Tamiya M4 105 Sherman

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Burger_Patrol1
Lance Corporal

Re: Tamiya M4 105 Sherman

Post by Burger_Patrol1 »

Cool race cars and Awesome bday present Dayle!!! :thumbup:
I love that smell when you open up a brand new RC tank. Kind of like the new car smell... :D
I'm going to show my wife this post and maybe she will get the hint for my Bday in April :clap:
Tanks a lot,
Burger_Patrol1
Brea, CA. USA ;D
Tamy T1
Tamy Sand Scorcher
Tamy BlackFoot
Tamy Clodbuster
Static Dio's
Dayle Frame
Recruit

Post by Dayle Frame »

Estnische wrote:One of our Aussie legends, Allan Moffat, started his career in the SCCA CENDIV and attended a reunion at Waterford recently. He won a Trans Am round outright in '66, which was a rare feat in a four cylinder car.

Sorry for side tracking your thread
I forgot to mention that my wife and I have been to Oz....not once but twice. And we loved every minute of it. Way back in 2000 we spent three weeks down there before the Olympics (Sydney, Coffs Harbor, Gold Coast, Cairns). In 2014, we spent a week in the Blue Mohntains and a few days in Sydney (madam attended a microscopy conference). We did two laps at Bathurst. What a blast. I can’t say enough nice things about all the folks we ran into along the way. Whether it was a life guard at Manly Beach or a B&B owner in Cairns, all the Aussies we’ve ever met have been top shelf. We’ll be back!

Dayle
Dayle
==========
Current: Tamiya King Tiger (56004), Tamiya M4A3 (56014)
Next: Tamiya Panzer IV (56026)
Met5
Corporal

Post by Met5 »

the old sherman ..... if you take it at the end you fall in love and do not give up anymore
Dayle Frame
Recruit

Post by Dayle Frame »

i disassembled what I’d done for the dry build. I wanted to use black, allan bolts instead of the chromed screws that came with the kit. After getting the bolts I reassembled the suspension......this time using loktite. I continued the assembly by installing the motors. With advice gained from this forum, I bought a hull brace plate from ETO. I added the tracks, completed the rear panel and installed the front cover.

Next, it’s the electronics.......
Attachments
Lower hull finished and awaiting electronic guts
Lower hull finished and awaiting electronic guts
IMG_Feb32018at103857AM.jpg (73.56 KiB) Viewed 3510 times
Completed rear panel
Completed rear panel
IMG_Feb32018at103724AM.jpg (55.33 KiB) Viewed 3510 times
ETO hull brace under the motors
ETO hull brace under the motors
IMG_Feb32018at103548AM.jpg (55.25 KiB) Viewed 3510 times
Dayle
==========
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Well, you have jumped straight in at the deep end, Dayle. :D I expect all those years tinkering with the Sprite have given you the urge to dismantle stuff, and rebuild it in an improved format. I spent many years building, and rebuilding
examples of the Mini Cooper 'S' (1275cc, and early 1071cc models). It had essentially the same 'A' series engine as the Sprite, but was race-tuned for rallying and, of course, 'The Italian Job" movie :D the BMW version is not the same beast, but still looks good...I suppose..
I shall look forward to the rest of your Sherman tune-up. The ETO gears certainly generate those 'must have those!' type feelings :thumbup:
Roy.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Burger_Patrol1
Lance Corporal

Post by Burger_Patrol1 »

Hey Dayle,
That Sherman is coming along good!! :thumbup: I'm thinking this might be my next build, if I ever get my Tiger finished :D
Inspirational...following...
Dano
Tanks a lot,
Burger_Patrol1
Brea, CA. USA ;D
Tamy T1
Tamy Sand Scorcher
Tamy BlackFoot
Tamy Clodbuster
Static Dio's
Dayle Frame
Recruit

Post by Dayle Frame »

After wrestling with the electronics for several days, I was able to get back to actually assembling this critter. I was able to attach all the items that needed to be OD green to the turret and upper hull and then spray paint them.

I flipped the hull and assembled the glass fiber lighting system. As I’ve never worked with this material before, I was leery of jumping it......but cutting with with an X-acto knife was easy, cheesy.

Next I inserted the gear into the turret and attached the turret base. As it was all assembled, I tested the gun elevation system. The motor proved to be too strong and it split the mantlet from the turret. Geez....now what? I’ve got to re-glue the mantlet to the gun mount. So I had remove the turret hardware (motor, motor mount, turret ring) to create enough room to have access to the glue the affected pieces. I was forced to ask my wife to lend a hand and support the turret while I played surgeon......but we got it done and it works fine.

I figured out how to stuff the guts into the hull.......(insert joke about a Chinese puzzle here).....throw in a few zip ties to keep the wiring arranged and it’s a tightly packed compartment.

Next there’s some disassembly to paint a few things. Once all that’s done, it’s on to final assembly (add painted upper hull items, decals, build and paint the figure, etc.).

Dayle
Attachments
The components of the turret.
The components of the turret.
IMG_Feb132018at95903AM.jpg (70.36 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
A really, full hull.
A really, full hull.
IMG_Feb132018at95741AM.jpg (79.08 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
Glass fiber lighting system
Glass fiber lighting system
IMG_Feb112018at83536PM.jpg (86.54 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
Painted upper hull
Painted upper hull
IMG_Feb112018at83420PM.jpg (79.28 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
Dayle
==========
Dayle Frame
Recruit

Post by Dayle Frame »

After six weeks of flogging, this project is finally over. I need to come up with a cool name for her but the build is complete. It was a lot of fun. When I showed it to my wife, she asked "so, which one is next?"........we’ll see.

I didn’t want to fool around with weathering.....I’m not good enough at that.....maybe next time.

I need to figure out what’s what withthe machine gun. She makes the noise but doesn’t light up. But that’s for another thread. All the other electronics work just fine.

Many thanks to folks for the help along the way.

Dayle
Attachments
Finished 02.jpg
Finished 02.jpg (82.84 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
Finished 01.jpg
Finished 01.jpg (86.08 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
Dayle
==========
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Congrats for your first model.

If the machine gun sounds but there is no light, I could have some ideas:
FIrst of all, did you plug it in the correct slot?
Did you put the optic fbre inside the barrel?
Are you sure you did not put paint inside the barrel blocking the led or the optic fiber?
And last: Does the led work?
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Dayle Frame
Recruit

Post by Dayle Frame »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Congrats for your first model.

If the machine gun sounds but there is no light, I could have some ideas:
Rad_Schuhart wrote:FIrst of all, did you plug it in the correct slot?
I think so.....this model has the fancier electronics so this plugged into the "extension unit". That lead is plugged into CN3 on the DMD T-05.
Rad_Schuhart wrote:Did you put the optic fibre inside the barrel?
Yes....and I scuffed the GF with 800 grit emory cloth too.
Rad_Schuhart wrote:Are you sure you did not put paint inside the barrel blocking the led or the optic fiber?
I did not paint the inside of the barrel, just the outside.
Rad_Schuhart wrote:And last: Does the led work?
As far as I can tell, no. But its all glued together and without disassembling it (and potentially causing damage) I can't be sure.

I should have tested the assembly before attaching everything to the hull. My bad and lesson learned. I'll try to carefully disassemble the LED from its housing and see if the light works.
Dayle
==========

Return to “Tamiya Builds”