum DX6i, as it's versatile enough for tanking needs, and feels well made. :thumbup:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Take a good look at the FlySky i10. Easiest TX to use I've seen, and I have the 9X, 9XR Pro, I6, T6, and the HK6S. I've heard very, very good things about Taranis, but have no personal experience with them.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

rochesb wrote:
I am curious about the FrSky XM Micro receiver, am I right in thinking that with an Open Panzer board I would have no need of any direct servo connections? Forgive the possibly dumb question, but when would I ever need a direct servo connection on an R/C tank?

Thanks

Brian
Look at this:

TCB with XM

you need direct Servo connection if further movement is required and the tcb does not offer that
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

The TCB & XM receiver photo looks impressive thanks. Forgive me, (a complete tank novice on a steep learning curve) but could you expand upon your comment re the direct servo connection? I can see for a car or boat I would need a steering servo, but where would I use a servo in a 'bog standard' tank?

In something like a King Tiger?

As I understand it, the TCB would handle forward/reverse motion, track steering, turret rotation & gun elevation/recoil as well as audio & 'smoke'? What am I missing?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Just stuff like servo operated MG or a TC that can turn his head. And if you want volume control from the TX you need a channel on a pot and an RVC or Viper. You might also want to use a pico or receiver controlled switch to power additional lights or other accessories. I'm using the i10 in my 1/6 Hetzer and it works great. It's controlling a Sabertooth motor controller, an IBU2 Pro for sound and a couple of functions like pulling the trigger on the .50 caliber paintball cannon, but I have both elevation and traverse on high torque servos running straight off the RX. The same TX also runs my 1/16 Jagdtiger with the IBU2 and on that one the only extra channels I use are for volume and servo operated MG.

Try to think not only of what you want to do now, but what you might also want to do in the future.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

OK thanks, I guess I need to use my imagination a bit more, or look at more of the detail in build threads on the forum.
As I understand it, some of the things you have mentioned can be achieved with the Open Panzer board so using the XM receiver without servo ports would not be too much of a restriction.
If at a later date I decided I needed servos after all, I would need a new receiver. The XM receiver is less that 10USD so I won't have wasted much money.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Max-U52 wrote:Just stuff like servo operated MG or a TC that can turn his head. And if you want volume control from the TX you need a channel on a pot and an RVC or Viper. You might also want to use a pico or receiver controlled switch to power additional lights or other accessories. I'm using the i10 in my 1/6 Hetzer and it works great. It's controlling a Sabertooth motor controller, an IBU2 Pro for sound and a couple of functions like pulling the trigger on the .50 caliber paintball cannon, but I have both elevation and traverse on high torque servos running straight off the RX. The same TX also runs my 1/16 Jagdtiger with the IBU2 and on that one the only extra channels I use are for volume and servo operated MG.

Try to think not only of what you want to do now, but what you might also want to do in the future.
If you're using a benedini you can control volume from the tx. I need to rear up but I thought the open Panzer tcb had some.aux servo contentions from the board.

Return to “Radio Gear”