Vandra Ram II Canadian Sherman conversion - Build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Vandra Ram II Canadian Sherman conversion - Build

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
Louis, you have almost made Vandra into a swear word around here. I have one more Sherman or Sherman based vehicle build planned after the M10 so as to make a full platoon of five. I was really into their Lee or this Ram but seeing everything that you have brought to light and had to deal with, a Tamiya Easy Eight build might be more fun for my arty-fied knuckles. No saying but that they make see all this and learn from it like we did and do better with their next run at production. Following along,
Regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Nice work, I would have thrown it away by now or sent it back!!

Amazing skills to bring it back from the dead.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

I am actually grateful for Vandra for producing kits. Without them, I would not have an M3, M7, Firefly and soon a Ram. On the positive side, their resin is of very good quality, well crafted, strong and without air bubbles. Parts also have limited carrots to remove. If they could spend more time at measurements, maybe using an accurate 1/35 kit like I do as rreference, and maybe review their prototypes with us first, then things would be really good. They should try to prevent major mistakes that could be easily avoided, and improve them. The last thing I want is to discourage a vendor from producing kits.
Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,
This is the planning stage for the suspension and electronics.

Mato T74 metals tracks and sprocket will be used. These are of great quality but very heavy compared to the plastic Mato tracks I used on the M7. I started to have concerns for the M3 suspension.
Mato T74 tracks
Mato T74 tracks
Shapeways early spoked road wheels will be used. This time, I was careful of selecting the "Green Polished" material, and also to pick the variant with the regular 5 spoke instead of the rarer 6 spoke wheel.
Shapeways Sherman Spoke road wheel
Bizarre, the wheels has small holes on one side that let go white powder for quite a while, something to be careful of. As if I had not enough dust in my work area.
I inspected the Vandra M3 suspension conversion parts a bit closer to see how I would use and modify them for the build. The axel for the roller has a metal center covered with resin. As you can see, the connection between the axel resin and the plastic bogie is quite fragile. I imagine some epoxy would be required to keep them in place. Not sure how they would resist the heavy Mato metal tracks.
Vandra M3 suspension conversion parts
Then disaster happened. As i was holding the first unit to remove the heavy carrot with a saw (me who just previously said Vandra carrots were light...), the whole thing imploded out of my hand in 4 pieces. That's it with these parts... I was not a happy guy. Well, maybe it is a good thing to find that out now.
I therefore ordered Shapeways M3 suspension conversion kit, the same ones I used on the M7 build. They are as much work to install but at least I know they will not explode while I drive the tank. I selected the Green polished material this time which should help a bit with the sanding required.
Shapeways M3 Bogies
Shapeways M3 Bogies
Shapeways M3 bogies.JPG (53.3 KiB) Viewed 2373 times
Testing with the Clark TK-22 (M4) control board. It was not working initially and it took me a while to find out the CH 1 to 4 connector need to be upside down on the receiver compared to servo connectors. Its complex to operate, much practice will be required to handle the tank with it. The machine gun turret will be easily controlled by channel 5 hooked to the VRA rolling button on the remote. A Clark recoil unit was ordered so I will not use the HL pellet gun.
TK-22
TK-22
First time I notice that I have a HL Sherman 2 way elevation unit. There is a stopper that prevent the wheel from rotation 360. I am used to the 1 way unit. I was happy to see that it works with the Clark Control without doing the wiring modification that is specified in the Clark instructions. At least one good surprise, but it is not installed yet...
HL elevation unit
HL elevation unit
Also want to announce than my loyal cordless Dremel died while sanding a resin part of the Ram. This build is definitely testing me...RIP

Regards, Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Louis you should make a monument to that dremel. It has been very busy I agree although the parts broke, at least it happened before final assembly.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I thought I had a hard time with my Jagdtiger build....................Its almost embarrassing to compare my difficulties to yours mate :{

I sincerely hope those at Vandra are looking on and are smart enough to take it on the chin & get things right.

