M-113A1 ACAV APC - Vietnam - Build

c.rainford73
Major

Re: M-113A1 ACAV APC - Vietnam - Build

Post by c.rainford73 »

Louis it looks spectacular. The brass guards and plasticard mounts are quite nice. As usual you have overcome the hurdles of these kits and continue to amaze us
Tanks alot.... :wave:
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

I was not happy with the headlamps base so I refined them (in situ) with a blade to make them closer to scale and realism. Added a Meng nut under each like I saw in pictures.
M113 headlamps
M113 headlamps
M113 headlamps
M113 headlamps
Also built the 2 hooks of the front plate. They are made of 2mm brass rod, crushed and filed, with Meng nuts. Look ok but they could have been a bit ticker.
M113 headlamps
M113 headlamps
M113 headlamps
M113 headlamps
I long debated as to which orientation to put the 4 nuts holes on this front plate hatch (+ or X or something in between). This hatch seems to rotate somehow because I saw variations in pictures.
Ludwigs M113
Ludwigs M113
Regards, Louis
Marc780
Corporal

Post by Marc780 »

This is amazing work here... I'm still wondering why nobody like Tamiya or Heng long has thought to put out a 1/16" model of this? Seems like it would be a cinch to design, boxy shape plus a cavernous interior ready to be stuffed with motors and all the rest. Of course the first thing I'd do with it, would be a quicky waterproof job then into the water...
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Great job on the lights. I ran across this the other day...

http://tw-modelltechnik.eshop.t-online. ... gory1/M113

He has the front and rear lights for the M113.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

That is just fantastic... Cant wait to see it finished :D
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Taking shape nicely.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

tankme wrote:Great job on the lights. I ran across this the other day...

http://tw-modelltechnik.eshop.t-online. ... gory1/M113

He has the front and rear lights for the M113.
Thanks, I wish I had seen this 1 months ago... I am sure others will benefit from the tip. Now, if someone know of an M-113 cupola available on the market, this is the time to mention it... :D
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Louis I do like how you remodeled the headlights. Keep up the great work
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Could you not get it 3d printed by someone?
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Presenting the M-113 trim vane.

This is a highly visible and important moving part of the model, it should not be neglected. The trim vane is made of plywood in real life, with metal plate re-enforcements on top and bottom. Ludwigs is providing the sheet for the main part and the arm, everything else was scratch built.
M-113 trim vane
M-113 trim vane
M-113 trim vane
M-113 trim vane
Careful study of the M-113 is required to try to reproduce the complex double hinge system as best as possible. I spent maybe 6 hours on the trim vane. But someone really meticulous who wants to make it all working like the real thing would need to spend a lot more. Standard micro hinges were used. Meng nuts are a must for the look and were positioned according to references.
M-113 trim vane
M-113 trim vane
M-113 trim vane
M-113 trim vane
Of course, the time vane was made functional, the best I could. Well, actually the best I could with the time I was willing to spend on it.
M-113 trim vane
M-113 trim vane
The handle for the engine hood as added and must be made to fit exactly in the slot of the trim vane when closed.
M-113 trim vane
M-113 trim vane
That little notch for the headlights guard is important and exists in real life. I redid the metal re-enforcements on both sides of the vane using a thinner plasticard than the kit provided for the front face. The notch was relocated correctly at the same time according to my headlight guard position.
M-113 trim vane
M-113 trim vane
The only area left to design is the attachment of the arm with the trim vane. Still not sure about it. The M-113 has a complex mechanism that is almost impossible to recreate using simple tools so I will need to simplify into some kind of hook when I will leave the time vane lowered. The underside does not show much unless you permanently leave it lowered.
M-113 trim vane
M-113 trim vane
Regards, Louis

Return to “Modern Builds”