M-113A1 ACAV APC - Vietnam - Build

lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: M-113A1 ACAV APC - Vietnam - Build

Post by lmcq11 »

Thank you Barry,

Here is the model after a Tamiya TS-28 Olive Drab enamel coat. I like to use enamel in cans for large surface because it is fast and the enamel seals the putty and prevent the oil in it from going through the surface and ruin the paint job. I am also always anxious to see the result of the first coat on a mostly scratch built kit. It was a relatively fast construction period (started October 21) so I expected issues to come out in the open and requiring corrections. At first sight, it is not too bad. My technique is to take close up pictures all around the vehicle and look at them on a big screen. It is easier for my 51 year old eyes to spot areas of improvements or fine tuning.
Ludwig M-113A1 1/16
Ludwig M-113A1 1/16
A great success seems to have been the cupola. Considering that the hatch for example was build from 3 layers of plasticard and then shaped by hand with a file, I think it looks good. The whole thing needs limited adjustments.
Ludwig M-113A1 1/16
Ludwig M-113A1 1/16
I knew the interlocking arrangement of the sheet styrene armored plates would be an issue and require rework. They were quite something to prep for painting. However, just a few of these need minor putty and sanding now, a good surprise, these will be easily fixed. What I really like about these think styrene sheets is that their are naturally very strait, strong and easy to work with, unlike resin.
Ludwig M-113A1 1/16
Ludwig M-113A1 1/16
Ludwig M-113A1 1/16
Ludwig M-113A1 1/16
3D printed items can become an issue when their shape prevents sanding and polishing of their layered composition. I went too fast when ordering mine from Shapeways and I did not select the better but more expensive 'green polished' material. However, road wheel are not the main focus of this build. Seen here is the Tamiya 1/25 Centurion hub cap modified to fit the M113 wheel. Not ideal but I did not find better alternatives. Pershing or M41 hub caps are way too big for the M113 road wheel, believe me, I tried.
Ludwig M-113A1 1/16
Ludwig M-113A1 1/16
I see some stuff for the first time here. I could barely see the joints or cracks in contrasts when the whole thing was white.
Ludwig M-113A1 1/16
Ludwig M-113A1 1/16
Ludwig M-113A1 1/16
Ludwig M-113A1 1/16
Ludwig M-113A1 1/16
Ludwig M-113A1 1/16
Next step is to make corrections, clean up residue all over the vehicle, sand and polish a bit, then a bit more, then give a light coat and see if I am happy with it.

Regards, Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Looks excellent
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

I just used TS-28 on my M51 and it's now acrylic...

Looks good with a coat of the green stuff.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

It looks spectacular when it's all in one colour Louis, the detail really pops. Truly inspirational work, it is a model to be proud of for sure.

With regards to smoothing 3D-printed parts in hard-to-reach areas, you can try a heat gun or solvent vapour. It might be a bit late now that they're painted, though.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

The model is cleaned up, polished and another coat of enamel primer was applied. The road wheels were sanded the best I could and look better now, unless you put the camera 1 inch from them. The model is ready to be given light undulating coats of OD acrylic to remove this shiny new look and create a weathered tank.
1/16 M-113 acav
1/16 M-113 acav
Mostly worked on the interior today, painted Tamiya acrylic XF-21 Sky (a light green) which is a good match, floor is flat aluminum and the weathering was done with black and dark steel pigments.
1/16 M-113 acav
1/16 M-113 acav
The sign was scanned from 1/35 scale decals, expanded to 1/16, printed on paper and glued. This is a very important addition to the interior because it brings color and the sign is interesting by itself. More signs will be added.
1/16 M-113 acav
1/16 M-113 acav
As you can see, it is also important to have the right type and size of treadplate. Some vendors are using a type that is too large for the scale.
1/16 M-113 acav
1/16 M-113 acav
The interior with night light on, without central console. You can notice the locking mechanism for the roof trap on the ceiling. I am noticing a few things to correct through.
1/16 M-113 acav
1/16 M-113 acav
Same view with the central console in but still temporarily in place. The illusion of scale is almost perfect, please come in !

I have to say from a personal perspective that the results of the scratch built interior is above expectations.
1/16 M-113 acav
1/16 M-113 acav
I prepared the radios and intercom sets, and determine the wiring arrangement. I found help on the web at http://www.radionerds.com/index.php/AN/VRC-12
AN/VRC-12 radio
AN/VRC-12 radio
The Shapeways AN/VRC-12 and VIC-1 Intercom sets are very nicely detailed but expensive, so this is a luxury. All they require is the addition of the brass rod handles at the front. The sets are large and I have now US radio material for at least 2 more models. There is no way I could have scratch built these, not to this exquisite level. The sets and the wiring will next be added to the interior and will add a lot of value.
AN/VRC-12 radio
AN/VRC-12 radio
Regards, Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Louis you never cease to amaze usThat damn interior looks like I'm staring into the real thing wow!
Tanks alot.... :wave:
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Showing any vehicle in action in Vietnam means mud, lots of it as shown in these snapshots from Squadron Signal M113 APC in Vietnam, which is a must have reference for this build. Highly recommended.
Squadron Signal M113 APC in Vietnam
Looks like there will never be enough mud to put on, or a mess to create inside. However, got to be realistic also that the vehicle is in my house, not in Vietnam. Don't want to leave a trail of mud on the floor, and it has to look good... Next post will show the model after my first attempt at mudding it, a bit...

Regards, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

As you saw in earlier posts, leaving the vehicle in enamel OD and clean makes it look like a decommissioned outdoor display for city hall. This M113 model needs to be in action in Vietnam. So, no choice but to get it dirty and nothing is best in my views than Mig dust pigments applied with fixer.

Below is my initial attempt. I will likely finetune it for the week to come until i am satisfied with it. Sadly, i did not receive yet the letter transfers i had ordered to show the "US Army xxx" on each sides but will do so later, although having appied the pigments will made me redo that area in order to have a clean base for them.

You might want to scroll backward to remember how it was.

First, a coat of Tamiya XF-62 acrylic was applied, followed by pigments of various colors. Some more reddish pigments will likely be added later on the wheels, tracks and lower hull. I just want to be careful with this stuff and not overdue it and ruin the model. I will do it a little bit at a time.
1/16 Ludwig M113 Acav
1/16 Ludwig M113 Acav
1/16 Ludwig M113 Acav
1/16 Ludwig M113 Acav
1/16 Ludwig M113 Acav
1/16 Ludwig M113 Acav
1/16 Ludwig M113 Acav
1/16 Ludwig M113 Acav
1/16 Ludwig M113 Acav
1/16 Ludwig M113 Acav
1/16 Ludwig M113 Acav
1/16 Ludwig M113 Acav
1/16 Ludwig M113 Acav
1/16 Ludwig M113 Acav
1/16 Ludwig M113 Acav
1/16 Ludwig M113 Acav
Regards, Louis
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Simply Magnificent :clap: :clap:
The close ups look very real.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi, thank you

Here the radios, Intercom set and speaker are installed.
Shapeways radio and intercom sets
Regards, Louis

Return to “Modern Builds”