HL Truck Mods

Heng Long/WPL are now manufacturing 1/16 scale RC trucks, so it seemed sensible to create a forum area dedicated to the amazing things that members are doing with them. Post your builds, mods, and tips here.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: HL Truck Mods

Post by c.rainford73 »

Canvas canopy cover for rear cargo area. Electronics are sorted so should be ready to do some video of the new motor tomorrow afternoon.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tanks alot.... :wave:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Carl!
Amazing as usual! Go all the way, Doc and get lenses for the lights. Consider lighting up the turn signals. You have put such cool work into this build. It deserves it.
regards always,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

PainlessWolf wrote:Carl!
Amazing as usual! Go all the way, Doc and get lenses for the lights. Consider lighting up the turn signals. You have put such cool work into this build. It deserves it.
regards always,
Painless
I'm glad you approve my friend.

Would you recommend I make some lenses or is there a supplier you have in mind?

I have a good question when it comes to led lights and such ( maybe you can help me).

I plan on adding the tail lights and was wondering if anyone here has been able to run the led's off the Rx off a spare channel with any success?

As we all know space is limited and Id rather not have to add a second battery with a servo operated switch. ( I've done this with the turnigy operated switch on some builds and it's very nice in a roomy tank hull)

I'm currently running the headlights off of my hobby king receiver now. The stock bright lights blew out initially without a resistor. With some maddening tinkering and some trial and error I've installed a resistor on the positive side of each new bulb and the new led bulbs I received from Mr Max-U52 haven't blown. Does anyone have any tricks or is this correct?

This truck is really addictive BTWImage
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Carl!,
Tamiya clear sprues from either truck or tank kits should do the trick for lenses. As far as the lights, solder the wires to a wire set from a cheap servo and plug them directly into the RX. That way, you get a simple on\off switch for them, like I did with the Convoy light on the late Tiger.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

PainlessWolf wrote:Carl!,
Tamiya clear sprues from either truck or tank kits should do the trick for lenses. As far as the lights, solder the wires to a wire set from a cheap servo and plug them directly into the RX. That way, you get a simple on\off switch for them, like I did with the Convoy light on the late Tiger.
regards,
Painless
Sounds good I'll check that out. I will hunt for some headlight lenses. Image
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

c.rainford73 wrote: I plan on adding the tail lights and was wondering if anyone here has been able to run the led's off the Rx off a spare channel with any success?

Ha! I knew you weren't paying attention! @) @)

Go back and watch the two videos I posted on November 7th and 8th. Those are just plugged right into the RX and I have both head and tail lights, but I'm still experimenting with tail lights. I have 3mm tail lights hooked up now (already swapped out the front 5mm but might change them again), but I picked up a pair of 5mm red and I have some old Mato metal headlights from their very early tanks and I think they'll work well if I just totally remove the stock tail lights and put in the metal buckets with 5mm red LEDs. I did a video that has the buckets in it, too.

I wired all four 5v LEDs (with integral resistor) in parallel and used an extra channel on the RX, only using + and -, leaving signal empty. The lights come on when I power the RX. I'm thinking about using a pico switch for remote on/off but still not sure about this spektrum TX.

Hope that helps
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Yes indeed. I have plenty of lights and resistors so I'll set them up as you noted.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Folks, re the discussion about 20a ESC I found this one and have ordered it
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-ESC-20A-Br ... 2749.l2649
It looks quite small and is very cheap, I'll let you know how it does in my truck once it arrives.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

That's the same esc I'm using Alwyn :thumbup: I'm running a stock motor with a banggood sound emulator, a micro steering servo and a 2s 450mah Lipo and it works just fine :D :D

Cheers , Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hi. For all of those that have the Dasmikro Benedini banggood clone, now I know how it works, and you can wire the leds straight to it. That amazing small and smart unit can do everything what we want, headlights, rear lights, working brake lights, reverse light and a ton of combinations and extra functions like proportional smoke and even can adjust the volume from the transmiter!

It really worths a try and you dont need electronic switches or extra gadjets that take a lot of room from the truck.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/

Return to “Heng Long Trucks”