Asiatam StuG IV conversion kit...

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Asiatam StuG IV conversion kit...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

c.rainford73 wrote:Roy so nice to see something went somewhat seamlessly for once :clap:

The hatches look very nice and the coupala is a good one tooImage
Thanks, Carl! I'm not superstitious, but positive vibes like yours can spell doom for the next stage of this inauspicious project :S :haha:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

StuG IV- Spare wheel box position
StuG IV- Spare wheel box position
I find it interesting that the spare wheel box on the Stug IV was installed vertically, although the obvious choice would be to fit it directly against the casemate side. But then it would be angled.. :eh: Can't think why it should be vertical, but it is. Maybe it was something as simple as allowing rain to run off the casemate side :eh: Here's another example:
Stug IV- with vertically mounted spare wheel box.
Stug IV- with vertically mounted spare wheel box.
StuG IV- based on Ausf J..jpg (89.58 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
This model's interesting because it was based on the Ausf J model I'm building; but it's clearly a fairly late model, as it only has three return rollers... Talk about- penny pinching, eh? Perhaps that should have been pfennig pinching. :D
Why am I bothering with the orientation of this particular fitting? Well, I'm just about to fit it to the StuG IV, and want to get it positioned in an authentic manner.
Here's a closeup view of the fitting:
StuG IV- Spare wheel container- mounting details
StuG IV- Spare wheel container- mounting details
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Here's the Asiatam version of the box. I've already bonded the transverse retaining panel to it. As you can see, it's a fairly crude affair; but serves as the basis for an expert in tarting tanks up. I'm not one of those. :|
Asiatam StuG IV- Spare wheels container
Asiatam StuG IV- Spare wheels container
But in order to fit this to the casemate side, I shall need to make some triangular fillets out of styrene... I'll also have to fabricate the two straps at the top.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

A Good principle in scratch building is never to throw away spare bits of sprue and used styrene. Here I'm using some of the 2.5mm sprue surround that came with my Cromwell kit. The castoffs from that kit are almost sufficient to build another model, and also come in a useful variety of gauges. :thumbup:
Making styrene fillets for Spare wheel container mountings
Making styrene fillets for Spare wheel container mountings
and here they are after I've excised them and sanded them to size. The base of the triangle needs to be 5mm in order for the box to stand vertically.
Fillets ready for bonding to the box
Fillets ready for bonding to the box
Right from the outset, I've had problems bonding the bits of this kit together. Time and again, parts that appeared to be adhering properly, fell off later. I started with cement, then ABS cement (with address pressure); then Plastic Fusion
two part epoxy. I've also used Loctite 401 (metal to plastic). All of these used with varying levels of success. Two part epoxy worked the best binging the Casemate to the hull: the two largest (and structural) parts in the kit, and the ones therefore needing the firmest bond. :/
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Finally, after the top straps sprang off, and with the box began sliding laconically down the casemate side (this- after thorough sanding and preparation.. >:< ), I had to get the pin vice out, and drill holes for mini bolts.
Here's an update.
As you can see, I finally cursed and cut the casemate roof sufficiently to allow it's mis-shapen bulk to fit in place. :lolno: I will have to sand all the glue splurges off later, when everything has dried; but, for the moment, the box is in place. It still needs two feet, where the box floor connects with the fenders.. :yawn:
:haha:

This assault gun was very nearly assaulted during todays travails... :lolno:
It will also take a lot of subtle filling, and sanding, before it ever sees a topcoat of paint.
Attachments
Asiatam StuG IV spare wheels contained mounted..
Asiatam StuG IV spare wheels contained mounted..
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Brilliant brilliant work very nice job :clap:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

c.rainford73 wrote:Brilliant brilliant work very nice job :clap:
Too generous, Carl. Workmanlike, yes- but brilliant, no :D
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
c.rainford73 wrote:Brilliant brilliant work very nice job :clap:
Too generous, Carl. Workmanlike, yes- but brilliant, no :D
Brilliantly workmanlike to a very high level of design then Image
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

I'm reminded of when my first child was born, we had a Scot locum standing in for our Obstetrician. When she arrived with all digits accounted for and healthy, he pronounced: "It's a wee bonny baby!"

Its a wee bonny wheel box!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:I'm reminded of when my first child was born, we had a Scot locum standing in for our Obstetrician. When she arrived with all digits accounted for and healthy, he pronounced: "It's a wee bonny baby!"

Its a wee bonny wheel box!
Thanks, Carl, for the effusion...sounds like you've been on one of those 'Teambuilding' courses, I was forced to go back in my Local Government days.. :D But..do keep it going: you're doing wonders for my ageing (non-existent) ego :haha:

Wee Bonny wheel box, eh? Estniche, Just imagine how your wife would have felt if your Locum had announced that!. Mind you, after a wee dram or..ten.. anything's possible.
'Wee', by the way, is also related to Weeny' in lowland Scots. Lowland Scots (unlike the Gaelic spoken by Highlanders) was originally a Germanic dialect, like Anglo-Saxon. So, 'Weeny' is related the the German 'wenig'...
My daughter was born 43 years ago, but I still remember just how 'wee' she looked; barely enough to fill two cupped hands, and later what copious quantities of 'wee' (and worse) such a little being could produce :haha:
DO seek to enjoy every minute with them you possibly can. Years have a habit of zooming by. Before you know it, the wee one ('wain' in dialect)..has morphed into a stroppy petulant teenager. Then maybe a mother, then in time..someone who changes your nappies 8O ;)

Return to “Other Builds”