Brilliant work as usual Sir
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Continuing with the build, no major concerns anymore, just a lot of sanding and adjustments.

These are the front side storage bins. Again, we can see the vendor bad habit of always making things oversized. The shaded areas need to be removed. These are solid resin blocks so it takes times. The main angle also need to be adjusted as well.
Vandra Ram II conversion kit
Bins are installed, a 3 hour job end to end.
That metal rod going across the 2 bins and over the transmission cover was seen on all Ram pictures, and replicated here. Not sure what was the use of it, maybe some kind of reinforcement pole, I bit weird but accuracy is important.
This view of the lower rear shows the installation of the Mato plastic air filters with armored plates seen on reference. Everything on the rear plate was sanded smooth for the installation of the Vandra engine doors and the Mato track adjusters, a must when using Mato tracks.
Rear view of the Ram
Checking out the turret by dry fitting some of the major parts. A last, I am happily surprised by the quality of the turret parts. The gun shield shapes and dimensions are good.
I previously removed 7mm in height from the bottom of the top part and it seems to have fixed the turret. Now, I need to see if the equipment will fit inside. The Ram turret is smaller and more angular than the Sherman turret, so it will be tight. We shall see later.
I can see a couple of things to add to the turret but overall, this area is very good, finally I am getting a break and do not have to cut the turret or gun shield in half...
I have no more doubt, this will be a good looking Ram tank.
Regards, Louis
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

lmcq11 wrote:I have no more doubt, this will be a good looking Ram tank.
That's for sure! The silhouette looks spot-on when compared with your Verlinden model. Surely the worst is over now, or is that tempting fate? ;)
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

I am almost done with the construction of the Vandra kit parts. Now i have to wait to get the Shapeways M3 boogies, .30 Cal machine guns and the Clark recoil that i have ordered. Still have a few things to manage, such as the head lamps, fire extinguishers, and minor details to add.

The exterior of the Ram II turret is finished. The gun is temporarily attached, awaiting recoil and flash units.
Vandra Ram II tank
Vandra Ram II tank
The kit parts for the turret show good level of details. Its sad that Vandra misinterpreted the height of the hull.
Vandra Ram II tank
Vandra Ram II tank
Because i removed 7mm in height, I had to redo the turret back plate, now it is rectangular as it should be. However, I am missing the right kind of screw to finish it and they are on order.
Vandra Ram II tank
Vandra Ram II tank
A new tank model is a treat. Like many modeller on this blog, I know by heart every millimeter of the Tiger, Panther, Sherman... so getting a new tank shape to discover is fun. I added some minor details seen on picture.
Vandra Ram II tank
Vandra Ram II tank
Vandra Ram II tank
Vandra Ram II tank
A mini servo assigned to the knob button on channel 5 is installed under the .30 cal machine gun turret for rotation, and it works very well. It's very simple and I saw no point in over engineering this requirement. I will provide a video of it once the machine gun and flasher are installed.
Vandra Ram II tank
Vandra Ram II tank
A plastic strip going across the small turret slides next to the servo arm when the upper hull is put on the chassis. Just need to manually align the turret with it as it slides down..
Vandra Ram II tank
Vandra Ram II tank
Overview of the model as it stands today.
Vandra Ram II tank
Vandra Ram II tank
It will obviously look better with its M3 suspension and T74 tracks.
Vandra Ram II tank
Vandra Ram II tank
Vandra Ram II tank
Vandra Ram II tank
Cool tank, I am happy with the results achieved so far. That's the thing about scratch building and converting a conversion kit, there will be no other exactly like it.

Regards, Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Louis wonderful skills. It looks nothing like the kit you purchased and presented a while ago.

Are you using servo recoil and flash ? Turret rotation via the Heng Long unit and do you have room for elevation ?

Once you mount those bogies and tracks it will look even better than it does now.
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Other Builds”