King Tiger in process

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: King Tiger in process

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening,
Still following along. You have done some great work to update the King Tiger. Your zimmerit looks good enough to make me consider it for mine!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

S.O.A.G.,
Years back when I got this same tank from HL, it came with metal tracks and sprockets and idlers. I noticed the same issue with the suspension arms and changed them out for what was available at the time, a set of metal asiatam ones. That and an adjustable idler brace from Phil took care of any running issues the tank had. I've used it with no issues with the plastic wheels since they easily modded to the Asiatam screw method of attachment. The HL springs could be adjusted for extra weight even then. A lot of time has gone by and it's time to upgrade this tank but this time I think I am just going to go with a Taigen\Torro metal lower. Sorry for the butt-inski, just wanted S.O.A.G. to know that these could be good runners with some massaging.
regards,
Painless
Last edited by PainlessWolf on Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
...Here for the Dawn...
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

PainlessWolf wrote:S.O.A.G.,
Years back when I got this same tank from HL, it came with metal tracks and sprockets and idlers. I noticed the same issue with the suspension arms and changed them out for what was available at the time, a set of metal asiatam ones. That and an adjustable idler brace from Phil took care of any running issues the tank had. I've used it with no issues with the plastic wheels since they easily modded to the Asaitam screw method of attachment. The HL springs could be adjusted for extra weight even then. A lot of time has gone by and it's time to upgrade this tank but this time I think I am just going to go with a Taigen\Torro metal lower. Sorry for the butt-inski, just wanted S.O.A.G. to know that these could be good runners with some massaging.
regards,
Painless

I love this KT. It's straight out of the box a great runner. I have run it in the tall grass, sand, dirt, rocks, through the woodpile junk, and it has done nothing but perform very well. I greased the gears and sprayed some dry lube on the idlers and it has done it all for me. I did order it with the metal tracks, wheels, and gears so maybe that had something to do with it. I think I would put this KT up against anything out there.

I've been happy enough with it that I own 3 other HL tanks and am equally as happy with them.

Be well,
Steve
King Tiger, Panzer "G" model, Tiger 1, and one little Sherman.
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

And Painless - the zimmerit was really easy to apply. Except for around the machinegun port. That was a bugger.

Be well,
Steve
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Norton1 wrote:And Painless - the zimmerit was really easy to apply. Except for around the machinegun port. That was a bugger.

Be well,
Steve
Steve the zimmerit IMHO brings these late war Panzers to life ImageThere's something so industrial and complex about the look of these machines with it. Your work with it is fantastic :clap:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

Thank you Carl. That's high praise coming from you.

Be well,
Steve
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Thanks Steve for your kind words you have inspired me to put zimmerit on the Stug III that I am assembling. It will take me some time to get all the parts together so now this is on my list of things to do
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Alfa Three Five
Private

Post by Alfa Three Five »

Norton1 wrote:Well my wife and I are finally getting over the flu. Man this stuff is BAD! Kris hasn't moved from the bed or couch for 3 days. I think she likes my cooking. ;D

I went out in the shop today and managed to get a few things done. I did the dark wash, flat black at 10 to 1 ratio through the airbrush and it did tone it down a bunch. Maybe almost to much but I really like the tiger striping effect it had on the Zimmerit. Than I started working on lens for the view ports and hit on the idea of using hot glue as it dries as an opaque glassy finish. It came out pretty well. Not quite as flat on the outside as I had hoped but it is what it is and I called it quit as good enough.
20180203_124150 (700x525).jpg
20180203_122113 (700x525).jpg
20180203_122201 (1) (700x525).jpg
20180203_122211 (700x525).jpg
I also can't seem to get a board to work in my "G" Panther. I met a guy in Michigan,through some miss shipping issues from overseas, and he sent me a bunch of Taigen parts that he has replaced in his KT. I'm going to put them in this HL "G" series and see if that doesn't straighten this pig out. 3 HL boards later and it's time to try something else.
20180203_133727 (700x525).jpg
20180203_133809 (1) (700x525).jpg
Congrats for the wash!

If you want to lighter some details or accentuate the deepness you can dry-brush a little of the colour you used mixed with some white (just a little bit)
Norton1
Lance Corporal

Post by Norton1 »

Well I am bummed. I can't get those decals to stay on. I put the Micro sol on, put the decals on, blotted the excess out, then put the micro set on. I took someones advice, applied everything and then left for a bit. Well the decals were peeling up at the corners and edges. Reapplied the stuff and smoothed it down. Still lifting. I've been 2 hours fooling with this stuff and it is not working.

One beautiful tank and it's turning into a piece of ugly before my very eyes. I'm about ready to put super glue down. The decals sure aren't staying with the micro stuff.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Not sure whether it was a slip of the fingers, but you should use the micro set first, apply the decal and then the micro sol.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D

Return to “Heng Long Builds”